Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just got production order,for 54 hardtop, got questons!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got production order,for 54 hardtop, got questons!!

had this car for a few years, it is i think very different from your avg. one, has a factory tack,lay down seats, defroster in trunk, & wyper on back glass, wished i could put pics up here but never been able to , any one could point me the right drection, ? send private message or reply to my reg. email danslarks@hotmail.com, any info ????

Here are the pics....

Click image for larger version

Name:	054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1704319

Name:	053.jpg
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1704320

Name:	052.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1704321

Name:	049.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1704322

Name:	048.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1704323
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

had this car for a few years, it is i think very different from your avg. one, has a factory tack,lay down seats, defroster in trunk, & wyper on back glass, wished i could put pics up here but never been able to , any one could point me the right drection, ? send private message or reply to my reg.
      There are a couple of well-known Studes which were modified by S-P personnel with back-door access to the parts bins. Those modifications wouldn't be reflected on the Production Order. However, it's difficult to impossible at this late date to state conclusively how changes not referenced on the Production Order came to be. Could have been a mechanic at a dealership who modified his own car in his spare time, a talented owner who lived in a humid climate and wanted a clear rear glass, or just someone with a SASCO catalog and spare time.

anyhoo, interestingcargladyoushared hop sumun lse cn hlp wth mre infurmatn.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Before he left St. Louis for sunny Arizona, a friend wired up a Studebaker defroster for the rear window of his '58 Hardtop; LOTS of rear glass on those cars.

Comment

There is a rear defroster accessory that was available, but that is not it. Yours looks like the normal one for the dash. Does it have heater hoses connected? I have only seen 1 or 2 of the factory accessory ones and those are just a blower fan with a short duct and a grill on the package shelf. There is a picture of the grill in the accessory brochure. The grill(s) are supposed to mount on far ends of the shelf.

Jeff in ND

Comment

It has a later ('55 and up) V8 in it also. From what's left of the gasket on the drivers side valve cover, it might be from a '55.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Gary, i am in spfd mo, in the Ozarks trails club , any way, thought these might have been put on by a person like an Exeutive in studebaker at the time , sence it was so odd , to have these never saw lay down seats in those eather ? hope i here more what was happining with it , dan.

Comment

Paul, i will try to get more pics of it it is in a pole barn in the country, i thought it might be the last part of 54 so it may have got the 55 engine ? Bob, Johnstone , put the pics up for me i cant seem to do it on here, but i can to peoples emails ? any way the engine#is v307889, havent looked on the one in the car , dan.

Comment

according to the info on Bob's website, you have a 54 232. 55 did not start until serial number 312,701

V-282,501

1954 Commander 5H

V-312,701

1955 Commander 16G8

78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

If that engine is a 232, howcome the fuel pump is driven directly by the cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                      If that engine is a 232, howcome the fuel pump is driven directly by the cam.
                      I believe that the engine number Dan provided was from the Production Order, since he states in post #9 that he hasn't looked on the one in the car.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

yes, paul , i havent got out there to look at the # on the engine yet , & i want to take more pics of it, i was thinking may be a executive in sdc back than might have said i want these parts put on my car i drive to see responce may be to sell more cars or? i realy would like to know how far back i can trace from Maryland where it was titled & now it is in my name dan.

Comment

The 4 barrel carb, intake, lack of a fuel pump on the oil filler tube and as Paul pointed out the remains of the decal on the valve cover, all suggest '55 259. If the reason for replacing the original 232 was increasing the vehicle's power? A 6 volt Studebaker 259 would be a significanly simple improvement? I'm curious about the tachometer, it appears very similar to one I bought several years ago that uses a modified speedometer with the odometer removed, the face replaced with one from a clock and I assume, some alteration to the gearing? The one I have is in a complete '54 gauge cluster that I bought. It is in a green shroud and I have seen others advertised or for sale at swap meets, all having a green shroud. All of the ones l have seen are graduated up to 8,000 rpm. Yours is slightly different, perhaps because it may be somewhat older than the ones I have seen? Does it have some kind of drive hooked to it? What would it take to duplicate such a drive?

Thanks,

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

mark, the tack has a cable like a spedo, it goes right in the copling in the front nose of the fan, well that could be , mine is a blue dash not green, on the engine did the 259 come out in 55 , ? could have been put in late in the 54 year switch over early ? i have been to some swap meets even south bend, never seen tack s like this before ? dan .

Comment

There were NOS 1954 dash units with a tachometer that were for sale years ago. They were originally intended for boat use.

The 259 came out for 1955 President models and later in the year was used for all V8 models. What is the Engine Number on the block? That would determine if it is a 1955 engine and, if so, how early in the production it was built.
                              It was fairly common to replace the V8 in 1953 and 1954s with 259s and later 289s. I have done it myself.
                              Since your production order lists a 1953 engine, that tells me that the engine now in the car was a later exchange.

It seems like we discussed this car before and had a difficult time trying to convince the owner that the car was modified after build.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X