Disconnecting AC on an Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnecting AC on an Avanti?

Howdy All, I am touring in my 1963 Avanti R1 with my car club for 600+ miles in the next week to northern Michigan where I don't expect to have to use the factory AC (original York Compressor). AC still works great (blows cold), makes no noises, was recharged two years ago (still holding pressure) and is in good shape according to my mechanic. When driving the car I usually engage the AC for a while to keep the system internally lubed.

I recently noted a listing for an Avanti that needed it's AC bearings replaced and that got me to thinking...is there any advantage to disconnecting the AC belt to avoid future damage to the compressor clutch bearings? What are the potential downsides to doing this? Are clutches (bearings?) still available for York compressors? What do you think? Thanks in advance for enlightening me, Bob

The only good reason you'd want to do this is if parts for the York weren't available, but I believe that they are......I'd just keep doing what you're doing now and enjoy!

Comment

Also you will mostly use you air , your not going to the North poll !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The clutch bearing can be replaced and should be readily available from a bearing shop or distributor. As 2R5 can attest, the compressor seal may not be as available and depends on the York series. In any event, you should run the compressor frequently to keep the seal interface lubricated to avoid damage and gas loss. From my experience with driving Avantis, you will be using the A/C constantly on your trip to Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          Also you will mostly use you air , your not going to the North poll !
          Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I do run the AC whenever the car is driven and I won't worry about disconnecting it as I now know that the parts are available. And you're right 2R5, I may need the air even in Northern Michigan!

Comment

Working...
          X