1951 Studebaker Commander Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Studebaker Commander Convertible

I always said if I got the chance to own a convertible bullet nose I would jump on it so fast it wouldn't even be funny. That day happened and I couldn't believe it. The car is very rough but save able and I even got the guy to come down in the price. The main reason why I bought it was because he had a new frame for the convertible top and a new front clip that he through into the deal. I got the car home over joyed that I got my hand on a 1951 Commander convertible until the next day. I started to realize that it is missing a lot of parts and some of the parts are to fare gone to save. I still plane on getting her back on the road but I was wondering if any one has parts for this car that you are welling to sale. The major parts that I need are the rear fenders seats and the electric motor for the convertible top. I live in CA so if any one lives in CA has the seats or fenders please let me know and I can pick them up so I wont have to pay for shipping. My friends think I'm crazy for buying this car but I really want to prove them wrong and get it back on the road.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0585.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1751123Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0587.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1751124Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0588.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1751125Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0589.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1751126

Your choice of a 1951 Commander s a very good one.
    It has the V8 and the more modern chassis.
    If you restore it to original and not be persuaded to go to 12volt and a later engine your car will be valuable when finished.
    I stock a lot of parts for these cars but I do not have seats nor fenders,
    The 1947-49 rear fenders are easier to find and possibly the rear part of your old fenders can be crafted on these if you can really not find the correct new ones.
    The top lift motor is rebuildable but the lift assemblies are hard to find.
    Maybe on of the Forum members has a parts car.
    I have a complete heater kit assembly for a 1951 Commander on eBay right now.
    Many Studebakers were sold without heater or defrosters since these were options.
    I have seen some really bad convertibles restored.
    Your best bet is to buy the two parts books and shop manual and learn how to find part numbers for the parts you need since most parts vendors stock their parts by part numbers.

Comment

I do plain to kept it all original or as original as I possibly can get it. I like when the car looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Anyways I'm not 100% sure if it has the heater option or not but I do know it is a 3 speed with over drive and has the original engine in it. The guy I brought it from told me he bought it from the original owner that bought the car in 51. He started taking it apart with plans to restore it but he had an accident and now he is disabled and that is why he was selling the car. I have the body parts book and I do plan on buying the other parts book as well. I will go through the car tomorrow to see if I need the heater most likely, I will but I will let you know because I might want to bid on it.

Comment

If you could find a 51 Commander 2 dr sedan parts car i'm sure you could get most parts you need, but most people don't have room for a parts car.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
          If you could find a 51 Commander 2 dr sedan parts car i'm sure you could get most parts you need, but most people don't have room for a parts car.
          Yeah I thought about that but at the same time I'm trying to avoid that at the same time. It may come down to that if I fun into a 2 dr sedan at a cheap price but I will cross the bridge if it happens.

Comment

The rear fenders are the same 51-52 for all cars with two doors (two door sedan, starlight coupe, business coupe, convertible). The 50 two door car fenders will also fit, but the tail light mount is slightly different.

Bob Peterson had a 51 two door parts car that he sold recently, but he might still have the spare rear fenders for it. You might give him a call.

The front seat is the same for 51-52 cars with two doors, and the 47-50 front seats will fit, even though the frames and cushion mounts are slightly different than the 51-52.

The rear seats are unique to convertible, but are the same 47-52. The rear seats may be the same as the 52 hard top as well. EDIT, it seems that the hardtop seats will not fit the convertible. That's what I get for guessing.

The convertible top motor assembly is the same from 51-52, but is different from the 47-50. You could probably get the 47-50 top motor assembly to work if you got all of it. If you disconnect the ball screws from the top mechanism, you can operate the top manually until you find the right mechanism.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-08-2016, 02:08 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

French Lake Auto Parts would likely have the rear fenders for you, as well as the heater. 320.274.8497 / 320.286.2560

Comment

50 convertible rear seat is narrower (more narrow)? Than a hard top.

Dean.

Comment

Would the 1951 Convertible seat bottom be narrower than the Starlight seat bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                    Would the 1951 Convertible seat bottom be narrower than the Starlight seat bottom?
                    I've been looking rear seats over pretty closely for a couple of years now because I was missing the rear bottom of my 52 hard top.
                    I'm surely no expert but what i believe is that the convertible rear seat is the smallest of them all due to the space needed for the top to retract.
                    Next up in size is the hard top that needs extra space for the rear windows to roll down. I suspect the hard top may be the same as a car that has the beverage cooler compartments but I'm not 100% sure on that.
                    One thing for sure Land cruisers are 4"wider than a hard top.

They pop out easy enough maybe someone here could give an accurate width needed.

Dean.
                    Last edited by dean pearson; 06-08-2016, 06:36 AM.

Comment

There is nothing particularly narrow about the 52 hardtop back seat. The starlight arm rests are not present, nor is any convertible hardware, so the door panels are quite thin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Rob,
                        A Studebaker buddy in San Francisco says he has some rear fenders.
                        Send me a PM and I will give you his email address.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Go for it, I'm bringing back what was a basket case 58 Transtar Deluxe v8 Auto with TT that was originally a California truck.

I can drive it now, but only around the neighborhood still waiting on paint before I can put the glass back in.

I had to rip it off the frame blast it all and start over.

Comment

Check with Roy Valdez (royvaldez) here on the forum. He has a significant accumulation of bullet nose cars and parts. He lives in Camino near Placerville. I expect he will chime in here if he sees this post.
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                              Check with Roy Valdez (royvaldez) here on the forum. He has a significant accumulation of bullet nose cars and parts. He lives in Camino near Placerville. I expect he will chime in here if he sees this post.
                              Congratulations on acquiring the car and, at least, having an opportunity to fulfill your dream. The iconic Bullet Nose convertibles are some of the most recognized and valued cars of all. Even among collectors who are not necessarily Studebaker fans. Of all the cars Studebaker produced, these cars offer an opportunity to recover, even severe, restoration costs. I believe the most serious collectors value the '50 Commander Convertible over the '51, mainly due to the more radical Bullet design, and the longer front to accommodate the Commander 6 engine.

While it seems that most of us Studebaker fans see the '51 as a more driver friendly, easier to maintain, vehicle, the rarity, and imposing boldness, of the '50 seems to excite those wealthy collectors, who rarely drive them, but keep them in prominent positions parked in private museums.

For now, I am enjoying your enthusiasm, and hope nothing occurs to keep you from seeing this project to a successful conclusion.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X