2017 International Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 International Meet

I just heard that the 2017 meet in south Bend is in May. That is the worst month to have a meet in South Bend. You cannot not depend on the weather you could get cold rain some snow birds are not home and the kids are still in school.
    Last edited by showbizkid; 03-06-2016, 08:13 AM. Reason: Political content.

..... Glad someone else thinks the same as I ( at least the Studebaker content )
    Last edited by 2R5; 03-05-2016, 11:26 AM.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Daytona View Post
      I just heard that the 2017 meet in south Bend is in May. That is the worst month to have a meet in South Bend. You cannot not depend on the weather you could get cold rain some snow birds are not home and the kids are still in school.
      Tom, for the past 4 decades, SDC has fielded literally hundreds of comments as to where and when International Meets should be held. Many don't want meets in July/August....too hot. Others, like you, don't want them in May/June or September/October....kids in school. It is impossible to please everyone.

SDC's Michiana Chapter has been running a highly successful meet in early May for many years and there is no reason to believe that the 2017 International will be anything less than successful. It will also be the inauguration of a shortened time frame, 4 days instead of 7. Let's all get behind the new format for SDC International Meets.

Stu Chapman
      Last edited by showbizkid; 03-06-2016, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I agree with Stu...and let's keep politics out of this discussion please.
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

I am one who has drove our Stude in very hot weather to the nationals and I am glad to see it in cooler weather .

Comment

I look forward to an international meet in South Bend in early May. We come that time every year anyway and whether it is hot or cold, I enjoy my time there. In fact I prefer it to be a little cool so I can wear a Studebaker-themed jacket.
            Last edited by showbizkid; 03-06-2016, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daytona View Post
              If not in May, have it in September, those fairgrounds are simply 'stupid hot' in July and August!!
              Last edited by showbizkid; 03-06-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

To add to what Stu said, this issue comes up several times a year, and the answer is always the same. Meet dates are only one of about a dozen equally important matters that have to be taken into consideration when planning an IM. Such things as the availability of a suitable hotel (number of rooms, room rates, parking lot size, availability of conference and banquet rooms, and willingness to accommodate SDC's requirements), trailer/RV parking, availability of other nearby higher/lower end hotels, camping areas, availability of chapter members to run the show, etc all play a part. Sometimes the ONLY time period available is one that will be a problem for some members. There simply is no way to satisfy everyone.

IM proposals are developed by local chapters (or the Museum) in coordination with the IM committee, and must be approved by the SDC board. Usually the board engages in a lengthy Q&A session with the meet chairman to assure themselves that the proposal meets all of the meet criteria to the maximum extent possible. If a meet has been approved, all these factors have been analyzed and no other dates are possible without sacrificing something else more important.
                Last edited by Skip Lackie; 03-05-2016, 02:36 PM.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

No offense to the above arguments, but I can understand how South Bend is the vacation capital of the world in June... I'm curious how the '16 Meet ever ended up over July 4th. Was the punch spiked?
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

It's good to know that the club is listening to the membership. I totally agree that May would be a good time for the So. Bend Int'l Meet. It'll be interesting to see how well the 4 day meet goes over. Personally, I think it will work.
                    I also agree that political opinions have no place on this forum.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Spring time in South Bend....I look forward to it! A kick-off to the car show season, I cant think of a better way to start!
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I would much rather put a jacket on in May than all day Thursday in the swap meet buildings
                        in the middle of summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                          No offense to the above arguments, but I can understand how South Bend is the vacation capital of the world in June... I'm curious how the '16 Meet ever ended up over July 4th. Was the punch spiked?
                          It isn't, it's June 26th to July 2nd. BTW, were you involved in the planning of the meet? Are you privy to why those dates were picked?
                          Chip
                          '63 Cruiser
                          '57 Packard wagon
                          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

A reminder that any political posts on this Forum will earn the poster an Infraction. 3 Infractions earn you a 30-day suspension. Please don't make us do that to you.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by wayne View Post
                              I am one who has drove our Stude in very hot weather to the nationals and I am glad to see it in cooler weather .

Comment

Working...
                              X