2016 Studebaker National Drags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Studebaker National Drags

Here is my report on this years drags. We would like to thank everyone that has supported this event for the last 9 years. It's always great to meet new people and visit with all the racers and spectators that show up every year, what a great group they are.
    Richard and Rose

2016 STUDEBAKER NATIONAL DRAGS
    By Richard Poe
    The Studebaker Drags for 2016 are now over and we had a big turnout again this year at The Brown County Dragway. Attendees at this year’s race came from as far west as California, and New York and New Jersey in the east!
    If you missed it thinking it would rain, you were wrong, it was just a little warm, but not a drop fell from the skies.
    I guess I should start on Thursday and at the first activity of this year’s event; a trip to John Force Racings fantastic racing shop in Brownsburg, Indiana. The Force race team is one of the biggest teams in the NHRA with four race teams, three Funny Cars and one Top fuel Dragster. When our tour guide Steve found out we’re a Studebaker group, he insisted that he take us through the shop since he’s a Studebaker owner himself! We got the deluxe treatment, all 22 of us! Giving tours isn’t Steve’s job, but the Studebaker camaraderie compelled him to do this one for us. All the teams were there getting the cars ready for the next event race. I think they had seven semi trucks, all parked inside! Steve answered all of our questions, and we answered his. The man himself, John Force, came out and greeted us for pictures and spent some time with our group. We all had a great time thanks to the John Force team. I think another trip back to his shop maybe in the future.
    It’s always fun to see the Studebakers show up around Nashville during the week of the race. Friday we all met at the Seasons Lodge for dinner. Forty-two were in attendance at the dinner, and after that we headed to our home for desserts and Studebaker talk.
    Saturday is race day, well it’s not really a race in the sense that we have competition where we declare a winner, but a chance to make a few passes with your car. This is an opportunity to add more interesting memories of your Studebaker ownership or maybe just make a pass against friends or even a legend like Ted Harbit.
    We always have a great group and make new friends every year, sharing our stories at the track on a nice day in May.
    See you next year!
    Richard and Rose Poe
    Last edited by 63larkr1; 06-04-2016, 04:52 PM.
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

WOW I guess I should have checked it before I posted it.
    Richard
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

'Way to go again, Richard. A fine event. We even found our way back home with 135 closed! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Richard, you and Rose need to be commended for your efforts each year! Every year this is becoming a bigger event for the SDC racing enthusiasts, WE appreciate your efforts, as well as all other participants.

See you at the track soon...............
        It is an addiction!

Comment

Thank you Joe. I think you and Nancy have been to almost all the drags we have had. We have the regulars but every year there will be new people here. We always have a few that have never been on a drag strip ever in their lives! Here is one of our first videos, in 2008, you will recognize the black 1963 R2 Daytona. I always liked the run you made with Frank Van Dorn and his 1941 R2 powered Champion.
          Thanks,
          Richard
          https://youtu.be/PleTGQ-n-sg

Comment

We had a great time with our '64 Daytona hardtop. I put a video of Robin's first run on Youtube. Following it are some of the pictures we took at the event. See if the link below works. Thanks to Richard and Rose for another great event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7uvn8Wy5k
            Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona Hardtop
            1962 Champ Truck
            1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Was the name changed? I thought this was for all orphan cars. ??
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

We (my wife and I) originally called it the Studebaker Nationals, but before the first race nine years ago some of the Hudson guys wanted to race with us and the word orphan was added. We have had at least one Hudson race with us every year, and this year only two non Studebakers were at the race.
                Thanks,
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                X