2017 International Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone,
    My wife & I are mulling things over regarding attending the 2017 International Meet (We aren't getting any younger). We have never participated before so much is up in the air. Has a hotel been selected or did I miss that? Also, how much would we be chastised if we showed up in our SRT8 Magnum instead of our 1983 Avanti? It is after all probably a 5000 mile round trip (from British Columbia) as we tend to stay off interstates as much as possible. Nothing is cast in stone and I have little doubt that the Avanti wouldn't make it unscathed as it is pretty original low mileage, relatively speaking. Our take on the dates is great but we would most certainly hit some foul weather going through the Rockies etc. Sorry we are just looking for feedback and we did put on over 2000 miles last year attending both a local event in Kamloops, British Columbia and also the Kelso Washington Can Am Zone meet. Another possibility is making the trip (still 4000 mile round trip) from our winter location in Arizona in our '57 Clipper wagon( it hasn't seen the road since 1965). If I can get it mostly finished and ready this fall for such a long trip. I believe it was Chip and '57 Pack stated how cool it would be to have all three of our wagons there together. Sorry for rambling but I guess reservations must be made pretty soon. Looking forward to your feedback.
    Cheers, Bill & Sonja

Comment

Originally posted by Daytona View Post
      I just heard that the 2017 meet in south Bend is in May. That is the worst month to have a meet in South Bend. You cannot not depend on the weather you could get cold rain some snow birds are not home and the kids are still in school.
      I do know that three years ago, it was so cold that I had to purchase a down filled coat. I didn't figure on that. As far as no banquet, the hall was full on Friday night. Don't know what else to say...
      ‚Äč
      Susan Lusted, What's Happening Turning Wheels
      studenews@outlook.com

Comment

Take the kids out of school for the necessary few days, and tell the school it's for a trip of a historical nature. True enough, right? You could even perhaps get their history teacher or whatever teacher is applicable to assign them to write a report on their trip. So they could "pay" for their days off.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          Take the kids out of school for the necessary few days, and tell the school it's for a trip of a historical nature. True enough, right? You could even perhaps get their history teacher or whatever teacher is applicable to assign them to write a report on their trip. So they could "pay" for their days off.
          I have successfully done that before with my kids. No problem with the school system here in Kentucky. They will grant "excused absences" if the request addresses art and historical significance. That is an easy write up, in making a connection with Studebakers & South Bend

Comment

There has been a huge Studebaker meet in South Bend in the month of May for the past 35 consecutive years! Why on earth should 2017 be any different?

Maybe we should have a specific "SDC Forum" where we all can chat about this 2017 SDC IM.

Comment

My wife and I also think having no Banquet is a Huge mistake

Comment

I had not heard that before, but if it is true it's MORE than a Big Mistake, it's a Disaster!

I wonder how many Members Tippecanoe Place can accommodate, that's where I'd be!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I look forward to attending my first meet next May!
                  Mike
                  Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

And then again, anything in the summer months mean the people from Australia will have their kids in school!
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Why are some acting like its a jail sentence to pull their kids out of school for a week or so? To me, its the most lame excuse I've ever heard to say they can't attend a meet because of that!

I have seen instances where school kids have missed a week where the parents have taken them on vacation trips, and instances of illness on the student's part forcing them to remain home or temporarily in a hospital if its serious. They can catch up with their schoolwork if need be.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        And then again, anything in the summer months mean the people from Australia will have their kids in school!
                        Schools in this area go until near the end of June. Our local schools were out just a couple of days before this year's Warwick Convention. Conventions during the school year not only affects students but also teachers that probably can not take a few days off at the end of the school year.

I have been told that May was selected due to availability of the fairgrounds. How about having the concours some place else, such as; Bendix Park (that has a Studebaker connection)?
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Schools in this area go until near the end of June. Our local schools were out just a couple of days before this year's Warwick Convention. Conventions during the school year not only affects students but also teachers that probably can not take a few days off at the end of the school year.

I have been told that May was selected due to availability of the fairgrounds. How about having the concours some place else, such as; Bendix Park (that has a Studebaker connection)?
                          Gary, Bendix Park is a good suggestion, however there is no facility there to house the swap meet, which seems to be the current requirement. By the way, your homeward driving directions were great. No problems at all. Thanks.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I am planning to make the trip. Will be my first studebaker meet, and hopefully the Lark will make it...

Whether it's hot or cold we will make the best of it and support the Studebaker name and club!

Comment

Call it what you want , it's still just the May swap meet
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

My thanks to Denny, Stu, and the others who continue to point out that we should be thankful that the Michiana Chapter is willing and able to put on an International meet. It has to be a huge undertaking which requires thousands of man hours to accomplish. I just feel lucky that there are still enough folks remaining that are willing to make that commitment. Thanks to you all!

I attended my first International last year in St. Louis, after trying to make the four prior to it, and had a great time and made several new member friends. Having only had the one experience I welcome the new format. It did seem to me the meet dragged a little in St. Louis. Perhaps it was because I don't have all of the old friendships to try and renew each year which require time to accomplish but I, for one, look forward to SB and the new format whenever it occurs.
                                Nick

Comment

Working...
                                X