Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perfect camera wagon - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Hello all,
    As some of you may know I frequently do some automotive writing as well as photographic work. Since few years I had been looking for the perfect car to shoot action pics as well as move to the photo sessions in style.
    I finally managed to locate a sensibly priced and mostly rust free 1964 Daytona Wagonaire. ( For me the 1964 Daytona was the most wanted of the Wagonaires with sliding roof.) My car is a solid, documented 55.000 mile car from Kansas with 289 + Flightomatic + TT and few other handy options like the tailgate step. After some basic maintenance and mechanical work the car passed our pretty strict local registration inspection without any issues, even though it does have some patina on it.

On Friday I did some photo shooting on a custom 1950 Lincoln and after that we drove to the start area of the main cruising event of the month. The Wagonaire did the job as planned and even action pics taken at reasonable speed came out nice.
    I wonder if the tax authorieties will allow me to do the deductions on the car and refer the Wagonaire as a must equipment to do work like this. The car will receive new paint, new tires etc. once my other project is completed. I thought that you might like to see one Wagonaire in action over here onthe other side of the ocean. In the link below are pics that someone took at the event - thus they are not mine. as you may conclude from me standing at the rear deck of the Wagonaire. Also the other pics below were taken by a phone by one of my friends sitting in the 1950 Lincoln.

Wagonaires are great fun! And yes - they do draw a lot of positive attention when parked among the Chevys, Fords and Mopars.

http://ata1.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2016/Hels...6/IMG_0589.JPG

and more from the cruise here

http://ata1.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2016/Hels...June+3.6.2016/

Pekka
    Attached Files
    sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Some really nice cars at that show!...One car I like is the all black '71 Dodge Charger!....thanks for posting these pics, and best of luck with your 'new' Wagonaire!

Comment

Originally posted by PekkaP View Post
      I wonder if the tax authorieties will allow me to do the deductions on the car and refer the Wagonaire as a must equipment to do work like this.
      If you do go that route, if its anything like here, you'll probably have to wear a safety belt firmly anchored to the car by a restraining device, and any other Personal Protective Equipment required by mobile cameramen today.

Sta-bars will not be enough. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...s-camara-wagon

Craig

Comment

Kiva, Pekka!!
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

yes, it has been used like that many times..

and

Comment

Very nice Pekka! Be aware of any law enforcement officials seeing you standing in the back of the wagon while traveling at speed!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I know that I need to get a set of modified HD Sta-Bars, a custom made seatbelt arrangement -- and one of those friction -powered C-coupe TV Camera cars ! The red tin car is just plain cool!

Pekka
              sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I have seen newsreel footage of Lowell Thomas using Wagonaire's with a tripod camera standing up in the back.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Or these; THE Original United Press International 1963 "Camera Cars":
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	UPI Press Camera Cars.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1707054 Here is a '64 Camera Car; 64V13188: Click image for larger version

Name:	JimsPixFerndale0003.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1707052 Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 UPI Wagonaire 001.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1707053
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Holly Cow Rich! Click image for larger version

Name:	6-5-2016 4-09-13 PM.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1707058
                    My Wagonaire is from the same order number for United Press!

Comment

I hope you saved your's though, we did not find out until AFTER we had removed the dash and other good parts that this abbreviated Dash Copy of the P.O. was tucked into the Right End of the Dash to the right of the Vanity Box.

It was a pretty rough, rust bucket Car though, probably now part of a Hyundai or something, but some Easterners would maybe have saved it.

I guess the good News is that the H.D. Rear springs are on a R1 '63 Cruiser and the Rebuilt Full Flow 259 Engine is in a Red Modified '55 Stake Bed 3/4 Ton Stude Truck.

I see that yours went to the same Lot 151, but I believe Space 17D instead of 13D!

Ours was CAR Order 49880 compared to your 49873, but they would have been on the same "Buy Order".

Your's was probably the Dallas Office Car and mine the Seattle Office one.

Both ordered 10/18/63, but the Complete P.O. would show the Final Assembly Date, Serial Number, Engine Number etc, etc. If you still have the Car, it would be a real good thing to have the 'Real" P.O. on a World Famous "Special" Fleet Car like this.

They all had Blue all Vinyl Interiors with matching "Inserts", so Solid Blue Seats, very well equipped Cars.

This "Set" of Astra White '64 Daytonas was much bigger than that Palma Guy's!
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-05-2016, 05:34 PM.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Here's my Wagonaire Camera Car.
                        My cousin's husband was a NBC newsman in Washington, DC when the Wagonaires came out. He tried very hard to convince NBC to buy a fleet to use as camera cars. Management declined saying they didn't have an "arrangement" with Studebaker.
                        Attached Files
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The TV camera doesn't always have to be IN the Wagonaire. Sometimes, the cameras are POINTED AT the Wagonaire, like for this shoot for a commercial for Casual Male XL. They wanted my Wagonaire for a "tailgate party" scene.

The scary "riding in the back of a Wagonaire with the roof open" was at the Dover SDC meet when Rob Reese had his Wagonaire at pretty good speed around the NASCAR track with a couple of guys shooting pictures from the back section. Someone must have photos of that. While the tailgate window isn't that strong, I think I'd want it up just as a little more help to stay in the car if something unexpected happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wagonaire_tvshoot3.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1707070Click image for larger version

Name:	wagonaire_tvshoot4.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1707071Click image for larger version

Name:	wagonaire_tvshoot5.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1707072
                          Gary Ash
                          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                          '48 M5
                          '65 Wagonaire Commander
                          '63 Wagonaire Standard
                          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I don't think those are "Casual Male XL" Jeans on that Girl with the Brown Top! Lol!
                            StudeRich

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;994258]I hope you saved your's though, we did not find out until AFTER we had removed the dash and other good parts that this abbreviated Dash Copy of the P.O. was tucked into the Right End of the Dash to the right of the Vanity Box.

I did save it and I thought I had ordered the PO from the museum but I can't seem to find it right now. Just thought it was interesting to see another one of the same order pop up!
                              Thanks!
                              Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X