Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

57 Silver Hawk - FIN DELETE?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MagikDraggin
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude
    "To each his own liking" as my mother used to say. When I was a teenager I used to sit on the ground and stare at the fins of our 58 Silver Hawk for hours. I thought they were the most beautiful things on earth!

    Leonard Shepherd
    Yep! I can relate to that. I have even been seriously considering finding a pair of those fins and having them put on my '62 GT.
    `

    `

    `

    `(just kidding)(I do like fins however)...they are what separates the real men from the boys in their jelly-bean shaped Hondas.


    1962 GT Hawk 4sp

    Leave a comment:


  • MagikDraggin
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude
    "To each his own liking" as my mother used to say. When I was a teenager I used to sit on the ground and stare at the fins of our 58 Silver Hawk for hours. I thought they were the most beautiful things on earth!

    Leonard Shepherd
    Yep! I can relate to that. I have even been seriously considering finding a pair of those fins and having them put on my '62 GT.
    `

    `

    `

    `(just kidding)(I do like fins however)...they are what separates the real men from the boys in their jelly-bean shaped Hondas.


    1962 GT Hawk 4sp

    Leave a comment:


  • StudeRich
    replied
    Ok, it's pretty clear that these export finless Hawks were just re-makes of the '56 Power Hawk, certainly nothing like this one in the U.S.

    I could be wrong but I would think, being cost conscious as we know Studebaker was, they would not make a thousand versions of these things, if a U.S. customer insisted on one, it wouldn't be too hard to use one of these existing export ones.

    quote:Originally posted by BShaw

    Michael Bostedt in Sweden owns a 1959 finless Silver Hawk.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

    Leave a comment:


  • StudeRich
    replied
    Ok, it's pretty clear that these export finless Hawks were just re-makes of the '56 Power Hawk, certainly nothing like this one in the U.S.

    I could be wrong but I would think, being cost conscious as we know Studebaker was, they would not make a thousand versions of these things, if a U.S. customer insisted on one, it wouldn't be too hard to use one of these existing export ones.

    quote:Originally posted by BShaw

    Michael Bostedt in Sweden owns a 1959 finless Silver Hawk.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

    Leave a comment:


  • BShaw
    replied
    Michael Bostedt in Sweden owns a 1959 finless Silver Hawk. Here are his pics and info:

    http://1959silverhawk.info.se/


    BShaw,Webmaster

    60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota

    Leave a comment:


  • BShaw
    replied
    Michael Bostedt in Sweden owns a 1959 finless Silver Hawk. Here are his pics and info:

    http://1959silverhawk.info.se/


    BShaw,Webmaster

    60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota

    Leave a comment:


  • lstude
    replied
    quote:Whether or not this car came from the factory without fins, I like the look! My son's project '58 Silver Hawk has lost its fins and the look is clean and nice.


    Joe Roberts
    "To each his own liking" as my mother used to say. When I was a teenager I used to sit on the ground and stare at the fins of our 58 Silver Hawk for hours. I thought they were the most beautiful things on earth!

    Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

    Leave a comment:


  • lstude
    replied
    quote:Whether or not this car came from the factory without fins, I like the look! My son's project '58 Silver Hawk has lost its fins and the look is clean and nice.


    Joe Roberts
    "To each his own liking" as my mother used to say. When I was a teenager I used to sit on the ground and stare at the fins of our 58 Silver Hawk for hours. I thought they were the most beautiful things on earth!

    Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

    Leave a comment:


  • monomaniac
    replied
    Don't know if "fin delete" was ever done in North America but it certainly WAS done in Belgium for the European market.

    Leave a comment:


  • monomaniac
    replied
    Don't know if "fin delete" was ever done in North America but it certainly WAS done in Belgium for the European market.

    Leave a comment:


  • JRoberts
    replied
    I believe somebody from Europe posted either here or on the newsgroup quite awhile ago pictures of his "finless" Hawk. Can't remember much, but I believe he had/has a website with those pictures.

    Whether or not this car came from the factory without fins, I like the look! My son's project '58 Silver Hawk has lost its fins and the look is clean and nice.


    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

    Leave a comment:


  • JRoberts
    replied
    I believe somebody from Europe posted either here or on the newsgroup quite awhile ago pictures of his "finless" Hawk. Can't remember much, but I believe he had/has a website with those pictures.

    Whether or not this car came from the factory without fins, I like the look! My son's project '58 Silver Hawk has lost its fins and the look is clean and nice.


    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

    Leave a comment:


  • BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude

    The seller of this 57 Silver Hawk claims that it was ordered without fins. Could this be true? I know Studebaker did a lot of things to please the customer, but I have never heard of this.
    "Never say Never" in Studebakerland, but the beauty of our marque is that we have accurate build orders available for most of our cars. As was said, because the seller posted the Serial Number, it will be easy to access the Build Order. Something as major as fin delete would certainly be noted thereon.

    In the absence of that or other concrete documentation, we'd have another candidate for the infamous Studebaker Urban Legends Page...you know, the page with the 1961 GT Hawks, the factory dual-quad and/or supercharged 1956 Golden Hawks, etc.... BP

    Leave a comment:


  • BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude

    The seller of this 57 Silver Hawk claims that it was ordered without fins. Could this be true? I know Studebaker did a lot of things to please the customer, but I have never heard of this.
    "Never say Never" in Studebakerland, but the beauty of our marque is that we have accurate build orders available for most of our cars. As was said, because the seller posted the Serial Number, it will be easy to access the Build Order. Something as major as fin delete would certainly be noted thereon.

    In the absence of that or other concrete documentation, we'd have another candidate for the infamous Studebaker Urban Legends Page...you know, the page with the 1961 GT Hawks, the factory dual-quad and/or supercharged 1956 Golden Hawks, etc.... BP

    Leave a comment:


  • Michael
    replied
    Fin delete was an option on the CKD 1957-61 Hawks assembled in Belgium.
    I used to own a 1959 Silver Hawk which was sold new in Germany.
    That Hawk came finless from the factory.

    Michael
    -1953 Champion Starliner
    -1953 Commander Starlight

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X