No announcement yet.

Looking for a #1552039 eccentric brake pedal to pushrod bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lark and Avanti rods are different lengths. I'm not sure if I noted the lengths or markings - will check later in my notes.

Comment

No luck on my notes. I guess I didn't make one after talking to Jon Myer. He's the go-to guy if you need parts. I did look at mine and measured aprox. 7/8" between the pin centreline and firewall re-inforcement. The rod should be in the upper hole on the brake pedal and that should give you approx. 5 1/2" from pedal top surface to the floor in the direction of pedal travel. The height would be fine tuned by the eccentric but probably not more than 1" total travel at the pedal. I you are in the correct hole on the pedal, and have the correct rod, then you may have a Chrysler booster that has a shorter pushrod. For those you have to remove the spacers on the booster mount for Avantis, but you would have interference with the firewall on a Lark. Your picture suggests that your engine side setup appears correct. If you need the correct rod and eccentric, call Jon Myer. He wii be able to supply you or advise you as to the correct rod length.

Comment

I measured my push rod center to center (more or less) by slipping a piece of welding rod through the firewall boot and bending it slightly outward to get the end of it in the center of the outside pin. Then marked the rod on the inside with a marker. Not 100% accurate but fairly close. I came up with 4-11/16" center to center.

Comment

Now I finally see that there is an upper hole, that may just fix it. That hole is way up in there looks like it will be a pita to install way up in there . If that doesn't give me enough I came up with a plan B, I'll take the booster off and remove the push rod, then saw it in half and thread the ends then put in a long coupling nut. The push rod was in the lower hole when I dissembled it,because I made a note of it. I imagine somebody had it apart before. Thanks for the input. I will update later

Comment

That's where studying the parts manual is imperative when assembling parts. On the illustration of the disk brake setup, the dotted line goes from the upper pedal hole to the pushrod eccentric. Moving the attachment to the upper hole will make a large difference in pedal height. You may still need the eccentric to fine tune the height.

Comment

Make sure, too, that your plastic bushings for the eccentric bolt are intact. This is very important! Without them you'll never get rid of all the play in the pedal (1) and (2) any adjustments of the eccentric will be worth little (in my car the eccentric would gradually rotate and no adjustment would stick). For 1966 cars with disc brakes the part number is 1552040. I found this out through experience.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I moved bolt to upper hole and it made very little difference, maybe a !/4" of an inch at most. I took the push rod off then cut it in half, threaded each half with a 3/8" die then added a coupling nut in between. Push rod was about 4-1/2" center to center and by making it about 4-3/4", 1/4" longer that brought my pedal up to 5-1/2 "" from floor as WCP had said his was. Works great now.

Comment

Glad you found a work around-hope you used a steel coupler not brass, that takes a lot of pressure. Good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X