My Dad's Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad's Avanti

Pretty excited, my Dad is giving me his 1963 Avanti that he bought new in April of 1964. It's Avanti red with the 813BKV (?) all black interior, R2/4 speed with 60,000 original miles. Now don't get me wrong, it needs a lot of work. It has been sitting since the SeaTac 82' SDC meet. I need to sell a couple cars to make room before it comes home. As soon as it's home I'll post some pictures.

Congratulations. The first time I met you I knew you would become an Avanti owner. I just did not think it would take this long. Oh , the first meeting was Estes Park National meet in 1987.
    Best wishes.

Bob Caser
    mrbobinc

Comment

Thanks Bob, you know I'll be on the hunt for an AM/FM. I've owned a couple Avanti's but my Dad's is pretty special. I've had too many Mopars over the years to concentrate on his car.

Comment

That is great that it has been in your family since new. I know you are going to have fun getting it back on the road. I think you will find out that people will be more interested in the Avanti than the Mopar cars.
        Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
        '14 Boxster
        '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
        '37 Dictator Coupe
        '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

My father toyed with a new Avanti when they were new and went to look at one in the London showrooms. Switches in the roof made a big impression with him as it was the first thing he spoke about when discussing his Studebakers 15 + years or more later. He never did buy the Avanti, instead opting for a Pontiac LeMans off the Motor Show stand. It turned out to be a Friday "lemon," always in the garage with problems. In spite of the car's good looks, he got ride of it for 4-door Plymouth Fury; younger brother was on the way by then!

However, of all the cars owned by him (Rolls-Royce, Oldsmobile, etc.), the only car that was ever asked about and after was his all white '56 Golden Hawk.

Sounds like you've got a nice piece of family "history" coming your way
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

I finally brought the Avanti to my house to clean up and assess what work needs to be done initially. So far, my son and I have cleaned 30+ years of mice activity, mildew and general dirt. In preparation for SeaTac 82 SDC meet, the engine was rebuilt as well as new suspension parts and various other parts to make the car drive well. After that, he stripped the paint with the intention of a respray but life and kids seem to get in the way of best intentions. My Dad has had various other Studebakers and Avanti's so this one was always put on the back burner. I'd like to get it running and driving before paint but we'll see. I'll update this as progress happens.
            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like your dad did a lot of the hard work, nice car. If it looks that good on all sides it shouldn't be difficult to repair and repaint.

Be sure to protect that dash pad like it's gold. It's one of the best I've seen for it's years and expensive/difficult to find to replace.

Keep up the good work, you will have a very unique vehicle when you finish, even for an Avanti.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

What's the serial number?
                64 GT Hawk (K7)
                1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
                  In preparation for SeaTac 82 SDC meet, the engine was rebuilt as well as new suspension parts and various other parts to make the car drive well.
                  Hopefully you'll have it ready in time for the International Meet in 2018, which will also be in or near Seattle.

Craig

Comment

1) Congrats on the Avanti. Great color. Even stripped the shape is wonderful at that angle.
                    2) What brand tires? The whitewall width is just perfect for early 60s.
                    Andy
                    62 GT

Comment

The serial # is 4580. My Dad bought it Feb. 21, 1964 from ABC Motors in Tacoma, WA.

Comment

A red R2 four speed with manual windows & 60K?....In the world of Studebaker Avantis....... YOU'VE STRUCK GOLD!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Commando66 View Post
                          The serial # is 4580. My Dad bought it Feb. 21, 1964 from ABC Motors in Tacoma, WA.
                          My old Avanti was #4500, a gold R-1 which was repainted to red prior to my purchasing it back in 1970...

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            A red R2 four speed with manual windows & 60K?....In the world of Studebaker Avantis....... YOU'VE STRUCK GOLD!!!!!
                            I definitely feel like I've struck gold!

Comment

Although I have 2 Avanti's yours is what I consider the best setup. I'd love to have a red/4 speed with that wood grained & solid color interior. WOW!!!
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X