X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Coupe Express's All in a Row

Taken at UMV Zone meet

Very pretty! Maybe it's "expressi"?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Great shot!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Very pretty! Maybe it's "expressi"?
        Actually, Scott; the correct plural is Coupes Express because Express describes Coupes.

'Sort of like having two married sisters, in which case you'd have two brothers-in-law, not two brother-in-laws. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

37 38 38 39 nice. Didn't know they made CE with cathedral headlight. But... I like it.
          John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Actually, Scott; the correct plural is Coupes Express because Express describes Coupes.

'Sort of like having two married sisters, in which case you'd have two brothers-in-law, not two brother-in-laws. BP
            Thanks, Bob! I'm glad you set us all straight on that one. Must be derived from French grammar.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Bob,
              Isn't it a proper noun? The model name is Studebaker Coupe Express.

Wouldn't it be 4 1949 Buick Roadmaster Rivieras, not 4 1949 Buick Roadmasters Riviera?

I know three guys named Doug Smith. That's three Doug Smiths, not three Dougs Smith.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Total value of all four together??

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Thanks, Bob! I'm glad you set us all straight on that one. Must be derived from French grammar.
                  Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  Bob,

Wouldn't it be 4 1949 Buick Roadmaster Rivieras, not 4 1949 Buick Roadmasters Riviera?

I know three guys named Doug Smith. That's three Doug Smiths, not three Dougs Smith.

Gosh, you fellas sound like my dear old Mum. She had a degree in English and never let us forget it.

Beautiful trucks, every one of them!
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

No one bothered to mentioned (because they likely did not know) that the first truck (the yellow '39), is on the longer wheelbase President Eight chassis. Not a factory product but nonetheless neat! There is also one 1938 on a President chassis in Calif. It was first shown at the Sacramento meet in 2003.

By the way I vote for Coupes Expresses! Or how about Express Coupes?

Here's mine. I have a meet in my driveway every few days. No travel expenses, no motel bills and I always win best of show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	009 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1707202
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I think Bob is right. Coupe Express, as noted above, is really sorta based on romantic languages, where the adjective follows the noun, like attorney general (the plural is attorneys general). So only the noun, coupe, gets the plural "s". Riviera may have started out as an adjective, but was used as a noun (originally to mean 2-door hardtop) by Buick and the rest of us.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        Bob,

The Buicks are a good example, Kurt, and it would indeed be four Buick Roadmaster Rivieras, because Roadmaster describes Riviera, just like Express "sort of" describes Coupes.

(I.e., you could also have Super Rivieras, if you remember). BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Two more photos if I did the upload correctly
                          Attached Files

Comment

Though I really detest red, the yellow and red ones are my personal picks. LOVE the styling on them. Could never afford them and I have been told the leg/headroom are tight for someone my height, so wouldn't likely want one anyway. Doesn't stop me from admiring a beautiful vehicle though! I think these beat the El Camino any day!
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Couple of questions: Were the sealed beam headlamps on the yellow '39 correct or are those 1940? Also, enlighten me on the different designations for the two '38s...President and Commander? I drooled over these at the Zone meet.. all are fabulous examples.
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X