URGENT front hub and drum needed Baton Rouge, LA AREA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT front hub and drum needed Baton Rouge, LA AREA

We are on the Hot Rod Power Tour and we spun a race inside the left front wheel bearing. It chewed on the hub.

Is there anyone in the area with a hub/ drum Assembly in reasonable condition that I can buy and get back on the road TODAY?

Please PM me ASAP.
    Last edited by BILT4ME; 06-11-2016, 10:41 AM.
    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

That inner bearing and race are pretty common, long as you can reuse the hub. Even if the hub is toast, you may be able to limp the car through the rest of the tour with a new bearing and race. I highly recommend against anything over the speed limit though. If that bearing completely goes, when at high speed, the results could be disastrous.
    Please be careful out there

Comment

Uh oh, didn't see this until after I saw your other post. Are you dead at a hotel or does it still roll?

Comment

We cobbled it together by peening the inner part if the hub, then epoxied the new race in place. Put in new outer bearing and race and going to limp along. Bought an extra set of bearings but couldn't find seals. So making it work..........

Comment

Maybe post the route so anyone who can help by delivering parts knows where and when?

Comment

The next stop in Baytown TX then to Austin TX .

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Sunday, 6/12/16:
              I-10 West and US 30 west
              I-10 West to Lafayette, LA
              Hwy 90 West to Orange
              Hwy 87 and 73 west to Winnie
              I-10 West to Beaumont (Royal Purple Raceway)

Comment

From what I see the power tour goes to Austin then to Grand Pairie TX. I assume that you would be using I-35 in which case you'd be passing right by Mark Frank and he should be able to get you the part you need and assist in its installation.

Comment

https://image.adam.automotive.com/f/...S3-JUN%203.pdf

turn by turn route schedule
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Do you happen to have contact information? It's been squealing today, but we kept it loose and slow. It's definitely spinning the race in the hub.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks 61Lark!

Comment

Sounds like 61Lark has gotten a hub to you? Hope so, because it sounds like you are close to walking, if the race is now spinning in the hub.

Comment

Marks Info from the Studebaker Vendor List = MDS ENGINE SERVICE MARK FRANK 15156 SOUTH IH 35 BRUCEVILLE TEXAS 76630. http://www.studebakervendors.com/mds/index.htm ------ I have sent you a PM with his phone and e-mail info Call me at 817-nine two 4 - zero 6 two 2. Hopefully I will get to see you tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks George!

I REALLY appreciate the contact information for Mark Frank. I called him after you and I talked, he asked what I needed, I let him know that I needed a smooth brake drum hub to fit a 59 Lark with V8. He told me he had one on hand, would pull it, and get it ready.

We arrived at Mark's shop about 30 minutes later, and he had it out, cleaned up, and ready for us! We pulled the old one off, slid the new one on, and would have been back on the road it an hour or less if it wasn't for me wanting to talk and talk and talk.

Mark was kind enough to show us his shop and what all he can do for us Studebaker owners. He will rebuild anything Studebaker, and currently has a an engine rebuild on a Champ and a President he is working on. He does engine boring, honing, cam grinding, and well as all other things mechanical.

We got the hub on and my son made sure to test that it worked by trying to make up time on the interstate.Everything works as it should now.

George, Sorry we missed you at the venue. On the entrance area into the venue, there was an alleyway we had to pass through, and everyone sat in line idling. We pegged at 245*F and the car died due to vapor lock. I hate ethanol! We did NOT have any of those problems when we were able to run pure gas. Fortunately, we were nnot the only one. There was a 64 Impala and a 84 Camaro that had similar problems.

Thanks again to a GREAT forum and the great people that are willing to help out other Studebaker owners.

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
                          Marks Info from the Studebaker Vendor List = MDS ENGINE SERVICE MARK FRANK 15156 SOUTH IH 35 BRUCEVILLE TEXAS 76630. http://www.studebakervendors.com/mds/index.htm ------ I have sent you a PM with his phone and e-mail info Call me at 817-nine two 4 - zero 6 two 2. Hopefully I will get to see you tomorrow.

Comment

Woo Hoo! Keep us posted on your progress. I love reading this stuff.

Comment

Great to hear. Anyone in Marks area than needs work should at the very least give him a call. We need to help out fellow studebaker repair guy's.

Comment

Working...
                              X