Drove my Studebaker today - sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove my Studebaker today - sort of

It was a brilliantly clear, warm day on this first day of summer, so I rolled the replica Indy car out of the garage for some photos. The engine doesn't run yet and the brakes don't work, but the major pieces are there. It rolls and steers, the firewall and dash panel are in, and it's coming together. This was its first time out of the garage since the project began. I at least imagined driving down the road at speed...

Click image for larger version

Name:	gary_at_the_wheel_062116.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1751219Click image for larger version

Name:	indy_car_front.jpg
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1751220Click image for larger version

Name:	indy-car_rear_qtr.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	1751221
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Looks good Gary , but you promised me a ride at this years International ...... Nice job!
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Let's face it...this car is amazing!....It shows us what determination can accomplish!

Comment

Just fabulous...I love it already!
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Very cool! All the best with the project!
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

Tell the truth, were you making motor noises while steering it out there?
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Looking great Gary!
              I can almost see your Studebaker racing around on the boards at Amatol!
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I would have definately been making vroom noises! Looks very very good Gary! All of one piece.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Wowzer! Admit it guys, every one of us would have been making vroom-vroom noises puncuated with imitation tyre screaming sounds too if we had our butt in that seat, even me. Oh, I grew up in the dawn of the rear engine era, this still gets my juices flowing.

Ken

Comment

As usual, your attention to detail is showing.
                    Seeing the car with no body helps emphasize how far back the driver sits. I never took real notice of how close the rear wheels are.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                      It was a brilliantly clear, warm day on this first day of summer, so I rolled the replica Indy car out of the garage for some photos. The engine doesn't run yet and the brakes don't work, but the major pieces are there. It rolls and steers, the firewall and dash panel are in, and it's coming together. This was its first time out of the garage since the project began. I at least imagined driving down the road at speed...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55550[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]55552[/ATTACH]
                      Gary...I've watched your progress for years now. Not ashamed to say I'm a fan of your work. Don't know if you recall, but a couple of years ago, at the York swap meet, you allowed me to thumb through your project notebook, while we were in the snack bar. Great drawings, documentation, and photos. Much better planned, organized, and professional than my "hillbilly" improvising below.

Whether "Creating, Re-creating, or Restoring...we often use the term...LABOR OF LOVE. To me, it describes a process where the ENJOYMENT OF THE ACTIVITY, overshadows the time involve or the hope of monetary profit. The smile on your face in the picture...says it all!!!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A Plexiglass body would be the way to go.

Comment

Beautiful ! The 1st time you get to drive this car on a track will really be a "Great Race" no matter the results ! Always enjoy your posts.

Comment

Working...
                          X