Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tjanowia
    replied
    Great news. We found the architectural drawings and a CD made by the Company hired to dismantle it hidden away with one of our Historic groups. Now to get the City's thumbs out of their posterior.

Leave a comment:

• fiveftsix
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    I would love to compare it with the familiar British 'Police Box' since they are both from the same era: http://www.policeboxes.com/pboxhist.htm

Craig
    Well if it was made of Bricks to English standards they would have been 9x4x3 high
    Geoff

Leave a comment:

• 56Golden
    replied
    Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
    ... I read a post on the forum from 1999 I believe of members who took pictures of it before its disassembly but couldn't pull them up for some reason. If anyone has anything that would be of help and could e-mail them to me so I can forward them to the City It would be greatly appreciated and would resurrect about the only part of Plant 2 left. My e-mail is tim.janowiak@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.

Try this one... Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00782.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1705774

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Don't you just love that tile roof? The years pass and it just laughs it off. The whole building would have been a wreck if it had had an ashphalt shingle roof.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    For the record the brick guard house now under discussion was built in 1928 and had 122 square feet.
    I would love to compare it with the familiar British 'Police Box' since they are both from the same era: http://www.policeboxes.com/pboxhist.htm

Craig

Leave a comment:

• tjanowia
    replied
    Do you remember anything about the layout inside like desks, shelves, electrics etc. ?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
    From the monon.org site

Must have been taken in the early 2000's. LOTS of weed cover by 2007 when I got a chance to get a photo of it from the same angle:

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Here is a shot taken in c1950 and just forwarded to me by Tim Janowiak who started this thread. It was emailed to him by the Northern Indiana Center for History. Nice view looking southwest taken from building #58 (the old Newman/Altman Standard Surplus bldg). Sample street in foreground. The long low building stretching to the right was the machine shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	guard house machine shop copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1704668

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by tjanowia View Post
    Great detail. I'm trying to figure dimensions by counting bricks and adding mortar joints but don't seem to jive with the 120 sq. ft. but math was never my specialty. I measured the bricks and they were about 8" long and a little less than 4" wide.Think I'll send this to a brick layer buddy and leave it to a professional. Thanks
    I will preface this by saying that I am not a mason (where is Matt's grandfather?)
    I believe that the brick dimensions of 4" and 8" include one concrete joint.
    The short side of the building looks like 13 bricks (13 X 8" = 104") plus one brick end of 4". This gives a total of 108" or nine feet.
    What is the count of bricks on the front/long side of the building?
    Richard stated that the building was 122 sq.ft.
    We may get into some discrepancy comparing exterior dimensions with what may be interior area.

Leave a comment:

• tjanowia
    replied
    Just thinking, great to see a Studebaker Building being built instead of being torn down.

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    I'm guessing, solid brick with the view it would have had. I had many relatives that past through that gate every work day, or night when there were 3 shifts. Chances are I would have worked there too, had they not shut down in 63 when I was just a Freshman at Mishawaka High School. This summer is my 50TH high school reunion and I'm taking the 1966 Daytona back. It's the year I graduated and the school colors, maroon and white. What could be more appropriate?
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Great, I never got that angle. Looks like we have 3 of the 4 sides covered. Have to use our imagination on that west side!

Leave a comment:

• tjanowia
    replied
    Great detail. I'm trying to figure dimensions by counting bricks and adding mortar joints but don't seem to jive with the 120 sq. ft. but math was never my specialty. I measured the bricks and they were about 8" long and a little less than 4" wide.Think I'll send this to a brick layer buddy and leave it to a professional. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Great, I never got that angle. Looks like we have 3 of the 4 sides covered. Have to use our imagination on that west side!

Leave a comment:

• Bordeaux Daytona
    replied
    From the monon.org site

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    Call up the crew from the television show "This Old House" and tell them that we have a historic building to reconstruct.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X