No announcement yet.

custom studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that front and rear view of the Hawk the same car in different time periods?

Comment

This one!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160508_180619694_HDR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1705764

And I'll add Randy's M series truck makes me drool.

Dean.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Devan View Post
        Is that front and rear view of the Hawk the same car in different time periods?
        Yes, it is. I snapped the pictures from a Turning Wheels edition which covered the car in some detail. One of the pics is the front cover, the other, the rear cover. It has passed hands a couple times, with someone along the way, painting it. I think I like the two tone better, but I wouldn't mind either way on this car. I just love it.
        sals54

Comment

I'll take some pics of it in it's current condition for you,Sal.
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
            Please forgive me, Sal?

I really don't want to be seen as this much of a nit picker, but technically would it be more correctly identified as a J/K and not a C/K?

Mark
            It would still be a K body, but is modified/customized with a J roof/windows.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My guess is they used a j body, Body shell and parts of a k body hawk and combined the two to build this car with some custom add on's. front looks like a packard hawk hood and custom grille and header panel.So would almost have to say header built out of fiberglass and stainless rods for the grille. Remove the vents for the custom look.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                My guess is they used a j body, Body shell and parts of a k body hawk and combined the two to build this car with some custom add on's. front looks like a packard hawk hood and custom grille and header panel.So would almost have to say header built out of fiberglass and stainless rods for the grille. Remove the vents for the custom look.
                The body, except for the roof, has all of the proportions/size of a K body hardtop coupe, not a J body hardtop sedan.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  I would choose a stock '53 Champion "K" hardtop, because, let's face it, there has NEVER been a customization of the original Bourke design that has come off better looking THAN the original design...factory or private!
                  I agree 100%!
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    According to the article, an engineer at Studebaker had the idea to make this custom. It's a K body with some serious mods needed to make the J roof fit.
                    sals54

Comment

Who wouldn't want steve Hudson's 53 convert, such a beautiful car, but my #2 car would be a 52 Hardtop with a bullet Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker-1953-roadster-3c_detail[1].jpg
Views:	6
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1705824Click image for larger version

Name:	2199914143_b25b98e568.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1705825nose front end.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I've always liked that one, too! Good choice, Bob.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
                          I'll take some pics of it in it's current condition for you,Sal.
                          Is this car in your possession??? I would LOVE to see some current pix of this car. In fact, I may have to schedule a trip you your neck of the woods just to get my eyes on it. Sorry to sound a bit obsessed, but this is indeed a Holy Grail car in my mind. Its just that beautiful. Thanks. I look forward to seeing the pix.
                          sals54

Comment

Pat and Steve's customs are my top two favorites.
                            Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                            As happy as I am with mine, if it was offered, Steve Hudson's R2 powered '53 convertible would be hard to pass up.

Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                              Pat and Steve's customs are my top two favorites.
                              I like yours... the family history, and the many very unique, one of a kind touches intrigue me. I think it is one of the most unique Stude customs out there.

Last edited by Studedude; 06-03-2016, 07:31 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Thanks, Dave. We certainly feel blessed to have a car that has been in my wife's family since before she was born and was customized by her father and uncle in 1954-5.
                                Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                                I like yours... the family history, and the many very unique, one of a kind touches intrigue me. I think it is one of the most unique Stude customs out there.

Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X