'62 GT: 4-speed, full dash, no radio!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    I remember plainly a new, black 1972 Cadillac Calais Sedan at Dart Chevrolet-Cadillac in Greenville, PA, that had no radio and a black block-off plate where the radio would be. The car had zero options--zero. It had no A/C, but it did have power windows as they were standard equipment by that time. Full wheelcovers, of course, but blackwalls. I never once saw that car around town after that. The price at the bottom of the sticker was $6,480, I remember that plainly too.
    The last year any Cadillac could be had with crank windows was 1967...........the one I remember seeing was also the Calais.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
      The last year any Cadillac could be had with crank windows was 1967...........the one I remember seeing was also the Calais.
      I believe power windows were an option on the Cimarron.

Craig

Comment

When my '63 GT Hawk was delivered from the factory in July '63, it had the blank-off plate. The dealer installed the radio. I still have the blank-off plate but not the car.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I believe power windows were an option on the Cimarron.

Craig

Not sure that really qualifies as a Cadillac. Marketing genius though.
          http://datinmanspeaks.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Da Tinman View Post
            Not sure that really qualifies as a Cadillac. Marketing genius though.
            I'll keep '57 & '58 Packards out of 'what really qualifies....'!!

Craig

Comment

Many new vehicles, whether special ordered or for stock, arrived at dealerships without radios. Radios were installed by the dealers, or outside sources, often they were aftermarket (cheaper) units. I ordered a 1965 Impala with AM, PB radio, it arrived with the block off in place and the radio was installed by the dealer. Dealers constantly watch the bottom line, and they would not have to pay for added equipment until the unit was sold.
              Tom T

Comment

My Dad never bought a new Studebaker with a radio.
                Only new car he bought with a radio was his last car..a 1967 Chevrolet Malibu wagon.
                Remember a fellow in town who purchased a new 1965 Pontiac Catalina convertible with three speed on column and no radio.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Joe Bacon's '56 Golden Hawk also had the (rather unique for a GH) dashboard 'radio delete' plate.....Not sure if he's subsequently installed a radio in that Hawk or not?

Comment

You would think radio sales would have been brisk during the Cold War. The Conelrad system was set up to provide info in case of an attack. The radios used to have the symbols on the dial to show where to tune. Maybe people didn't want to know...

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                      You would think radio sales would have been brisk during the Cold War. The Conelrad system was set up to provide info in case of an attack. The radios used to have the symbols on the dial to show where to tune. Maybe people didn't want to know...
                      IIRC, Studebaker was about two years ahead of GM in putting the two Conelrad symbols on the radio dial. Again IIRC, Studebaker began using the symbols in the 1954 model year. (I will leave it to someone else to check my memory on these two items.)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Chevy, and i presume the rest of General Motors, did not use the Conelrad arrows until 1956.

Tom T

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          IIRC, Studebaker was about two years ahead of GM in putting the two Conelrad symbols on the radio dial. Again IIRC, Studebaker began using the symbols in the 1954 model year. (I will leave it to someone else to check my memory on these two items.)
                          I remember those symbols being on my Dad's '55 Commander radio dial.
                          I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
                          1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            Yup. 54 was the year for Studebaker.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X