Starter solenoid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter solenoid question

I have a 6 volt positive ground starter solenoid question. The car would not start - turn the key press the starter button and get one click. I got a new solenoid and put it in the old one had "BAT" on one of the large poles the new one is not marked. After installing the new one I get nothing when I push the starter button. If I ground the small pole where the starter button is hooked up to to the large pole the battery is hooked up it starts with out a problem. The question is could I have put it in backwards? Can I reverse the position of the wires to the opposite poles with out burning any thing out. Does a solenoid work on either a positive or negative ground system. Could I have installed a negative ground solenoid and it will never work on a positive ground system?
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Is this for your '38 Commander? You may have gotten the wrong solenoid. What part number did you receive?

Comment

The solenoid does not care about battery polarity.

It may be wired internally differently than your old one.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The solenoid I got was just for a 6 volt it was not specifically for the 38 commander. It may be wired differently internally or I think I may have the wires on the wrong poles. That is why I was wondering if it made a difference if that was the case. I will switch them today and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens. If it doesn't work I will have to find the correct solenoid thanks again.

Comment

Sounds like you got a solenoid that is activated by applying battery voltage to the small terminal. The correct solenoid grounds the small terminal via the push button to activate.

Comment

It is working again. The solenoid I purchased was not working no matter which way it was connected. Just the wrong solenoid. I took the original one that had a threaded cap on the end and removed the cap which revealed a push rod so after working it a few times it made a click noise and became easy to push. Being it was me doing it, I thought I broke something internally but tried it anyway. Works perfectly!! It must have been stuck. It will probably go bad but at least I have time to find the proper one to replace it. Thanks to all for your help. I think I learned something and I do appreciate that.

Comment

Working...
            X