Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Champ Trucks Had Automatic Transmission

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Joe had one for sale at his auction a couple of years ago. It didn't sell. Supposed to be an old California Highway Department truck.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

    Comment


    • #17
      Even better, how many C Cabs had factory Auto?
      I know, I know, pay the fine....LOL

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
        Even better, how many C Cabs had factory Auto?
        I know, I know, pay the fine....LOL
        A local friend of mine bought a new 1957 pickup with V8, AT, R & H. Supposedly, it was so that his wife could drive it. I do not know that she ever did. He sold the truck, probably early 1970s, and bought it back in the late 1980s. I do not know the location of the truck now.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

        SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

        Comment


        • #19
          Back in the 80s my dad had a 61 half ton auto 3.73 gears. There wasn't much on the street that could touch it in the 1/8 mile.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
            I take it Yours is Automatic ?
            Nope! New Process 5-speed overdrive!
            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

            Comment


            • #21
              I know the mid 50's trucks with the automatic are rare, a club member here in the Yakima has a 1955 V8 with an automatic.

              Comment


              • #22
                I've got one.... it looks factory is the only reason I rescued it from the garbage can. Got the paperwork coming from the SNM now.

                - - - Updated - - -

                There's one in Florida as well that's running. DoublePaddle, you around?

                Comment


                • #23
                  There is a 57 or 58 Transtar sitting beside a house near here that is a V-8 automatic. The elderly owner priced it to me a few years ago for way more than it was worth. It is not where he lives and I don't think he has seen it in a long time.
                  sigpic

                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I have a 63 Champ automatic with a 289 with a 4.09 rear end.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Justin, do You know if Engine and Rear are Factory to the Truck - or at least the Rear being Factory ? have any Pics to post.

                      Originally posted by abkco View Post
                      I have a 63 Champ automatic with a 289 with a 4.09 rear end.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by decappastubbie View Post
                        I know the mid 50's trucks with the automatic are rare, a club member here in the Yakima has a 1955 V8 with an automatic.
                        Is it a green pickup? Did it come from Olympia?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by studejohn View Post
                          Back in the 80s my dad had a 61 half ton auto 3.73 gears. There wasn't much on the street that could touch it in the 1/8 mile.
                          Your dad also had a Packard Hawk. Do you still have it?

                          Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ
                          Home of Lazarus and Meshach

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                            Justin, do You know if Engine and Rear are Factory to the Truck - or at least the Rear being Factory ? have any Pics to post.
                            Joseph, I have attached the production order. The engine and transmission numbers match. However...the truck is not a 3 speed! I never noticed that before on the order. There is absolutely no evidence that this was a standard. How can this be?Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_Pic0014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1704488

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Justin, it would be a 3 speed Automatic "first gear start" short tail shaft. if I got any of this wrong the Truck People will correct this.

                              Originally posted by abkco View Post
                              Joseph, I have attached the production order. The engine and transmission numbers match. However...the truck is not a 3 speed! I never noticed that before on the order. There is absolutely no evidence that this was a standard. How can this be?[ATTACH=CONFIG]52749[/ATTACH]
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                My plumber had a 55 Transtar 3/4 ton with I imagine a DG-250. He was also the original owner of my current Power Hawk.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X