'56 Golden Hawk Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Golden Hawk Exhaust

Hi, a bit of advise on exhaust for the anovel.

I livery in the UK, and am familiar with Don Simmons in Canada, though he won't ship to the UK.

My thoughts are to have a system fabricated and met with a potential shop, who are more than capable.

So, a couple of questions...

2" or 2 1/4" - what's best?

I have the usually seen dress up chrome tail kit from Studebaker International, but would like to know how far off the back bumper the extension should protrude?

Thanks for any help and answers
    Richard
    sigpic

Hi Richard,
    I have always just run OEM size on 56Js. I believe the front is 2" from manifold to muffler, and the rear is 1 3/4" from muffler to bumper. It is easier to get and maintain clearance with those sizes, and there are some pretty tight spots anyway. A 2" is doable on the rear, but I'd be worried about clearance for 2 1/4", front or rear.

For exhaust extensions/bling, I have always used, "period correct" ones, picked up here and there, NOS. Kanter has some real nice ones, for less than $50 each. Might wanna poke around in their on line catalog.

Whatever you do, do not install the 1957 and later Hawk extensions. IMHO they look out of place, also, purists all over the globe will point out they are, "incorrect"

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      Hi Richard,
      I have always just run OEM size on 56Js. I believe the front is 2" from manifold to muffler, and the rear is 1 3/4" from muffler to bumper. It is easier to get and maintain clearance with those sizes, and there are some pretty tight spots anyway. A 2" is doable on the rear, but I'd be worried about clearance for 2 1/4", front or rear.

For exhaust extensions/bling, I have always used, "period correct" ones, picked up here and there, NOS. Kanter has some real nice ones, for less than $50 each. Might wanna poke around in their on line catalog.

Whatever you do, do not install the 1957 and later Hawk extensions. IMHO they look out of place, also, purists all over the globe will point out they are, "incorrect"

Joe, about the '57 & later Hawk exhaust extensions.....IMHO, they're the nicest looking of all the '50's Studebaker accessory exhaust extensions! (Ask The Man That Owns Two )

Don't pay so much attention to what purists think!!!

Comment

Hi Joe,

I always value your comments.

Using my smartphone, I can't see how I can add a photo with my reply.

I noticed yesterday that the tailpipe extensions are unexual lengths; this in part I suspect because at the time of assembling the car Jaguar exhaust pieces were used to get the car out of a hole for a UK road rest inspection.

Now 3.5 years later, the exhaust is starting to blow just below the 'S' piece and exhaust fumes are beginning to ingress into the car's cabin when on a reasonable run.

So, I figured it was time to look at the exhaust system and get it sorted.

I'll pass on your comments Joe to the fabrication shop to help them understand and price the job correctly.

They only work withas stainless steel... and I've read previous comments about stainless bring a bit noisier than regular steel.

Thanks again Joe for your input... and that'll about complete the car being rebuilt with majority of NOS, remanufactured parts... a new 56J in the 21st Century!
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Joe, about the '57 & later Hawk exhaust extensions.....IMHO, they're the nicest looking of all the '50's Studebaker accessory exhaust extensions! (Ask The Man That Owns Two )

Don't pay so much attention to what purists think!!!
          Ed,
          I agree, but there is a bend on the 56J's left tail pipe, about 3" from the end, that will not allow those to fit properly. Moved as far onto the pipe as possible, they still stick out about 4-6" too far. Then, the other side must be matched. The result is, those extensions stick out too far from the rear bumper. Since the OP is fabricating new exhaust anyway, he could likely have the shop bend that side so as to accommodate, though.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Ed,
            I agree, but there is a bend on the 56J's left tail pipe, about 3" from the end, that will not allow those to fit properly. Moved as far onto the pipe as possible, they still stick out about 4-6" too far. Then, the other side must be matched. The result is, those extensions stick out too far from the rear bumper. Since the OP is fabricating new exhaust anyway, he could likely have the shop bend that side so as to accommodate, though.
            Thank you Joe,..I didn't know about that bend (even SN-60 can learn something new!) and I agree that those extensions sticking out too far would look bad.

Comment

Here's what my 56J looked like with the correct AC-2754 extensions. I had to cut about 2" off the end of the stock 1-¾" diameter tailpipes so they wouldn't stick out too far. I had the AC-2840 extensions when I bought the car in 1995, but didn't like the looks of them so I got the period correct ones in the day before S-I had them and they were hard to find.

My 1962 GT Hawk on the other hand, has all 2-¼" diameter pipes and the tailpipes are a tight fit around the shocks, gas tank and leaf springs. I don't have the 56J anymore, so I don't know if the AC-2754 exhaust Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1439.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1705936Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1705937extensions will fit 2-¼" pipes.

Bill L.
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                Here's what my 56J looked like with the correct AC-2754 extensions. I had to cut about 2" off the end of the stock 1-¾" diameter tailpipes so they wouldn't stick out too far. I had the AC-2840 extensions when I bought the car in 1995, but didn't like the looks of them so I got the period correct ones in the day before S-I had them and they were hard to find.

My 1962 GT Hawk on the other hand, has all 2-¼" diameter pipes and the tailpipes are a tight fit around the shocks, gas tank and leaf springs. I don't have the 56J anymore, so I don't know if the AC-2754 exhaust [ATTACH=CONFIG]54964[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54965[/ATTACH]extensions will fit 2-¼" pipes.

Bill L.
                Bill, Your 56J sure is a beaut, no matter who owns it now. But in that pic, it has the, "wrong" gas tank

Comment

I wonder why S-P bothered to make that 'pain in the neck' cast iron exhaust manifold extension for the left side exhaust manifold of 56J's...when they could have simply extended the exhaust pipe itself????

Also, 56J's are the only C/K's with a one piece exhaust pipe..... a better idea actually than the two-piece setup!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    I wonder why S-P bothered to make that 'pain in the neck' cast iron exhaust manifold extension for the left side exhaust manifold of 56J's...when they could have simply extended the exhaust pipe itself????

Also, 56J's are the only C/K's with a one piece exhaust pipe..... a better idea actually than the two-piece setup!
                    I agree, that piece is a PITA, leaks often, and are easily damaged. I had an idiot at a muffler shop break one on a 56J.

As for availability, recently a 56J member had about 100 of them reproduced for us, so there's a few floating around nowadays. Interested parties ponied up, up front, and they wound up costing us about $150 each. I sure appreciate his efforts on that, and I am sure many others do too. I have also squirreled away about half dozen of them, over the years. I once bought an NOS one for $3, but that was many years ago. I have gave a couple away, but still enough left to last me another 100 years. I saw an NOS one sell on fleabay, by one of our NG members here, a few weeks ago for around $200.

Its just one of the finicky things about 56Js that make them the unique part of Studebaker history that they are.

Comment

The folks that have stepped to the plate over the years (Ed Reynolds, Dave Thibeault, Classic Enterprises, etc) and reproduced much wanted NLA parts for us deserve a multitude of credit!!......In some cases, it's easier to restore a Studebaker today than it was 30 years ago!

Can you imagine the tooling investment on some of these items?

Comment

So after reading Joe's comments on the exhaust tail piece... looks like I've got AC-2840 and the ones Joe warns against having.

I could go back to Stude Int'l for AC-2754,which I think are the exhaust tips that would be correct... I'll give it some thought.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                          So after reading Joe's comments on the exhaust tail piece... looks like I've got AC-2840 and the ones Joe warns against having.

I could go back to Stude Int'l for AC-2754,which I think are the exhaust tips that would be correct... I'll give it some thought.
                          Since you are having a set of pipes custom made there, you could have them made so as to accommodate whatever tip you want

Comment

Originally posted by packard352 View Post
                            ....I have the usually seen dress up chrome tail kit from Studebaker International, but would like to know how far off the back bumper the extension should protrude? Thanks for any help and answers
                            When in doubt go back to the original source (Studebaker-Packard) as see how they intended it to fit:

Comment

Thanks for that. I've been able to print it off and it should help the Shop when they roll their sleeves up!
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X