No announcement yet.

Question about '54 and '55 pickup cabs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about '54 and '55 pickup cabs.

Today at a local show, there was a beautifully done short box 1/2t, described as a '55 Studebaker.

It had a small rear window

and what looked to me to be a '54 grille and headlight rings.

I complimented the owner on many nice touches, including the firewall cover,

but questioned the year. He says he has this argument at every show and stated as fact Studebaker built some '54s with large back windows and some '55s with small back windows. His truck is titled as a 1955.

It's such a beautiful truck, and so modified the year is really immaterial, but in my seventy years of looking at Stude trucks, I've never seen or heard anyone say there were small window '55s. What's the expert opinion here?

jack vines
    PackardV8

It could have been a '54 titled as a '55 due to being sold in '55. I once had the opportunity to purchase a '65 Champ. It was well optioned including air, overdrive, chrome valve covers, factory step bumper, etc. It came out of southern Idaho and was apparently special ordered by a dealer for personal use. Somewhat regrettably I passed on the deal due to already having too large a fleet.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Very likely a 1954 as they did have the One Piece Front and Small Back Glass, the ONLY Year that happened.

Large Back Glass 1954's? I don't think so!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich is right -- just another urban legend. Besides the fact that the story is bogus, there's no logical reason why it would have happened. The truck plant was only working one shift a day in those days, and even then was making more trucks than the company could sell. It shut down for two or three weeks in Aug-Sep 1954 for model changeover, so there was plenty of time to get the cab parts in order.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation. His truck to do with as he will, but can't customize the facts. It is what it is, a '54.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Perhaps during the restoration, the rusty cab was replaced with an earlier model. A beautiful truck in stunning silver none the less. Maybe, a digit mistake at some time at the DMV?
            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
            sigpic
            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
              Perhaps during the restoration, the rusty cab was replaced with an earlier model. A beautiful truck in stunning silver none the less. Maybe, a digit mistake at some time at the DMV?
              Replacement cab was a thought that came to me too. I have seen that before.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Lots of possible ways it could have happened -- but the urban myth explanation is not plausible.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Definitely a 54 cab- it would also appear he's running the 54 hood front script, instead of the larger, one-year only 55 one.
                  Evan Davis
                  Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Working...
                  X