Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with Info on 63r-3623

Hello,

Member for a few years, This is really my first post.
    I just purchased Avanti 63r-3623 of ebay. I am looking for any build info for this car. I spoke to a previous owner that had it in the mid 70's, I did find out the car was originally white with red and is in fact R2 auto p/w car. it has been converted to a R3 4spd clone. It doe not have the original motor or transmission, From what I can tell it has r1456 block with 976 heads and R3 intake, manifolds, carb box and air cleaner.
    I own 63r-1705 which was my fathers since new, It is a R2 4speed car white with orange interior, Neither cars have the original engines. I plan on removing the R3 cloned motor and installing it into my 1705 and swapping the engine from that to 3623. More than likely sell 3623 off.

Anybody have any info or can lead my to info on the build of the engine. I would like to know what is in it with having to tear it totally apart. Supposedly it has r3 valves and cam, but the seller is not really sure,

Thanks,

Eric
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

It sounds like something Nels may have done, if so he would know everything about the Engine.

I hope you find someone who knows, sounds like it could be a Great performer.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

In addition to the build sheets the museum provides, there is a vendor on eBay claiming to have Production Inspection Reports, Build Sheets, and Dealer Invoices. She says send her the Avanti id. no. to see if she has the docs for your car. I am engaged in a conversation with her now on the docs for my recently purchased Avanti. She says she has the Build Sheet for it. She does not sell the original docs, but claims to do a high quality copy with proper paper. Good luck.

Comment

Here's some info
        http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantiX3.html
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I can't help with what is in the engine currently, but the original production order for R-3623 says this:

Body #5109, engine #RS-2100, Final Assembly on 3-5-63, Destination was Pawtucket, RI, Avanti White/Regal (pleated) Red Vinyl, supercharger, Powershift, tinted glass w/sun band, power steering, electric windows, Twin Traction, white sidewalls, electric washers, radio, seat belts. SOLD RUSH typed at bottom of production order.

'Hope this helps.

George
          george krem

Comment

Did this car spend many years (1970s - 1980s) in Connecticut? I may know the car and the owner. IIRC, he switched engines quite a few times. Sometimes it was an R1 and sometimes it was an R2.

The engine/block number (current engine) that you list is for an R1, not for an R2.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It was owned by Alfred Corriea of Taunton MA. You can p/m me for his address if you want.

Comment

Wow! ...Al Corriea...that's really a name out of the distant past!...I believe Al was the second owner of 3623...he sold the car to my friend Sheldon Henderson, who quickly resold it to me.

When I got it, the original R2 engine was long gone, and a Stude replacement (no serial number..non-'R') 289 short block had been installed...the car still had the Powershift trans and was a good runner...I owned it for about two years, and in that time painted it and had the bumpers re-chromed. I also re-installed all of the supercharger equipment, which was in the trunk and back seat when I purchased this Avanti!

But I believe our forum friend 'WCP' is the guy who installed the R1 motor and 4 speed trans which 3623 has in it now, I also think that he is the person that installed manual window doors on this Avanti....and I understand why he did that..the original power window doors were badly broken at the hinges.

I believe it was 'WCP' who also installed all the neat R3 accessories on the engine......SMALL AVANTI WORLD!!!!!!

Comment

I reached out to wcp , he says he did not work on or build the engine or car in the past, he suggested another member ,nels. I will pm him privately to see if he knows of the car.

studegary , I already new the engine was not a R2 block. that much I knew by the r only serial on the block. I spoke with , allen french ,the seller, I believe is his name , he told me that he purchased it believing it was a real R3 engine. My R2 4spd, is gone as well. that motor blew up in 68 as a result of my father toying with the motor and drag racing a lot.

I decided to try and put a factory Studebaker engine back in my fathers car.I had leaned to a LS & 6 speed swap with a procharger. But decided the car should be closer to original. I know ill never get the correct engine back . so The transplant from this other car is what I am after.
                  when the motor blew , My fathers friend gave him a 68 300hp 327 sbc and a glide in trade ,so my mother could drive the car. That is the only way I new it, I drove the car in high school back in 87. I have a 46 year history with this car, its like a big brother to me.

Thank you Sn-60 for calling me and giving me a lot of info on the car when you owned it. I did manage to find the original ebay add on bob johnstones page, and the previous seller, lojko2005 ,on ebay is not a member any more . I just hope its not any worse than the photos show. the seller allen did say he tuned the car and it ran a lot better . he sounded very ill on the phone when I spoke with him, He has another R2 Avanti. that looks identical.

Ok so more digging I found a post from allen when he purchased it a JDP name is mentioned as the builder, I PM him to see if he is and remembers that car.

Eric
                  Last edited by Endl98; 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM.
                  1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.

Comment

OK...'WCP' came to mind when we spoke last night......but 'JDP' is the builders actual Stude Forum 'handle'!!!...Well, I had the 'P' right!!! ...Good luck with my old girl 'Endl98'!

Comment

Well I received the car today and it purrs like a tamed tiger. Body is as I expected. . Car is very nice . It will need some interior attention. But it drives very smooth.
                      Last edited by Endl98; 06-04-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
                        Well I received the car today and it purrs like a tamed tiger. Body is as I expected. . Car is very nice . It will need some interior attention. But it drives very smooth.
                        HEY, THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!...I'm happy my old friend has found a home!

Comment

I'm trying to learn about this motor and charger. I know I'll have to rebuild the carb. I'm hoping to see a bit more in performance from it. Power wise. It's really lazy. I'll take a look at timing . My friends super hawk has more power than this car . So I hope it's just some fine tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Endl98 View Post
                            /Cut/It's really lazy. I'll take a look at timing . My friends super hawk has more power than this car . So I hope it's just some fine tuning.
                            Since it is an R2 Automatic, you may want to check the Axle Ratio, a 3.31 or 3.07 with a Supercharger does not smoke many tires!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

id guess someone changed out the diff than to. or at least the tag. it does say 3.73 on it, well one of my techs said it to me. he said these things have 3.73 in them.
                              I cleaned the plugs , put in some not so stale fuel. it did smoke the tire pretty easy, but they are so skinny. I think I will be ok with it. I am wanting to go more original with the car. I was planning on a ls3 with a procharger and a 6 speed swp. but a LS is 4 inches wider than a SBC and there is no room by the steering box. plus I didn't really want to cut up the trans tunnel.Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti pic.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1707111

Comment

Working...
                              X