Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you think you've seen a rusty Studebaker resurrected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you think you've seen a rusty Studebaker resurrected?

PekkaP treated us to a report of his modified 1955 President coupe's appearance at their local car show in Helsinki, Finland, in another thread.

I was intrigued by the nice 1951 Hudson Hornet sedan Pekka included among his photos, and asked him about it. He reported it being a rusty Minnesota car imported to Finland and restored there, per this link to the Finland AMC Club. Even if you can't read the language, the pictures throughout the thread tell the story:

http://www.amccf.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y...1264338075/all

E-Gad, and you thought we brought back Studebakers with structural rust! What gorgeous work, eh? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Wow! I wish I could read the description for some of those pictures. I wonder how many hours went into that build? The details are fantastic.
    It just shows what desire + money + skill + tools and equipment + time + resources + talented help can accomplish. I usually can come up with the desire, but most of the others are in short supply.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

That is remarkable work~! Just the fabrication of the new frame is spectacular. It's amazing that car was able to hold together at all with all of that metal missing!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I keep getting a 403 Forbidden error image ?
        I must have something set wrong on my computer ?
        Anyone have a suggestion how to reset or fix it ?
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I am getting the same "forbidden"message.

Comment

What a glorious restoration that guy has achieved, true craftmanship
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Incredible diligence and workmanship. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                I keep getting a 403 Forbidden error image ?
                I must have something set wrong on my computer ?
                Anyone have a suggestion how to reset or fix it ?
                Same for me too...
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

A very impressive restoration, but the replacement of all the frame and floors is very commonly done on serious racers, including drag cars, even when starting with cars that are not rusted out. It is all the detail work that sets this one apart.
                  Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                  See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

I'm sorry some of you are getting the Forbidden message. I sent the link to Bill Pressler earlier and he got the same thing. We think it's because it is a Finnish website and some computer systems may block foreign websites.

That's the only explanation this computer ignoramus can offer, since many of us are getting it with no trouble. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I would like to think that I have done some fairly good work. Especially, since I have not had any formal training in body work, welding, and restoration skills. In fact, some of the skills required, were self taught as the need arose. However, looking at those pictures, tools employed, and facilities, I know I'm not anywhere close to that level. There is currently another thread about a 1937 Studebaker Coupe needing restoration. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...resident-coupe .

It has been a nearly lifelong dream of mine to own a pre-war car of this era. I'm fast moving beyond the age where extensively restoring a car like this is not a practical goal. Therefore, instead of an unrealistic fantasy about the '37 Coupe, I'm now hoping that someone with the skills, like those who restored this Hudson, will find this Studebaker. In my opinion... if a rusty four door sedan can receive such attention...surely a very desirable coupe should deserve the same kind of attention.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Being from NYS, I have dealt with many rusty Studebakers. One prime example comes to mind. It was a 1955 Speedster. When we went to open the driver's door, a pull on the door handle simply pealed the outer door skin off the car. That Speedster was brought back to be a stock, show winning car.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I always knew that Hudsons were built like a Tank, but I never knew how.
                          Now I see that it seems to have BOTH a internal Frame like a Stude. but also a perimeter frame!

No wonder they survived in a Jalopy Derby! What a Beast!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Nobody does rust like Minnesota. Go Vikings and go Twins!
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Try it again. The site came up just now for me.
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X