Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Point NC auction tommorrow Avanti Body!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Point NC auction tommorrow Avanti Body!

Several pieces at this auction garnered my attention including the Peugeot wagon and the Simca wagon. Tried to determine a value on the Peugeot but wasnt able to find a comparible one or in fact able to find another one. I MIGHT have some background on the Avanti but havent confirmed it is the same car yet. I also dont know that I would recognize a stripped down Avanti frame if it is there BUT IT IS LIKELY THERE AND WORTH CHECKING OUT IF THIS IS THE CAR I THINK! Either way it is likely more project than I can tackle anymore. Steve http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...zip=29617&kwd=
    sigpic

The Peugeot and the Avanti are interesting (to me), but not enough to go to NC.
    That "Cooperator" sign would be neat for Bob P.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      IF I go to this auction I would be happy to pick up the sign if someone wants to put a value on it. Signs here usually bring more money than I will pay but then again I enjoy old signs but fail to se the monetary value in them others do. Steve

I am more than 99% sure I know this Avanti. It was storaged 25-30 years ago. At that time it was complete, running and a nice car. The frame was good overall with just a few blisters in the troughs. the car was originally R2 and maybe 4 speed (not 100% on the 4 speed) but had an R1 powershift in it at that time. the guy Dad sold it to was a Stude guy with several hundred parts cars and he had a blower for it which may or may not have ever been installed on the R1. I heard after the last time I saw it that it had been pulled off the frame for the frame to be restored and a correct R2 installed. The interior was 90+% new at that time and still looks OK in the one pic through the windows. The dash pad looked good in person but even then did not photogragh well, looked "wavy" in pics. It wasnt driven much after the last time I drove/rode it because thats still Dads tag on it unless by some miracle someone stuck that tag on another turquoise Avanti with a turquiose and fawn interior. The R1 in it when Dad owned it was strong. No idea how much if any of the missing stuff is still there and or usable but its worth the gamble for someone with the knowledge and close to go look. Steve
      Last edited by wolfie; 06-03-2016, 06:15 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Well the Avanti was the deal of the day but was more labor intensive than I wanted to deal with. It was a 400 mile round trip which I would have had to rent a truck and trailer for and probably make 2 trips. At least one trip would have required enough extra people to lift the body onto the trailer. The car only brought $900 including the restored frame (nicely finished but if they attach to the frame as I thought did not have the hog troughs), complete R1 on the stand that still turned by hand, powershift transmission, the rearend, etc.... It was all there but maybe nuts and bolts. many parts were cleaned and sealed but there were still plenty to be done. It was nice work and they seemed to be doing everything right so new hog troughs might have been there somewhere. A lot of stuff had deteriated since the car was dismantled and covered outside in about 2000 or 2001. They had grouped everything they knew was for the Avanti and stated anything you can identify as parts for it would go with it. Besides the stuff in the garage the car was stuffed with parts and I was able to find a few pieces in other piles and boxes that I added. A part of me wanted it and I thought hard about it but I do think it went to a better place than I could have given it. The buyer was well known amongst the car people there and assured me it will not be parted out which is most likely what I would have done with it from where it is. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

I threw a few bids on the CoOperator sign but not nearly enough. I guess thats the CASO in me. I quit bidding at $50 and it brought over $225. They also sold a Coke bottle for $950.00! Yep, $950.00 for a Coke bottle! Maybe my parents shouldn't have given me that BB gun. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

That Avanti is a good deal at the selling price.....a lot of potential there on a 'right color' Studebaker Avanti!....A one would need is the time, and a place to work on it. (and a few $$$!)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
              Well the Avanti was the deal of the day but was more labor intensive than I wanted to deal with. It was a 400 mile round trip which I would have had to rent a truck and trailer for and probably make 2 trips. At least one trip would have required enough extra people to lift the body onto the trailer. The car only brought $900 including the restored frame (nicely finished but if they attach to the frame as I thought did not have the hog troughs), complete R1 on the stand that still turned by hand, powershift transmission, the rearend, etc.... It was all there but maybe nuts and bolts. many parts were cleaned and sealed but there were still plenty to be done. It was nice work and they seemed to be doing everything right so new hog troughs might have been there somewhere. A lot of stuff had deteriated since the car was dismantled and covered outside in about 2000 or 2001. They had grouped everything they knew was for the Avanti and stated anything you can identify as parts for it would go with it. Besides the stuff in the garage the car was stuffed with parts and I was able to find a few pieces in other piles and boxes that I added. A part of me wanted it and I thought hard about it but I do think it went to a better place than I could have given it. The buyer was well known amongst the car people there and assured me it will not be parted out which is most likely what I would have done with it from where it is. Steve
              The auction was very close (20 miles or less) to me, but now I'm really glad I didn't go. I sure would have bid on it if it went that low. If the frame is any good, it should be worth the purchase price. But I sure don't need another car that is in pieces.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                I sure don't need another car that is in pieces.

The only reason I didn't buy it. If it had been together enough to even roll onto a trailer as one unit I would have taken it. The frame was nice. It had been cleaned, sealed and painted. there was a group of pics showing the restoration. It may have been correct even but I thought the torque boxes were welded to the frame to make it wider. If that's true there were no torque boxes installed on the frame. I think it would have parted out at near 10x what it brought but it was beyond my abilities to resurrect it from the condition it was in at any rate. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Bama Jak and I looked at the Avanti a year or so ago . Talked with owner and priced it a little higher but we were making no offers since she was not in selling mood at time. She was not happy with what we thought it was worth and some other Studebakers on land. At 900.00 a good deal just a lot was missing when we looked. Wolfie do you know who bought it. I might have what he needs to finish and am near by to Auction. Would have gone if had know but rarely do auctions work out for me. If he gave 9 at the least I would have had to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by prez55 View Post
                    Bama Jak and I looked at the Avanti a year or so ago . Talked with owner and priced it a little higher but we were making no offers since she was not in selling mood at time. She was not happy with what we thought it was worth and some other Studebakers on land. At 900.00 a good deal just a lot was missing when we looked. Wolfie do you know who bought it. I might have what he needs to finish and am near by to Auction. Would have gone if had know but rarely do auctions work out for me. If he gave 9 at the least I would have had to pay more.
                    I left him my contact info but haven't heard from him yet. It looked like all the major stuff was there but some smaller stuff was scattered around. I am sure there would have been some small items missing once one started putting it back together. Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X