Originally posted by plwindish View Post
      What are the May dates for the 2017 IM?
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdcmeet.asp
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Dusty, I did know that.
        Charlie D.

Comment

Part of that reason is that school was again in session. My son and I went for Sunday and Monday only because it was his FIRST full week of school. I could get by with him missing the first day, as there would be no homework or assignments. Schools these days do not always give excused absences to students just because their parents pulled them out of class. If it is for a vacation or something similar, they MAY NOT be excused, and their grades may suffer.

School in our area (Kansas City) starts the 3rd week of August (8/17/16 this year) and ends the 4th week of May (5/26/16 this year.) I would love to go, but the dates do not coincide with Spring Break or summer vacation either.

As I see it valuable for those that are interested in our Marque, I also understand that the current majority of the owners of our cars are well above the child-rearing years.

Don't worry everyone....They'll all be gone soon! Then we can hold it when you want it!!! (That's sarcasm right there!)

Yes, it would be nice to hold them at convenient times for everyone, but that will never happen. So, join every committee, every Chapter, and SDC, and make sure YOUR voice is heard in the OFFICIAL forums. If not, then tough luck. Maybe next year. I've been waiting for YEARS to attend an IM that was in the MW at a time I could attend. This was the second one in 16 years that has worked for us. The first time, our son was 8 months old. The second time he was 15. It may be a while for the next one, but we will keep driving our until we can attend again.

Either way, I hope they keep having them and they wortk out that we can go. We REALLY loved the one in SL, even if it was only for a day and a half.
          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            The IMs are sponsored by the chapters, not the intl club, so there is no "you" who should do things differently. For quite a while the Michiana Chapter and/or the Stude Museum has sponsored an IM every 5 years, to give us all a chance to get back to South Bend. Unfortunately, South Bend does not have a huge, multi-purpose convention facility with a huge parking lot and all the other amenities that an SDC IM requires, so meets in SB must use the fairgrounds and some other facilities -- so the fairgrounds availability drives the schedule to some degree. The other four years are open as to location, and depend on individual chapters to propose. There is no reason that one couldn't be held in Sacramento, but the local chapter would have to express a willingness to host one. But BTW, it's a lot of work, and requires the (unpaid) efforts of dozens of chapter members for a lengthy period. That may explain why not many chapters are putting in competing proposals any more.
            Hey Skip, I wasn't fishing for a meet here in Sacramento. I was just commenting on the weather. You would not want to repeat the last Sacramento Intn'l meet that was here. I think it was in the Summer and the daytime temp was about 145*. At least if felt that hot due to the mass amounts of asphalt the meet was held on.
            sals54

Comment

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, but I justwanted to thank all who care about this club for taking the time to post your thoughts to the Forum. I appreciate all who take the time to make their feelings known. As International Meet Chairman and the person who works most directly with the people who put these meets on, I thought perhaps it was time to weigh-in on this post.

I've been an SDC member since 1968, and have attended all the International Meets in South Bend over the years. It's only, in recent years,that I've taken a direct involvement in working with the chapter within SDC who put these meets on.

International Meets are put on by chapters or groups of members from Chapters. Thank goodness a number of the members of Michiana Chapter care enough to put in the many unpaid hours it takes to promote a meet in SouthBend. But, let's be honest: We're not a young club anymore and the people who attend the International Meets are not young people anymore. Most of us, me included, are pushing 70, or already past it. Finding volunteers to do the meetis a problem. The Warwick meet in June/July this year is being done by a combination of members from several chapters, and it's probably the future of the club. People are just not stepping forward to do the meets.

In the past, it's taken 2 full weeks for a person to take in theSouth Bend International Meet. Starting in 2017 at South Bend, our goal is to make the International Meet more affordable for all participants in terms of hotel cost, event cost, and travel costs. I think we're going to do it. Starting in Warwick with the General Membership meeting, people are going to see where we are going with the 2017 meet. I believe they are going to get the same kind of meet at a more affordable cost, in less days.

Kids are not the issue, and as Charlie D states: "What I observed in fact were more dogs onleashes than kids running around". I have no vision of us appealing to the millennials, but if we can get the 40 and 50 year-olds who now have the Studebaker their dad or granddad drove, that may just be the future of this club. If you see kids at our meet, it's usually Grandma and Grandpa who are bringing them to the meet, but they'rethe exception.

The Board of Directors is firmly behind this change, and the dates for the meet have been firmed up. Contracts are signed or will be signed.

Are most of you aware that only about 4% of our membership attend International Meets? Our goal is saving participants money $$$ with a outstanding meet schedule to boost meet attendance. The other factoris to show our Studebakers to a whole new group of people with a Saturday Car Show (open to the public) with trunk lids down, doors shut, and hoods down (because the drive-up judging will have been done on the days beforethe show).

We suggest you make a room reservation for the2017 International Meet in South Bend as soon as you can after Warwick, as rooms will fill-up quickly. A Chamber Music Competition is in South Bend the same week as the 2017 International Meet, and rooms will sell-out quickly.

Our list of events will be available at Warwick,and the General Membership meeting will include a Forum for questions. Our goal is getting participation up.With less cost and an event-filled 4 days, it could be the best InternationalMeet ever.

I welcome your comments at: dfoust@sdckeystoneregion.com

Denny Foust, Chair of the International Meet Committee.

Last edited by studeguy54; 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

As far as a four day event that gives plenty of time to do other things. Last year at the May meet
                besides the show on Saturday we manage to make it to SI's cruise night, the Gilmore Museum,
                Kokomo Auto Museum and the SNM. In 2012 because of the heat we packed up early Saturday
                and hit the road for home even though we wanted to go to the test track. I told my wife that we
                would not be going back for another IM. Change of plans, see you there in '17.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  Hey Skip, I wasn't fishing for a meet here in Sacramento. I was just commenting on the weather. You would not want to repeat the last Sacramento Intn'l meet that was here. I think it was in the Summer and the daytime temp was about 145*. At least if felt that hot due to the mass amounts of asphalt the meet was held on.
                  Understood. The point I was trying to make (not very well) was that the national club doesn't just decide to schedule a meet at a certain place and time -- a local group has to put together a proposal to sponsor a meet -- and ofttimes the proposal doesn't satisfy the requirements for great weather and a unique, desirable location. That is why some regions haven't had an IM in a long time.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by studeguy54 View Post
                    Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, but I justwanted to thank all who care about this club for taking the time to post your thoughts to the Forum. I appreciate all who take the time to make their feelings known. As International Meet Chairman and the person who works most directly with the people who put these meets on, I thought perhaps it was time to weigh-in on this post.

I've been an SDC member since 1968, and have attended all the International Meets in South Bend over the years. It's only, in recent years,that I've taken a direct involvement in working with the chapter within SDC who put these meets on.

International Meets are put on by chapters or groups of members from Chapters. Thank goodness a number of the members of Michiana Chapter care enough to put in the many unpaid hours it takes to promote a meet in SouthBend. But, let's be honest: We're not a young club anymore and the people who attend the International Meets are not young people anymore. Most of us, me included, are pushing 70, or already past it. Finding volunteers to do the meetis a problem. The Warwick meet in June/July this year is being done by a combination of members from several chapters, and it's probably the future of the club. People are just not stepping forward to do the meets.

In the past, it's taken 2 full weeks for a person to take in theSouth Bend International Meet. Starting in 2017 at South Bend, our goal is to make the International Meet more affordable for all participants in terms of hotel cost, event cost, and travel costs. I think we're going to do it. Starting in Warwick with the General Membership meeting, people are going to see where we are going with the 2017 meet. I believe they are going to get the same kind of meet at a more affordable cost, in less days.

Kids are not the issue, and as Charlie D states: "What I observed in fact were more dogs onleashes than kids running around". I have no vision of us appealing to the millennials, but if we can get the 40 and 50 year-olds who now have the Studebaker their dad or granddad drove, that may just be the future of this club. If you see kids at our meet, it's usually Grandma and Grandpa who are bringing them to the meet, but they'rethe exception.

The Board of Directors is firmly behind this change, and the dates for the meet have been firmed up. Contracts are signed or will be signed.

Are most of you aware that only about 4% of our membership attend International Meets? Our goal is saving participants money $$$ with a outstanding meet schedule to boost meet attendance. The other factoris to show our Studebakers to a whole new group of people with a Saturday Car Show (open to the public) with trunk lids down, doors shut, and hoods down (because the drive-up judging will have been done on the days beforethe show).

We suggest you make a room reservation for the2017 International Meet in South Bend as soon as you can after Warwick, as rooms will fill-up quickly. A Chamber Music Competition is in South Bend the same week as the 2017 International Meet, and rooms will sell-out quickly.

Our list of events will be available at Warwick,and the General Membership meeting will include a Forum for questions. Our goal is getting participation up.With less cost and an event-filled 4 days, it could be the best InternationalMeet ever.

Denny, very well said. Now, I hope that everyone will get behind the new format. Just as an aside, Thelma and I attended many international meets in the 70s and 80s while our young children were in school. They were left in the care of their grandparents. I realize everyone is not as fortunate as we were, having family who would fill in. However, where there's a will, there's a way.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
                      Part of that reason is that school was again in session. My son and I went for Sunday and Monday only because it was his FIRST full week of school. I could get by with him missing the first day, as there would be no homework or assignments. Schools these days do not always give excused absences to students just because their parents pulled them out of class. If it is for a vacation or something similar, they MAY NOT be excused, and their grades may suffer.

School in our area (Kansas City) starts the 3rd week of August (8/17/16 this year) and ends the 4th week of May (5/26/16 this year.) I would love to go, but the dates do not coincide with Spring Break or summer vacation either.

As I see it valuable for those that are interested in our Marque, I also understand that the current majority of the owners of our cars are well above the child-rearing years.

Don't worry everyone....They'll all be gone soon! Then we can hold it when you want it!!! (That's sarcasm right there!)

Yes, it would be nice to hold them at convenient times for everyone, but that will never happen. So, join every committee, every Chapter, and SDC, and make sure YOUR voice is heard in the OFFICIAL forums. If not, then tough luck. Maybe next year. I've been waiting for YEARS to attend an IM that was in the MW at a time I could attend. This was the second one in 16 years that has worked for us. The first time, our son was 8 months old. The second time he was 15. It may be a while for the next one, but we will keep driving our until we can attend again.

Either way, I hope they keep having them and they wortk out that we can go. We REALLY loved the one in SL, even if it was only for a day and a half.
                      Comparing the school start/stop dates above with those in use in many school districts in the Northeast states (start school a day or two after Labor Day, finish school around June 25) means that if we were to always avoid school days, the meet could ONLY be held in July or the first two weeks of August. That's when it's hot in most of the country. So except for the West Coast, IMs would either be hot or in conflict with school somewhere.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Wow Skip! I didn't realize that the schools on the right coast started that late and ended even later!

Yes, that makes it REALLY hard to find good dates if that was part of the criteria.

We can only attend those that are close and within our time frame. IF I ever retire, then I can attend. Unfortunately, at the rate things are going...........I still have another 15 years, no.....wait, now it's 17 years......maybe more........is it mandatory?
                        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Dennis, is the 4% attending IMs correct? 4% of 13,000 is 520 people. I thought a lot more folks than that attended the international meets.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                            Dennis, is the 4% attending IMs correct? 4% of 13,000 is 520 people. I thought a lot more folks than that attended the international meets.
                            (not Dennis) - I believe that you are missing one part. Four percent of 12,000 is 480, but that is MEMBERSHIPS, not people. Our memberships are for families, so for each membership attending there is an average of more than one person (two for all of the meets that we have attended in the past 45 years). IIRC, about 1000 people now attend SDC International Conventions.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studeguy54 View Post

Why no vision of attracting millennials? The president of our chapter is in his mid-30's. There are others of that age. Now if we are going to ignore this group it sounds like we are willing to watch the Studebaker dry up and blow away. I have said this elsewhere before it just simply sounds like the SDC hierarchy is willing to let this happen.

If the details of the 2017 IM will be announced at this year's IM when will those who are not attending? If it is going to be so hard to get rooms shouldn't we know the details as soon as those who are attending the IM?

I know you can't please everyone all of the time, but I would hope in our quest to bring in new, and younger, members we need to be more concerned about it than we seem to be.

I don't mean to be impolite here, but it is just that like many others I am very frustrated with the direction that the SDC seems to be heading.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

A couple of corrections from yesterday. I stated approximately 4% of our membership attend the International Meet. I received a correction onthat. Approximately 625 Registrations were made for last year's St Louis meet.Of the approximate 11,000 members of this club, that equates to 5.7% of our membership.

The dates of the meet for 2017 are set, and you can commit these dates to your calendar:
                                May 3-6, 2017. My comment said "Contracts are signed or will be signed". That was incorrect, as contracts are currently being negotiated, and will be forwarded to the Board of Directors of SDC for signature when completed.

I also misspoke when I mentioned a Chamber Music Competition is in South Bend the same week as the 2017 International Meet. They are ACTUALLY in town the week of the May Swap Meet this year.It was suggested to me to mention this in my post as you may want to make your hotel reservation soon for your room to be sure you get the location you want.

Millennials ARE important to this club, and I did not mean to slight any of you. JRoberts made the point that the President of his chapter is mid-30's,and we should not ignore this group. Indeed,new, and younger, members of SDC are vitalto the sustainability of the club.

As always, I'm available at: dfoust@sdckeystoneregion.com

Comment

Working...
                                X