Champ fan blade color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ fan blade color?

I'm replacing the water pump on my 64 8E7 259 and want to repaint the fan while I have it off. I had thought the fans were originally Pima Red, but it appears this one has been black all its life. Can someone confirm that? Thanks!
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

I do not believe the Champ Engines were any different than the Car Engines except the Serial Number, Cyl. Head Compression, Carb. spacer and Air Cleaner.

So that would make your Fan the same Color as the Oil Caps, the Darker of the 2 Chev. Red/Orange Duplicolor Engine Enamels.

Some NOS factory Replacement Fans were Black but usually not original '62 to '66's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My 1964 Champ with the OHV six has a black fan and 28 years ago when I restored our 64 Daytona Convertible , I took a NOS fan out of a box It was black and it is that way today

Comment

I'm not certain what if any color changes 8Es had,but I did My 63's 299 to look like the Passenger Cars and it looks Lovely
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys!
          Mike Davis

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
            My 1964 Champ with the OHV six has a black fan and 28 years ago when I restored our 64 Daytona Convertible , I took a NOS fan out of a box It was black and it is that way today
            I believe all replacement fan blades were painted black because that's the way they came from the supplier. But that same blade unit might have been painted orange if had been installed on a vehicle by the factory.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Here is a link to the museum site showing 64 Lark type frames on the assembly line with the engines mounted. I noticed all the fan blades are red. http://studebakerarchives.photoshelt...000pezUJQ1ZoGE
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

If I remember correctly, the fan on the 64 8E7 Champ that I owned years ago was painted reddish orange when I bought the truck from the original owner. I know I repainted it with Chevy orange when I rebuilt the engine. Since there is no fan shroud on the Champs, the orange fan is a good idea as it is easier to see when the engine is running. Bud

Comment

My '64 Champ 8E5 was stock black, but I painted it yellow to match the valve cover, mainly for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    If I remember correctly, the fan on the 64 8E7 Champ that I owned years ago was painted reddish orange when I bought the truck from the original owner. I know I repainted it with Chevy orange when I rebuilt the engine. Since there is no fan shroud on the Champs, the orange fan is a good idea as it is easier to see when the engine is running. Bud
                    I agree. There seems to be no real consensus, and while mine appears to have been black from the start, it may have been a replacement. I think I'm going with the orange/red.
                    Mike Davis

Comment

Would Allis Chalmers Persian Orange or Case Flambeau Red be close?
                      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                        Would Allis Chalmers Persian Orange or Case Flambeau Red be close?
                        Not unless it is identical to the Darker of the 2 Chev. Red/Orange Duplicolor Engine Enamels.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X