57 Silver Hawk - FIN DELETE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Silver Hawk - FIN DELETE?

The seller of this 57 Silver Hawk claims that it was ordered without fins. Could this be true? I know Studebaker did a lot of things to please the customer, but I have never heard of this.

He also states that it had a 2 speed transmission. Would he have ordered a 1st gear delete also?

http://tinyurl.com/3bjfgd

Here is the description:

THIS IS A RARE SILVERHAWK, THE CAR WAS ORDERED WITHOUT THE REAR HAWK-FINS THAT NORMALLY CAME ON A 57 SILVER OR GOLDENHAWK, THIS CAR CAME FROM A GENTLEMAN WHO HAS OWNED IT FOR MANY YEARS AND RESTORED IT OVER THE YEARS. IT IS POWERED BY A 289CI V-8 AND A 2-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Actually, I think it looks nice. Checking the build sheetshould tell. Maybe because it starts out in 2nd, they think it is a 2 speed.

Comment

Actually, I think it looks nice. Checking the build sheetshould tell. Maybe because it starts out in 2nd, they think it is a 2 speed.

Comment

If only I had a memory! The possibility of a 'fin delete'by the factory was discussed some where.But I don't remember if it was ever confirmed. Wonder why the fender spear is mounted so far forward?

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

If only I had a memory! The possibility of a 'fin delete'by the factory was discussed some where.But I don't remember if it was ever confirmed. Wonder why the fender spear is mounted so far forward?

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Actually, I think it looks nice. Checking the build sheetshould tell. Maybe because it starts out in 2nd, they think it is a 2 speed.
            Yes, you're right. I was just joking about the 1st gear. That is a common misconception.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Actually, I think it looks nice. Checking the build sheetshould tell. Maybe because it starts out in 2nd, they think it is a 2 speed.
              Yes, you're right. I was just joking about the 1st gear. That is a common misconception.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I thought you might be Leonard. I don't like the look of that turnbuckle between the A/C and the alternater. I saw one those at HD the other day. Can anybody up in that area take a look at it. Maybe check for mounting holes, etc. I still like it.

Comment

I thought you might be Leonard. I don't like the look of that turnbuckle between the A/C and the alternater. I saw one those at HD the other day. Can anybody up in that area take a look at it. Maybe check for mounting holes, etc. I still like it.

Comment

Fin delete was an option on the CKD 1957-61 Hawks assembled in Belgium.
                    I used to own a 1959 Silver Hawk which was sold new in Germany.
                    That Hawk came finless from the factory.

Michael
                    -1953 Champion Starliner
                    -1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

Fin delete was an option on the CKD 1957-61 Hawks assembled in Belgium.
                      I used to own a 1959 Silver Hawk which was sold new in Germany.
                      That Hawk came finless from the factory.

Michael
                      -1953 Champion Starliner
                      -1953 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

The seller of this 57 Silver Hawk claims that it was ordered without fins. Could this be true? I know Studebaker did a lot of things to please the customer, but I have never heard of this.
                        "Never say Never" in Studebakerland, but the beauty of our marque is that we have accurate build orders available for most of our cars. As was said, because the seller posted the Serial Number, it will be easy to access the Build Order. Something as major as fin delete would certainly be noted thereon.

In the absence of that or other concrete documentation, we'd have another candidate for the infamous Studebaker Urban Legends Page...you know, the page with the 1961 GT Hawks, the factory dual-quad and/or supercharged 1956 Golden Hawks, etc.... BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by lstude

"Never say Never" in Studebakerland, but the beauty of our marque is that we have accurate build orders available for most of our cars. As was said, because the seller posted the Serial Number, it will be easy to access the Build Order. Something as major as fin delete would certainly be noted thereon.

In the absence of that or other concrete documentation, we'd have another candidate for the infamous Studebaker Urban Legends Page...you know, the page with the 1961 GT Hawks, the factory dual-quad and/or supercharged 1956 Golden Hawks, etc.... BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I believe somebody from Europe posted either here or on the newsgroup quite awhile ago pictures of his "finless" Hawk. Can't remember much, but I believe he had/has a website with those pictures.

Whether or not this car came from the factory without fins, I like the look! My son's project '58 Silver Hawk has lost its fins and the look is clean and nice.

Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser

Comment

I believe somebody from Europe posted either here or on the newsgroup quite awhile ago pictures of his "finless" Hawk. Can't remember much, but I believe he had/has a website with those pictures.

Whether or not this car came from the factory without fins, I like the look! My son's project '58 Silver Hawk has lost its fins and the look is clean and nice.

Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X