Couple of Champ questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Champ questions.

1. What is the name or part number of the clip that holds the wires to the firewall? Is it authentic? I want to do a big order to SI and I'd like to know this final piece.

2. Is there any way to fix the gap between the steering wheel and the cup thingie behind it? And possibly get the turn signal canceler to work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	champ0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1750666 Click image for larger version

Name:	champ1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1750667
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Not sure part number, but that clip is authentic and was used on multiple models - lot of them around and they are not something that has to be NOS to look decent.

Your wheel is not screwed all the way down. Take off the wheel and make sure the splines are clean on both the shaft and in inside of the wheel. It should slide all the way down and the large nut just keeps it from backing off. The cancel for the signal lights is a plastic thingy that screws to the signal light arm inside the housing. On the inside of the wheel is a metal post on the inside of the wheel that catches the cancel as the wheel turns.

Good luck.

Comment

If the wheel is in place per above post, loosen the clamp that holds the jacket to the dash. Next loosen the clamp on the jacket at the steering box. Slide the jacket up to the steering wheel then tighten back up.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        Your wheel is not screwed all the way down. Take off the wheel and make sure the splines are clean on both the shaft and in inside of the wheel. It should slide all the way down and the large nut just keeps it from backing off. The cancel for the signal lights is a plastic thingy that screws to the signal light arm inside the housing. On the inside of the wheel is a metal post on the inside of the wheel that catches the cancel as the wheel turns.
        It's possible that your turn signal canceller isn't making contact with the sterring wheel because of that gap. Fix the gap and you might also fix the canceller.
        Or as Londoners say, "Mind the gap!"
        Mike Davis
        Regional Manager, North Carolina
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

My guess is that the jacket is "wobbly". If so, you need to pull the steering wheel and adjust per shop manual. I believe (as above) your directional issues may resolve once the jacket-to-column is adjusted correctly..... I don't remember a clamp to secure the jacket......(do I recall 2 square headed bolts ???? I may not recall..

Comment

I moved the jacket up and the signals still don't cancel. It seems to be missing a part called a pawl bracket. While I'm in there I might as well replace other worn parts. Does anybody have a 1551158, 533699, and 533698?
            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Working...
            X