Looking for a #1552039 eccentric brake pedal to pushrod bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a #1552039 eccentric brake pedal to pushrod bolt

I need a #1552039 eccentric brake pedal bolt, apparently the avanti's used it maybe others.

Also used on disc brake equipped Lark types.

Comment

bump-come on guys-some one must have one.

Comment

Sure no big deal. I have one most likely. Pm me if you haven't found one already. Thanks john

Comment

I still need that bolt and a 3/4" fan spacer. This car is dangerous to drive like this , the brake pedal is lower than the accelerator. I have already hit both at the same time several times. Last time I was lucky not to back into a concrete wall.

Comment

Check with Robert Kapteyn

Comment

It's not from a Stude--but I'm sure they bought these things from some supplier-maybe it's the same-- http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950...djustment-bolt
              Last edited by karterfred88; 06-01-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I'm not at home right now and don't have access to the Studebaker parts books, however there is a note in my parts inventory on my computer that indicates that 1552039 was superseded by 1552280.

Can someone with a later Book "F" confirm this?

I show having 9 of the 1552280 "Shoulder Bolt" in stock, but will need to pull one out and take a look at it when I get back home tomorrow.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                  I still need that bolt and a 3/4" fan spacer. This car is dangerous to drive like this , the brake pedal is lower than the accelerator. I have already hit both at the same time several times. Last time I was lucky not to back into a concrete wall.

If your brake pedal is lower than your gas pedal, I think there is a problem that this eccentric bolt can not cure. The return spring on the pedal, should raise the pedal back up to its position on the stop adjustment.

You should re-examine the setup and make sure it is all adjusted. Also di you put a spacer for converting a 4 bolt to 2 bolt master cylinder? That would make the Std rod short right of the bat..

After you set it all up, then put the rod in..

I can not see that eccentric giving you more than 1/8" pedal adjustment. A break pedal being as low as the Gas Pedal sounds like inches..

Seb

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                    I'm not at home right now and don't have access to the Studebaker parts books, however there is a note in my parts inventory on my computer that indicates that 1552039 was superseded by 1552280.

I show having 9 of the 1552280 "Shoulder Bolt" in stock, but will need to pull one out and take a look at it when I get back home tomorrow.
                    No notes in the Avanti parts book as to any different one being used either for stick or automatic. I have a bolt from a Lark pedal set (unknown year) and it is not eccentric, and the one in my Avanti is. It will adjust the pedal about 1" +/- total . That may hot be enough for his application, but since there is no return spring used with the Bendix disc brake system, the only other choice would be the wrong adapter to pedal rod, as there is no adjustment on that, or he somehow put spacers between the adapter assembly and the firewall. The pedal rod on the disc brake setup goes to the lever arm and transfers to the booster in rod-no adjustments there either-only from the booster into the master and that could be off. This is a continuation of an older thread that discussed all the possible ways to raise the pedal clearance. Maybe if he removed the spacers from the booster to the bracket it may help. This assumes he has the Avanti style booster, and not some other from a different year/brake combo.

Comment

I do not believe the 1552280 would be a good replacement for a 1552039, as it is listed for Drum Brakes, the 039 is for '63-'64 Lark Type with Disc Brakes.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No. My (last) 1971 Book F shows 1552039 as being available. By contrast, 1552280 was superseded by 1563217.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

I thought about removing the spacers from the booster, but thought it might screw something else up. Everything is put back together as it came apart. But the brake pedal was very low when I first got the car. I figured it was because everything was rusted up and brakes needing overhaul. I have disc brake conversion, and adjusted the booster rod to fit the new double cylinder. Right now the pin that goes to the booster is centered in the notched out portion of the booster bracket. Possibly someone has put in the wrong push rod from bottom of linkage to brake pedal. I just thought that by putting in an eccentric bolt it would solve the problem without having to take stuff apart again. Seems like if the booster spacers were removed then if would be difficult to install the booster rod to the linkage arm, since it will not be where the notch is .

Comment

Here are some pics of brake pedal and booster linkage.Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake pedal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1705793Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster1.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1705794Click image for larger version

Name:	Booster2.jpg
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	1705795

Comment

Originally posted by rbigcal View Post
                              Here are some pics of brake pedal and booster linkage.[ATTACH=CONFIG]54773[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54774[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]54775[/ATTACH]
                              Looking at the photos only, it seems the lever in the adapter is all the way back to near the firewall as it should appear. If you pull the pin to the booster clevis, and move it all the way against the firewall, how high is the pedal then?
                              That is about what you would get by removing the spacer, also about the amount the eccentric will move it +/- a little. If that's still too low the only other fix I can think of is to find a longer pedal to adapter arm rod. I'd have to take mine apart to measure it to see if its the same as yours or longer, my Avanti pedal is higher than yours but a photo from a disc brake Lark would be better to compare to. If someone has a Lark parts book-do the disc brake rods and the power drum brake rods differ, different pedal numbers (may have hole in pedal arm at wrong place)? Did some of my own number hunting on Bob"s site. The pedal is the same for all with A/T. The rods have different numbers but that's all I can determine. The correct Lark A/t with DB 63-64 is 1559938 with PB and drum 1559726. on the Avanti 1557907. If the wrong rod was used it could be the difference.
                              Last edited by karterfred88; 06-01-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X