New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project

My wife has had a 57 Transtar for a bunch of years and used it in a business she had. She parked it behind her mont garage in 02 and shut it off and it's never been touched since. Making a long story shorter we went to a car show last weekend and she saw one which was quite nicely done and she said she wants hers out again. Well i built custom cars for a number of years and when we married I promised her one car to her liking, last weekend she made her choice. It's chassis # is E7-8264, model is 3E7-12. From what I read here a 3E7 is a half ton and a 3E12 is a 3/4 ton. This is a 3E7-12 so which is it???. The tuck is straight, no rust other than surface rust, it has a long bed a V8 and auto trans with a 2bbl and it is missing nothing as it was a driver when she parked it. I'm trying to decide what the beast way is to go doing it as a stocker or put a late model drive train in it. I will do discs, power steering and AC and the choices make a long list so any ideas/ experiences would be great to hear because she's leaving it up to me. Thanks

I believe the 12 refers to the long wheelbase for the 8 foot bed. Does it have the longer bed? If it all there I would keep it stock. These are nice trucks. Maybe install an electric fuel pump. You could also install a Pertronix electronic ignition which works great and is practically invisible to the casual observer. Disc brakes are a good idea. Power steering and A/C are also doable with the stock engine. Putting a modern drive train in might be a good idea of you were starting with a blown engine or none at all, but the Studebaker engines are very durable and should serve you well. It also makes it more desirable later if you want to sell it.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Yes, the 12 refers to the wheelbase, in this case 112", which would be the short wheelbase.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Yes, the 12 refers to the wheelbase, in this case 112", which would be the short wheelbase.
        Oops! Sorry. I got mixed up on that. Still working on that first cup of coffee. Thanks rockne10.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

As stated above, a 3E7-12 is a 57/58 1/2-ton pickup with a 112" WB and a 6' box. A 122" WB with an 8' box was available, but that would have been a 3E7-22. How long is the box?
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Bill, did I read it right that this truck is an automatic??? If so, that is one rare bird! If this is a factory-equipped automatic truck, I would respectfully beg you to either sell it off and modify another truck or to please restore this with the original drive train. As somewhat of a stick-in-the-mud in the way of modifieds (LOL, ask anyone on this forum), I would usually read this and then (try anyway to) just stay out of the conversation. However in a case like this, do please consider the rarity of this vehicle as stock. If the drive train has been modified, then my comments are moot. The Museum can provide you with the production order for your Wife's truck and let you know what it left the factory with.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thanks every one for the responses, Her family were Studebaker family and I think there is still a few boxes of parts plus an extra engine and trans. The WB is 112 in, I spent some today over looking at it to see what all is there. The only thing I found that didn't work right is the passenger door latch wheel spins so I asked her and she said a spring broke or fell off the latch assembly. The truck still has an oil bath air filter and it has a good sized trans cooler in front of the radiator. I pulled the mats out of the cab and there is no rust whatsoever. She had a 60 wagon years ago that she drove back and fourth to Canada to attend college from So Cal and when she was done they got a 55 coupe and her and her dad did a frame off restoration on it. I am going to put a battery in it and some fuel to see if it will run, she feels certain it will as it did for many years. She stated it ran real well when she backed it behind the garage and shut it off. I think the keys were in the ignition for a few years until she noticed them there. Heck I looked in the radiator and it still had coolant in it. I looked in their garage and there are several Studebaker shop manuals so I brought them home to study a bit, i'm retired so I have time to fool around a bit.
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't reply, it is an automatic and from what I read it is a three speed so this might get real interesting.

Comment

I'd keep the OEM drive train, but install a front end splice that allows PS. I have seen an ad for a MOPAR van of some sort, that allow for grafting over, to include PS. If that swap does not include DB, you could always install a Turner conversion kit for the DBs.

Other than that, once the bugs are ironed out, and cosmetics done to your wife's content, it'd be time to drive and enjoy it.

Comment

I haven't really looked at it closely enough but I'm sure a GM 500 steering gear would work as a PS install. I say that because I put a couple in older Chevys that I was working on. I have done a couple of restorations both for large automotive dealers for showroom displays and a number? of hot rod upgrades while working in a couple of hot rod shops. Turn out this truck has been in her family since the early 70's and it was exactly like it is when they bought it.

Comment

A GM power steering box is a fairly easy fit. My brother has one on his 57 Transtar with a Studebaker type pump and it works well.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

not sure what type of pump Studebaker used as this will be my first time working with one, I would imagine there were brackets as well but again it's the beginning so a lot to learn.

Comment

I Agree with Studeclunker on this: Find out what it really is by spending the $50 on the Production Order. If it's a true Automatic truck then it's too rare to cut up or modify. Restore back to factory. If you want a Rod type truck, then I would find one that's a 6 and cut that one up.

If you do cut it up, I need some of the Auto-specific parts myself as I'm putting one back together that I rescued from the garbage can (parts truck status) that was a True Automatic with TT....

It may have been the Twin to yours as it was delivered to Pasedena originally.

Comment

Newest update, like folks are watching closely.... The engine # is the registration vehicle ID# as was stated somewhere in all this. The truck has a 12 volt negative ground system with an alternator. I grabbed the fan and belt and it turned without issue but the water pump gave in and the front seal started leaking so the first casualty. The trans in automatic as mentioned, the only # was stamped on a plate 10203. The bed is 57 in wide and 78 in long so I think it's a short bed. The steering column has a spacer above it lowering the wheel position but no brackets for the pedals have been changed so it's been an automatic since berth. It does have an industrial strength rear bumperClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC02446.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1707381, not sure of it's OEM.

Comment

in 57/58'...the pedals would've been through-the-floor types unless modified...love this find......

Comment

Working...
                              X