Difference between 53 CK grill surrounds and 54 CK grill surrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between 53 CK grill surrounds and 54 CK grill surrounds

I have a friend that is doing a 53 K that had several grill surrounds that were included in the car. The right side fits perfectly but the left side is off by 1 1/2 to 2 inches and does not line up with the front sheet metal.

Is there a difference between the 53 and 54 grill surrounds? If there is a difference, does anyone have a left 53 so he can finish his project? Body is mounted on the chassis and engine is set in and the pieces have been fitted several times. Getting close to paint but this has set the project back a bit.

Thanks for your help

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Home of Lazarus and Meshach

The only difference between '53 and '54 surrounds are holes drilled for the grill bars, no big deal. There is a big difference between c/k surrounds and sedan surrounds. It sounds like he has one c/k surround and one sedan surround.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

The '54 Grille Bars from Sedan to Coupe/Hardtop are also radically different due to their angle. Many times these are purchased in error.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

He has the grill bars for a 53. The length for the surrounds is the same. I thought they were different lengths from sedan to coupe The holes that are drilled are the same just the height is different and the way they fit on the front sheet metal. Does he have a sedan left side. I will see if I can post some pictures.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

Yes. Sedans are slightly taller

Comment

Thanks good to learn something new every day. Does anyone have a C/K left grill surround? I was given the extra ones and sold them not knowing of this problem and the person I sold them to and explained what happened does not want to sell them back.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
            X