Studebaker Main Gate and Guard House to be reassembled in South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Main Gate and Guard House to be reassembled in South Bend

Been talking to City officials and they are very enthusiastic about putting the Main Gate and Guard House back up that has been in storage for many years. They are talking about putting it back up in Ignition Park near its original spot or incorporating it into the new streetscape being built around South Bend recognizing its historic value. The problem is no architectural drawings can be found but think that if we get some really good pictures or information on it that it can be put back to it's original splendor. I read a post on the forum from 1999 I believe of members who took pictures of it before its disassembly but couldn't pull them up for some reason. If anyone has anything that would be of help and could e-mail them to me so I can forward them to the City It would be greatly appreciated and would resurrect about the only part of Plant 2 left. My e-mail is tim.janowiak@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.

Might the South Bend Historical Society (assuming that there is such an organization) have photos?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Posted this one on the South Bend history site a few days ago. I have others both old and newer (color).

Click image for larger version

Name:	guard house.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1704563
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Another one in more modern times.

Name:	IMG_1576 copy.jpg
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1704564
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Yet another.

Name:	IMG_1577 copy.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1704565
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Wow Richard you do have a lot of pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
              Wow Richard you do have a lot of pictures.
              You ain't seen nothin' yet!
              Richard Quinn

Comment

Guard house on right. 1952 looking east on Sample Street from the power house. Overhead body conveyor near completion but not yet in service.

Name:	sample street copy 2.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1704567
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Dick,
                  That last image is impressive & I believe most of the Forum members enjoy you sharing with us. Thanks for your efforts.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                    Dick,
                    That last image is impressive & I believe most of the Forum members enjoy you sharing with us. Thanks for your efforts.
                    That image was a commonly used one from the late summer of 1952 when they were readying that overhead conveyor seen in the background for 1953 models, comparing it with 1952 bodies being trucked to the storage facility south of Sample Street. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ll-want-to-see

Another close-up of the guardhouse here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ears-ago-today

Craig

Comment

Cool pictures.

I hope they they get this done.
                      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks Richard, I was hoping you would chime in and if worse comes to worse we could count bricks and figure out the dimensions. I have contacted the Tribune, Historic Preservation Commission, Michiana Drivers Club and the Museum who hasn't responded yet and have been told to check the archives at the Library. It would also be great to get some photos of the inside and interviews with anyone that worked there. Can't even find anything on what year it was built but the bricks look like they match the old motor plant next door of which I have a pallet of bricks to replace any damaged ones. Be a great addition to the Studebaker Trail and unveil at next year's International. Mr. Quinn, I will be contacting you before long. Please keep any information and photos coming and this will happen. Thanks,

Comment

Fantastic project!

Comment

Here's some pics I took in 2008. I'm glad I took them when I did. Nice to hear that they'll be restored again. There was a pic on here before of the guardhouse on the other side, Newman Altman. I think I saved it if no one else has it. I don't know if that guardhouse was saved, I thought that it was.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks John, great pictures of the wood trim under the overhangs which will help a lot as I don't see any wood pieces left. Looks like it was in a little worse shape than I remember but nothing that can't be repaired. The guard house on the north side of Sample St. I am told was also saved but no one seems to know what happened to it. Been trying to track it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X