Collector Wants to Buy 1952 Commander Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collector Wants to Buy 1952 Commander Convertible

I just got a call from a prominent Indianapolis collector affiliated with The Indianapolis 500 Pace Car Reunion program. He wants to buy a 1952 Commander convertible to redo as a 1952 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car for his collection.

The candidate Commander need not have Indianapolis 500 provenance or be Maui Blue presently, but it will be refinished in Maui Blue with red leather and lettered accordingly to duplicate the 1952 Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. This gentleman has to resources and desire to do it right, so the car will not be disfigured and then cast aside half-done or anything like that.

The candidate should be as good as possible right now; he does not want to undertake any basket cases. It could be located anywhere but, of course, the closer it is to Indianapolis, the better.

PM me with any leads and I will pass them along. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob,
    I used to own a 1952 Commander Maui Blue with the red leather interior that I dragged home. I sold it to buy another home 24 years ago to Lew Dandurand who in turn did a complete body off restoration. It had a 3 speed overdrive; it was sold new in Martinez, CA according to the production order.

Lew after he restored it then after driving it a few times sold the car. Lew can be contacted through the roster but if you need to contact him let me know. The car originally had a white top but Lew did not know that and put on a black top

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Home of Lazarus and Meschach

Comment

Its been done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5896 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1705488
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Frank Goss had an international winning restored one of these (Maui Blue 1952 Commander convertible). I do not remember who he sold it to. I think that it went to NJ. Frank is deceased, so I can not check with him. I would start by checking the SDC Roster for 1952 convertibles.
        Frank also had an international winning 1951 Commander convertible that I checked out for him and picked up with him (before restoration). That car was originally Maui Blue, but since Frank did not want the two cars to both be blue, he had that one restored as a cream color.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

May 2011 pace car reunion

This one was at Indy in 2011. Don't know the owners posed with car.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
            This one was at Indy in 2011. Don't know the owners posed with car.
            Same car as in my post #3. Owner is from Wisconsin. Could look it up if interested.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Same car as in my post #3. Owner is from Wisconsin. Could look it up if interested.
              Yes, Richard; please do and PM me with his name.

Another '52 candidate has surfaced but is not done up as a Pace Car. This one could fill the order if it was for sale, so I'd like to be able to contact the owner. (I, too, met him at The Pace Car Reunion several years ago with Rex, but have forgotten his name.)

Thanks. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Of course the original might be out there somewhere!

Name:	52 pace ca rlabeled.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1705504
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Yes, Richard; please do and PM me with his name.

Another '52 candidate has surfaced but is not done up as a Pace Car. This one could fill the order if it was for sale, so I'd like to be able to contact the owner. (I, too, met him at The Pace Car Reunion several years ago with Rex, but have forgotten his name.)

Thanks. BP
                  Hey Bob, Are you going to be at the track for this years pace car reunion? I'll be there with the 29 touring.

Comment

Hey Bob, Are you going to be at the track for this years pace car reunion? I'll be there with the 29 touring.
                    No, Rex; I won't be. Sorry. I'm spending time with friends from far and wide at the big Mecum Collector-Car auction at The State Fairgrounds. I have a MEDIA pass/lanyard good for the entire week...and they even sent a parking pass, too! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Please take lots of pictures Rex. Hope the weather is nice, Iwould love old Indy cars and old pace cars and this should be the ultimate gathering!

Comment

Heres today.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Heres today.
                          Very nice, Rex; thanks. It was a tad chilly, eh? BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
                            Please take lots of pictures Rex. Hope the weather is nice, Iwould love old Indy cars and old pace cars and this should be the ultimate gathering!
                            I would post some photos but most members here would not appreciate seeing 30 of the same corvette or 30 of the same camaros. I was the only Studebaker there. But some would like this video on you tube.
                            https://youtu.be/JR2GLSpQxhA

Comment

Pretty neat! While the '29 President model FH (125" w.b.) roadster was the pace car at Indy there were three model FE President tourings (135" w.b.) like Rex's that were there also and acted as the "official cars."

Name:	29 pace car john hetman copy.jpg
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1705708 Click image for larger version

Name:	29 pace car indy front email copy.jpg
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1705709
                              Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 05-27-2016, 09:29 PM.
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X