RIP Alan Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Alan Young

Alan Young owner of Mr. Ed has passed away, he was 96. I believe he was the last of the original cast left.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...l?intcmp=hppop

Commercial with Mr. Ed and Wilbur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKAnMlxNv64
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

RIP Alan Young.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Met him at the Long Beach meet in 1996. Very nice man. No hint of ego. Had him sign this issue of MOTOR HOLIDAYS (below) and he got Connie Hines to sign it later. I am guessing not many others around. He also signed several of the sky top post cards for me. Still have some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mr Ed motor Holidays copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1705554
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

RIP Alan Young

"Actor-comedian Alan Young, who played the amiable straight man to a talking horse in the 1960s sitcom "Mister Ed," has died at age 96"
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Alan was a Great guy, very sorry to hear that on the 6:00 NBC News tonight.

He played the part well on the Famous Mr. Ed Show and many Movies. Too bad they did not mention the Sponsor of the Show.

May he rest in peace, one of the last of the Good Guys in entertainment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Afton.Young.MrEd.62GT3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1705555 My Dad's Boss, Frank H. Afton presenting the Keys to his New GT Hawk to Alan Young at the Hal Roach Studios in Culver City, CA.

Note the Black on Yellow 1956 Plate nearing it's end (XBD) before the 1963 Issue Yellow on Black one came out.

http://wikimapia.org/6431945/Hal-Roa...istorical-site
          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-20-2016, 10:26 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

RIP Alan Young

Alan Young, star of 1960s sitcom 'Mr. Ed,' dies at 96. A genuine nice guy from what I have read.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ies-at-96.html

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...RIP-Alan-Young

Craig

Comment

'Sorry to hear this. Alan was always known to be a gentleman who genuinely cared about the Studebaker connection to Mr. Ed. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I remember watching the show when I was young. It was aired on a re-run channel a few years ago (M tv I think). I enjoyed it even more then.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Still being aired on ME-TV. He has shared so much in his 96 years. I watch "The Time Machine" more for his role than Rod Taylor's.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

There are at least three threads/topics on this now. Perhaps a moderator will combine them to get the comments all in one place.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

All the mr ed episodes are on youtube.

Comment

Great show, Alan had a great run, R.I.P.
                          Loved spotting as many Studebakers as possible...still do!
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I saw Alan Young's obituary in our Long Island newspaper, Newsday, today. He always seemed to be a class act to me. May he rest in peace.
                            Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I found this web site years ago. They have interviews with the TV 'Stars' from my youth.
                              It is a great site, you can spend hours watching the interviews.

Here are the ones recorded by Alan Young.
                              http://emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/alan-young

They did a great service, preserving the history while these folks were still alive.

Also, the Studebaker Museum has an interview with Alan Young, talking about Studebaker & Mr. Ed Show.
                              The DVD is "Studebaker Commercials: 1959 - 1966"

Stude-Preferred

Comment

Working...
                              X