SBC headers for a53 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC headers for a53 Champion

Does anyone know if there are off the shelf headers for a small block chevy that will clear the steering box on my 53 champion?

You might look at the Sanderson Block Huggers..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

X2 on the Sandersons. I have them on my Avanti. You won't find better without going to a custom built set.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I'm using headers for a 2006 and earlier Chevy truck. They dump at the rear and almost follow the slant of the firewall bottom.
        Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I'll check all of your ideas and let you know how I make out.

Comment

Be aware that the clearances for the Avanti/Lark bodies is very different from that of the Coupe/Hardtops. The engine setback is changed from one to the other. Just because the headers will fit the Avanti, does not mean they will fit the Coupe. Don't buy blindly. BeeJay probably has the correct setup for you.
            sals54

Comment

Why not cast iron exhaust? Rams horn have been proven time and time again to be as good as the best header under 5000 rpm. These look great too.
              http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flowte...sh,141137.html
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Beejay,
                Are you using long or short tube, is it possible for you to post a photo of it in your car?

Comment

I've always used corvette snug fitting log manifolds from the 60's and cut up from the flange an inch or two and rewelded it on at a different angle to clear the steering box. Works perfect. Never had any luck with snug fit tube headers required to much fabrication.

Comment

Using headers that are direct replacement for 2006 Chevy Truck. When installed on truck, they match stock head pipes. Natch, pipes on the Stude are custom bent.
                    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Good luck, I'm going through the same thing but a 52 and a big block. I tried cast exhaust manifolds for a 70/74 BBC corvette. No luck.

Looks like I'll have to have them custom made, I'm thinking fenderwell type, electric cut outs and side pipes.

Dean.

Comment

Wow, that sounds like a major undertaking. Good luck with that, I bet it will look great when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron53 View Post
                          Wow, that sounds like a major undertaking. Good luck with that, I bet it will look great when it's done.
                          It is only a major undertaking because I'm poor.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJay View Post
                            Using headers that are direct replacement for 2006 Chevy Truck. When installed on truck, they match stock head pipes. Natch, pipes on the Stude are custom bent.
                            The 06 chevy has a LS based vortec engine.
                            How would they fit a small block?

Comment

On my M series I used Camaro block huggers , But on Chevy pickup frame , the gearbox is outside frame , so I didn't have to worry about steering shaft.
                              Sorry for poor look of headers , were taken off , cleaned up and repainted after these pictures were taken !

Click image for larger version

Name:	header.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1704388Click image for larger version

Name:	header 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1704389
                              Randy Wilkin
                              1946 M5 Streetrod
                              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133