June TW!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June TW!!

Very nice picture of a Golden Hawk on the front cover and a clutch of good looking white Daytona`s on the inside one belonging to Bob

Have often wondered why they stuck the front marker light on top of the hawks fender.
    Seems like an after thought to me
    Geoff

Is it a Golden Hawk? The side grills are GH but the hood is
    a Silver Hawk.

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
      a Silver Hawk.
      I have no knowledge of Hawks Golden or otherwise but since owning a Studebaker it`s made me more interested in the other marks from my 50/51 Starlight.
      The 59/60 hawk especially just a pity that the features I like are not on one they produced !!
      Namely a piller-less hard top with the rear fins that didn`t have the fender mounted marker-lights !
      Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
        a Silver Hawk.
        Good observation. I just received my TW, so I took a look. I agree that it does not have a 1957 Golden Hawk hood. The first thing that I noticed is that it does not have the front bumperettes/guards that would be standard equipment on a 1957 Golden Hawk. I wonder if the car has a supercharger and if it does, how did they get it to fit. There were 1957 Silver Hawk hardtops, but I believe that they were all for outside the USA and of course, they would not have the halo trim.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's been said that if you use the lower-profile Avanti R3 front motor mounts on a '57/'58 Golden Hawk, you can get the engine low enough in the chassis to clear the underside of a standard hood. I have no personal knowledge of that, or experience, however. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I really enjoyed the story about the 64 Daytona collection. Nice job Bob!
            David Daoust
            Stratham, NH
            '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

I also enjoyed the Daytona article. Interesting how a chance observation driving can change the future. Bob, I noted that you made a "bonsai" run to Texas. What were you doing with a miniature tree on the trip?

Bonsai is a Japanese art form using trees grown in containers.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                I also enjoyed the Daytona article. Interesting how a chance observation driving can change the future. Bob, I noted that you made a "bonsai" run to Texas. What were you doing with a miniature tree on the trip?

Bonsai is a Japanese art form using trees grown in containers.
                That's a good point, Don.

I have no idea where I first heard the word bonsai used to describe something dramatic, fast, or happening quickly, but I've used it often and heard it used by others through the years in the same context.

Ironically, I looked it up just now in several dictionaries and the only definition(s) given are indeed those having to do with small Japanese trees!

(If Merriam-Webster was a real person, I'd drop him a line.) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Look up "banzai", I think that is where it comes from.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                    Look up "banzai", I think that is where it comes from.
                    Again correct, Don; thanks.

Pekka Polvinen, mentioned in the 1964 Daytona acquisition article, sent me this link after noting our exchange:

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...sage-of-banzai

Mystery solved; I just used the wrong word; a word with a pronunciation similar to the one I meant.

You learn something new every day. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Again correct, Don; thanks.

Pekka Polvinen, mentioned in the 1964 Daytona acquisition article, sent me this link after noting our exchange:

http://english.stackexchange.com/que...sage-of-banzai

Mystery solved; I just used the wrong word; a word with a pronunciation similar to the one I meant.

You learn something new every day. BP
                      AND...this exchange is proof...You can learn from "other" peoples mistakes!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The covers are cool, but I like the two old guys on page 11 !
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

Re the '57 Golden Hawk on the front cover of the June 2016 Turning Wheels: I once installed a Golden Hawk supercharger setup on a '60 Hawk. As I recall, with no change of engine insulators, the blower barely (or almost) touched the hood when it was fully down. It looked to me like, with normal engine movement, it likely would make a small convex dent on the hood over time. I never heard back from the customer, though. With the thin insulators it should work with no problem. Doesn't the car look so much better without that fiberglass monstrosity on the hood though? (Of course, it could be returned to originality easily.)
                          -Dwight FitzSimons (had a '57 GH back in the day)

Comment

I gotta wait until I get home from the Upper Mississippi Valley Zone Meet before I can read my TW.. However, my Avanti magazine arrived as I was packing my suitcase so I had something to read!

Comment

Bob, that is a beautiful shot of your '64 model line up. I was also pleasantly surprised to see my '76 in Chris Haven's article about the Early Ford V8 show at the Avanti Dome in Pekin IL the Saturday before Easter.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X