Late Turning Wheels?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Turning Wheels?????

I know there was an earlier thread, about the June Turning Wheels. Much earlier...like last month! Usually, I try to be patient, and understanding regarding the huge effort it takes to gather the content, edit, print it, and get it mailed. After a few days of folks commenting on the great content, I began to anticipate the arrival of my copy. I usually get mine before the first of the month, or, at least the fifth of the current month. This month, however, I've been so busy with my garden, and animals, that I had completely forgotten about the magazine.

Today, after working in 95 degree weather, rebuilding a chicken coup, constructing nests, feeders, etc., at about 3PM, exhausted, I shoved my tools into the barn floor, closed the doors, and made my way into the house for an overdue shower. As I entered the house, my wife informed me that she had prepared a few treats and a meal that we needed to deliver to my mom at the nursing home.

By the time we returned from the nursing home, some pretty aggressive thunderstorms came rolling in. It was about dark when my wife asked if I had brought in the mail? Shucks...I had forgotten all about that, which is unusual for me. So, I go to the mailbox, and there it is!!! Half a month later than usual, my June Turning Wheels. And, I don't think I can stay awake long enough to read it tonight.

Is there a logical reason it's so late? Have others experienced similar delays for this month?

I think of all the hard work Stu Chapman did last year. Studying and keeping up with deliveries worldwide. Things seemed to improve. I hope this is not the start of a trend.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Hey John, we received our June issue in Canada today also.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Mine was late this month also.

Comment

Yours must have gotten "hung up" in the US Mail somewhere. I received my June issue on May 31.

I received my May issue on May 11. It was the May issue and not the June issue that I had started a prior thread/topic on. I never did get an answer as to when it was mailed and why it was late.

EDIT: I can not understand delivering a meal to a nursing home. Both nursing homes that Cathy and my father were in served good nutritious meals with a choice of entrees and accommodations for special needs (they should for what they charge).
        Last edited by studegary; 06-14-2016, 06:28 PM.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Last year I was having problems for my copy to arrive sometimes 3 months late but the past few months have arrived a couple of days from others in Calif. I hope I haven't tempted the gods of the U.S. Mail by saying this !
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

'Probably an anomaly, John. They've been arriving on time here in central Indiana ever since that burp last year, which seemed to be nationwide. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

mine is late as well.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Yours must have gotten "hung up" in the US Mail somewhere. I received my June issue on May 31.

I received my May issue on May 11. It was the May issue and not the June issue that I had started a prior thread/topic on. I never did get an answer as to when it was mailed and why it was late.

EDIT: I can not understand delivering a meal to a nursing home. Both nursing homes that Cathy and my father were in served good nutritious meals with a choice of entrees and accommodations for special needs (they should for what they charge).
                Gary, although I have never seen a "perfect" nursing home, this particular one is the best I've encountered, so far. Instead of a large institutional looking structure, it is a series of "Cottages," with only 12 residents in private rooms. The caregiver to patient ratio is much better too.

This facility has a full time dietician, and they offer alternatives to foods patients don't like, or refuse to eat. Although Mom is 95, she is alert, knowledgeable, and regrets that her physical limitations make her dependent on others. While she is surrounded by other elders who have lost much of their mental capacities, she has little tolerance for family, or staff, condescendingly, speaking to her, or treating her, as if she has lost her faculties. In fact, when she first moved to this facility, one of the first things she had me do, is help her get registered to vote in this county.

"Delivering" the meal has very little to do with the quality of the food. But, along with a home cooked meal, I am doing my best to deliver love, respect, and comfort to the person who devoted the very essence of her youth, doing the same for my brothers/sisters, and myself. After years of day/night care to raise the six children she birthed, three more adopted, and untold hours of volunteer community service, she deserves "special" attention.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                'Probably an anomaly, John. They've been arriving on time here in central Indiana ever since that burp last year, which seemed to be nationwide. BP
                Bob..."anomaly"...at least this time, and, hopefully will not become the "Norm."
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm just happy mine arrived yesterday... in the UK!
                  Richard
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    "Delivering" the meal has very little to do with the quality of the food. But, along with a home cooked meal, I am doing my best to deliver love, respect, and comfort to the person who devoted the very essence of her youth, doing the same for my brothers/sisters, and myself. After years of day/night care to raise the six children she birthed, three more adopted, and untold hours of volunteer community service, she deserves "special" attention.
                    Gary doesn't understand because he doesn't have kids or grandkids.

Craig

Comment

My response to Gary's post was not intended to disparage Gary. But, as much of our internet communication is subject to "misinterpretation," it was meant to expand, explain, and hopefully, clarify my motives. For all of us, how we express our compassion, is shaped by our experience. We handle it differently due to our level of insight, and what our totality of "life experience" has given us. No two are alike. My intent, was to provide a little "backdrop," of my day, and the length of the delay of receiving my Turning Wheels, had impacted me. I went from anticipation, to disappointment, to giving up/forgetting, to a pleasant surprise when it finally did arrive.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I received my Turning Wheels today, later than anticipated. I know that Stu worked hard last year to ascertain delivery times, I worked with Stu and he did a great job of informing the membership of shipping times etc. We now have no one performing this task and when things are delayed for various reasons we are not informed. It is the lack of information not the delivery date. Our TWs for the most part are on time. It is those times they are late without an explanation that is frustrating. Perhaps someone in the know could inform us of delays. Unless contacted by the board I am unwilling to contact the printer as to his time of receipt and shipping date as I did for well over one year. As I stated before Stu did a great job of informing the membership. If no one informs Stu he cannot pass along the message.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Gary doesn't understand because he doesn't have kids or grandkids.

Craig
                          That has nothing to do with it and I think that your comment is uncalled for. John C. was very politely answering my comment. John referenced a child doing for his parents as they did for him (not for a parent doing for his children or grandchildren). I can certainly understand that as I had aged parents including my father that went into a nursing home when he was 101. I visited him nearly every day, but did not feel a need to deliver food to him (other things, yes). Just this year, my wife, Cathy, has been in two different nursing homes. My father in law and aunt were also in nursing homes for years. What is the extent of your first hand experience with nursing homes?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I visited him nearly every day, but did not feel a need to deliver food to him (other things, yes). Just this year, my wife, Cathy, has been in two different nursing homes. My father in law and aunt were also in nursing homes for years. What is the extent of your first hand experience with nursing homes?
                            Back in the 1970's, my great-grandmother was in a nursing home. She had more than adequate care while she was there, and according to her, the food served was 'very good', but not much in variety. Therefore, she did appreciate some home-cooked Ukrainian food once in a while from the children of a former neighbor of hers, and my mom always sent her baked goods at Xmas.

Your comment implies it is an 'insult' to the nursing home staff when you show up with your own food, which it not.

Craig

Comment

Info I have is that the June issue was received by the printer on 5/11/16 and mailed on 5/25/16. Manufacturing time the past 12 months has ranged from 7-11 days from receipt.

Frank van Doorn
                              Director

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                              I received my Turning Wheels today, later than anticipated. I know that Stu worked hard last year to ascertain delivery times, I worked with Stu and he did a great job of informing the membership of shipping times etc. We now have no one performing this task and when things are delayed for various reasons we are not informed. It is the lack of information not the delivery date. Our TWs for the most part are on time. It is those times they are late without an explanation that is frustrating. Perhaps someone in the know could inform us of delays. Unless contacted by the board I am unwilling to contact the printer as to his time of receipt and shipping date as I did for well over one year. As I stated before Stu did a great job of informing the membership. If no one informs Stu he cannot pass along the message.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X