1958 Golden Hawk in Kearney Nebraska Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 Golden Hawk in Kearney Nebraska Museum

Cousin George Krem's factory overdrive 1958 Golden Hawk has just been placed for display on the most prominent of three turntables in the Kearney [pronounced CAR-nee] Classic Car Collection in Kearney, Nebraska. Last year, the museum's attendance was over 10,000:

George reports that it is in a corner where all the museum foot traffic passes, so everyone attending the museum will see it. George's car is the one formerly owned by late SDCer Asa Hall. It is one of only 158 1958 Golden Hawks equipped with stick overdrive. George elected to have it refinished in the original colors, but in the 1957 color scheme, where the accent color is applied to only the fins. Originally, the car also had a gold roof, per the standard 1958 two-tone treatment.

George said he is happy to have this
    photograph because it's the first one with the Speedster wire wheel covers installed. He and friend Richard Telfer spent most of a day adapting those Speedster caps to new 15X6 Ford wheels; the result being a completely stock look and they look great. He painted the Ford wheels black so that any part of them visible through the wires would not be seen. (15" wheels were a regular production option on 1958 Golden Hawks for customers who did not like the new 14" wheels that were standard equipment. Of the 878 1958 Golden Hawks built, 97 of them had the 15" wheel option. Of those 97, 47 of them were stick overdrive cars.)

Earlier, the car had the 1958-style gold roof and 1957-style optional wheel covers when it appeared on the cover of the September 2007 Turning Wheels:

Cool beans, 'cuz. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

George's car is the highlight of the museum in Kearney. If you pass thru Kearney, NE it is a worthwhile stop. Just off I-80 a short distance North.

Denny L

Comment

I am surprized that George would modify the car, but that is his choice. Besides the incorrect two-tone, it also has the incorrect optional wheelcovers, even for 15 inch wheels, and is missing its grille badge and its standard front bumper guards.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I am surprized that George would modify the car, but that is his choice. Besides the incorrect two-tone, it also has the incorrect optional wheelcovers, even for 15 inch wheels, and is missing its grille badge and its standard front bumper guards.
        I am surprised that you would misspell surprised, Gary! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think you use a z in surprised when your really surprized.
          Mike
          Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            I am surprised that you would misspell surprised, Gary! BP
            It's been a busy and hard day like many lately. It also shows that I do not use any form of "spell check" on this Forum. This is something that we have previously discussed. I don't think that my error record is bad for 17,961 posts. Especially since English was one of my weakest subjects. About the number of posts - I thought that I was over 18K posts. Maybe some were deleted or dropped.

Mike really has the answer. To me, the word should have a Z.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I really appreciate George sharing his beautiful Hawk with the public here in central Nebraska. The Classic Car Collection is really first-rate and the Golden Hawk is in very good company. Just in time for tourist season (such as it is around here).
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

I agree with using the 1957 two-tone paint treatment on this (or any other) two-tone 1958 Golden Hawk........It simply looks nicer!

(Friend Asa would be proud!)

Comment

As has been mentioned before, the car that got Bob and me going on Studebakers was our Uncle Jerry Palma's 1957 Silver Hawk 289 with overdrive. He bought it new in '57 and I learned how to drive a manual transmission in that car. I was 15 at the time and had an Illinois learner's permit. In 1958, I hoped that Jerry would trade the car on a '57 Golden Hawk with OD that I spotted on a Studebaker dealer's lot, but the money just wasn't there.

Thanks, Bob, for helping me find this one and for transporting it to my home (at the time) in Iowa.

The Classic Car Collection is located on U. S. Highway 30, the old Lincoln Highway, so any tours involving that highway and/or old cars would pass right by the museum.

George
                  Last edited by R3 challenger; 05-21-2016, 10:12 AM.
                  george krem

Comment

Subtle changes but all Studebaker. I never liked the front bumper guards, they make the nose look heavy and the white roof just make the car look spectacular. Why would anybody back then looked at anything else?? Maybe the $. ?

Comment

I agree also on the Grille Badge delete, I always thought those were Gaudy, klutsey looking, Badges.
                      The '58's would have looked much better with the '57 Crest Badge instead.

But what they were trying to do is find a way to make them look DIFFERENT for cheap, because there simply was NO money in '58 to do the Cars right.

I also never liked the Wicker trim on the Door Panels, that really looked Cheap.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I disagree with you about the '58 grille ornament Rich....I think Studebaker did an outstanding job on that rather complicated piece.

In the past I've owned various year Golden Hawks,....and that '58 grille ornament was a MUST on my cars, regardless of the year!!

Comment

I will be going through Kearney on Friday, but, alas, no time to stop... not even to enjoy the license plate on that car (which I restored for George). I agree that is a great museum & when I was last there, their "gift shop" was on the bed of a Champ pickup!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            I disagree with you about the '58 grille ornament Rich....I think Studebaker did an outstanding job on that rather complicated piece./Cut/
                            I couldn't disagree more, but maybe that's a good thing, after all the world IS still turning!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              I couldn't disagree more, but maybe that's a good thing, after all the world IS still turning!
                              The way that '58 Hawk grille ornament is cut to fit perfectly into the grille...a really 'top shelf' job compared to the rather cheap looking '56-'57 grille badge Rich (IMHO)

Comment

Working...
                              X