63 Hawk door emblem placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Hawk door emblem placement

On the 63 Hawks, does the emblem on the door go in front or rear of the Gran Turismo nameplate? Same on both sides?

At the rear of the Gran Turismo on both sides.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1705912

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Okay, to be complete, the order of the three colors on the emblem is specific to 1963. From left to right as you face the emblem, on the drivers side, it is red-white-blue, on the passenger side it is blue-white-red. This is for domestic left-hand control cars.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Left to right red, white and blue on either side.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160603_144308.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1705938

Right side obviously

Comment

This issue has come up several times before. It is a bit strange, but technically to make both sides THE SAME, as if you could see them both from above, they would both Match, Red Forward.

I know it seams Odd since it appears it is to be an "American" Theme Emblem that SHOULD be; Red/White/Blue which is, I believe the reason the Red, White and Blue background Decklid Emblem on '63-'64 Australian Cars was changed to Solid WHITE!

They went to the extreme I think on the '55 President Speedster making TWO checkered Flag little "C" Pillar Emblems, flipped/reversed of each other for the same reason as the '63-'64 Hawks, so they match as seen from above which of course you cannot do if you wanted to!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The order of the colors on the right door is different between 1963 and 1964 Hawks (the left side is the same for both years).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                This issue has come up several times before. It is a bit strange, but technically to make both sides THE SAME, as if you could see them both from above, they would both Match, Red Forward.

I know it seams Odd since it appears it is to be an "American" Theme Emblem that SHOULD be; Red/White/Blue which is, I believe the reason the Red, White and Blue background Decklid Emblem on '63-'64 Australian Cars was changed to Solid WHITE!

They went to the extreme I think on the '55 President Speedster making TWO checkered Flag little "C" Pillar Emblems, flipped/reversed of each other for the same reason as the '63-'64 Hawks, so they match as seen from above which of course you cannot do if you wanted to!
                Australian assembled GT Hawks used the same red/white/blue plastic trunk emblem insert. But the door tri-color emblems were positioned differently to the North American built GT Hawks. This could add to the confusion....

Chris.

Comment

OK Chris, What Country did use the White Hawk Decklid Emblems then?
                  By 1963 & '64 there could not have been too many Countries assembling these things.

We sold the White Emblem we had, because we would never use that on a South Bend USA Car.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1705953
                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    OK Chris, What Country did use the White Hawk Decklid Emblems then?
                    By 1963 & '64 there could not have been too many Countries assembling these things.

We sold the White Emblem we had, because we would never use that on a South Bend USA Car.
                    Image of my trunk emblem which I have kept. My knowledge over the years is that this emblem was fitted or supplied to European CKD GT Hawks or perhaps 6 cyl versions. Hope this helps. As Chris stated, definitley not on Australian assembled GT Hawks of the '63 / '64 model.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                    X