Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost a Hub Cap....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lost a Hub Cap....

    Drove my Studebaker this morning for a photo shoot in Downtown Tulsa. Somewhere along the way, the good ol' bumpy Oklahoma roads lead to me loosing a hub cap. i drove back over my route 3 times looking for it. No Luck!!! sad day, these things were original hub caps that my grandfather paid good money for.

    So if anyone comes across one forsale in Oklahoma... It is probably mine.


    On the bright side, the photo shoot was great! I'll post pictures later this week.

    -Joe

    Click image for larger version

Name:	13458588_10154179487075729_2574973104074679568_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1751181

    "Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

  • #2
    in '98, I bought a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan....the only problem was I was in Illinois and it was in Seattle. It was too expensive to have it transported home, so my daughter took the train out & made a vacation out of driving it home, hitting as many of the classic tourist stops along the way. Every evening I would have to re-locate 2 of the wheel covers because they were rotating & putting the valve stem in a real bind. At the time, I didn't realize there were little "tabs" welded on the original wheels to keep the wheel covers from moving. I figure it was a case of radial tires on flimsy original type wheels.....
    Mike S

    Comment


    • #3
      That has probably become someone's really Cool wall hanging by now.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        Know the feeling all to well!
        I was driving my 1950 Land Cruiser down Main Street in Glassboro NJ.
        Heard that familiar sound of a hub cap hitting the pavement and rolling away!
        Never did find it! I searched and searched for it, it just disappeared!
        Of course the Land Cruiser hub cap was different and I couldn't find a replacement. This is in the pre Internet days. Parts guy at Fortum Motor Co. In Bridgeboro fixed me up with a truck hub cap and clips.
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

        "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

        Comment


        • #5
          Having gone through this with wheelcovers, never hub caps, I have discovered that they always travel much further than one would expect. I can not recall ever giving up the search until I found the cover. Of course, you do not want to wait before searching because someone else may find it before you.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

          SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

          Comment


          • #6
            Darnit, that's a bummer. If I lived closer I'd walk that three miles for you and I bet I could find it!

            Don't give up that it's in the ditch there somewhere.

            Peanut loves stretching his legs!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140203_135739_355-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1707331

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
              Drove my Studebaker this morning for a photo shoot in Downtown Tulsa. Somewhere along the way, the good ol' bumpy Oklahoma roads lead to me loosing a hub cap. i drove back over my route 3 times looking for it. No Luck!!! sad day, these things were original hub caps that my grandfather paid good money for.

              So if anyone comes across one forsale in Oklahoma... It is probably mine.


              On the bright side, the photo shoot was great! I'll post pictures later this week.

              -Joe

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]55442[/ATTACH]

              No where near as rare as your caps, but I went through the same thing with my '55 Speedster. (The Doctor's Car)...I lost a wire wheel cover center cap on the road. ($$$)....That's when I learned to 'glue' them on at three points with a 1/4" strip of clear silicone!

              Comment


              • #8
                As the kids say now, 'I feel your pain dooooode,' having lost one over the cliff on our driveway. Same thing, the clangity-clang of the wheel cover coming off and then a quick flash and it was gone! My one consolation is that '64 wheel covers are not that hard to find.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have lost a wheel cover off my '52 Commander but, like SN60, used some clear silicone in several places, where the outer edge of the cover meets the rim, no more problems.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
                    Drove my Studebaker this morning for a photo shoot in Downtown Tulsa. Somewhere along the way, the good ol' bumpy Oklahoma roads lead to me loosing a hub cap. i drove back over my route 3 times looking for it. No Luck!!! sad day, these things were original hub caps that my grandfather paid good money for.

                    So if anyone comes across one for sale in Oklahoma... It is probably mine.

                    On the bright side, the photo shoot was great! I'll post pictures later this week.

                    -Joe

                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]55442[/ATTACH]
                    Is your '40 a President or Commander? I had the caps for the Commander (same as '41 Commander and M Series 1/2 ton tucks) reproduced. Sold them all and then sold the tooling to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International. They are still available from him at $75 ea.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                      Is your '40 a President or Commander? I had the caps for the Commander (same as '41 Commander and M Series 1/2 ton tucks) reproduced. Sold them all and then sold the tooling to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International. They are still available from him at $75 ea.
                      Mine is a President.

                      "Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have found another set of President hub caps, but the lettering is different. here is a picture of the one I lost. I am still crying....
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	13443220_10154182272960729_7789869828347729988_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1707353

                        "Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Still thinking it's there buy the road somewhere! Darnit assemble a search party!

                          Dean.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Okiejoe86 View Post
                            Mine is a President.
                            FYI the Commander cap is identical to the President with the exception that the word President is not included. In other words they will fit perfectly and look the same with the only difference being the name. Just a thought to have a cap on it while you are looking for the correct one. A set of 4 of the Presidents were sold at the South Bend swap meet in May.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                              still thinking it's there buy the road somewhere! Darnit assemble a search party!

                              Dean.

                              call in the hounds!!!!!!!

                              - - - Updated - - -

                              Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                              FYI the Commander cap is identical to the President with the exception that the word President is not included. In other words they will fit perfectly and look the same with the only difference being the name. Just a thought to have a cap on it while you are looking for the correct one. A set of 4 of the Presidents were sold at the South Bend swap meet in May.
                              I took the other three off and hung them on the garage wall. Don't want to risk loosing another one. Thanks for the idea about the commander hubs!

                              "Spilling a beer is the adult equivalent of a kid letting go of a Balloon."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X