2017 International Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Swifster
    No offense to the above arguments, but I can understand how South Bend is the vacation capital of the world in June... I'm curious how the '16 Meet ever ended up over July 4th. Was the punch spiked?

raoul5788 replied,

"It isn't, it's June 26th to July 2nd. BTW, were you involved in the planning of the meet? Are you privy to why those dates were picked?"

The 2016 meet is in RI where temperatures are usually moderate at that time of year plus the kids are out of school....

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
      It isn't, it's June 26th to July 2nd. BTW, were you involved in the planning of the meet? Are you privy to why those dates were picked?
      Nope...ENLIGHTEN us...
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Last edited by Bob Henning; 03-06-2016, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I attended a Chapter meeting? Did I join a Chapter?

Look, I get trying to make these the best events possible for all concerned. But I also hear a lot about the graying of the club. Having these events while school is in session when they could otherwise be during the summer defeats the whining. I get having these events in April or May in a place like Arizona, Nevada or the Southeast. But in the Midwest? You're (the club) cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'm sure 100* isn't the normal temp in South Bend in July anymore than 35* will be in May. I'm guessing that the cost of the fairgrounds only once instead of twice was the main factor. I just think exposure to the kiddies (and teenagers) will pay off further down the line than the cost of the fairgrounds a second time. Just my opinion and I'll leave it alone from here. And yes, I'll be in South Bend.
          Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

For those clustered around SB the weather makes little difference because they have to suffer through the summer months anyway. From where I live it's about 2300 miles and not going to drive a Stude through that heat again! My guess is that about 2/3 of the members are in the same boat. Thanks so much to the club for listening!

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
              Nope...ENLIGHTEN us...
              Chip
              '63 Cruiser
              '57 Packard wagon
              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                Spring time in South Bend....I look forward to it! A kick-off to the car show season, I cant think of a better way to start!
                No offense, but if you're just "kicking off" the car show season in May.... you might want to consider moving to a warmer climate. We did 3 shows in January alone. Sorry, but I'm really really spoiled for sunshine. My brother came out from Connecticut for a visit. It was a 92* shift in temperature from there to here in CA. And last year, his last bit of snow had not melted till May. My brother was shocked to see blossoms on the trees at the end of January. I don't know how you guys brave the elements like that. I don't think I could do it.
                sals54

Comment

In one breath the club talks about attracting the younger generation.....then in the same breath they book their largest event when students and families can't attend. This makes no sense to me.

For an upper-midwest event, wouldn't it be best to follow the car show calendar for that area? The majority of car shows in the upper-midwest take place the weekend after Memorial Day until the weekend before Labor Day.

Comment

Comment

I'm really looking forward to attending both this year's Swap Meet and next year's IM in SB, both in May. If possible, I'll be driving Stuey to both of them (and loading him up with goodies to bring home).
                      Mike Davis
                      Regional Manager, North Carolina
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I have asked this question before. How is a four day IM going to work. When I go to South Bend for the IM I really look forward to the drag races (I know this is not an official part of the IM but a lot of folks enjoy it. There were lots of folks at the drags last time around.) and driving on the track at Bendix Woods. I do not see how these things can work with the schedule I have seen for next year's event.

As for scheduling in May, this is an argument that has gone on forever, at least it seems that way. I am in the firm belief that if we truly want to grow, or even maintain our present size, we MUST think about family involvement. This means scheduling and promotion needs to concentrate on what makes family involvement possible.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                          No offense, but if you're just "kicking off" the car show season in May.... you might want to consider moving to a warmer climate. We did 3 shows in January alone. Sorry, but I'm really really spoiled for sunshine. My brother came out from Connecticut for a visit. It was a 92* shift in temperature from there to here in CA. And last year, his last bit of snow had not melted till May. My brother was shocked to see blossoms on the trees at the end of January. I don't know how you guys brave the elements like that. I don't think I could do it.
                          The IMs are sponsored by the chapters, not the intl club, so there is no "you" who should do things differently. For quite a while the Michiana Chapter and/or the Stude Museum has sponsored an IM every 5 years, to give us all a chance to get back to South Bend. Unfortunately, South Bend does not have a huge, multi-purpose convention facility with a huge parking lot and all the other amenities that an SDC IM requires, so meets in SB must use the fairgrounds and some other facilities -- so the fairgrounds availability drives the schedule to some degree. The other four years are open as to location, and depend on individual chapters to propose. There is no reason that one couldn't be held in Sacramento, but the local chapter would have to express a willingness to host one. But BTW, it's a lot of work, and requires the (unpaid) efforts of dozens of chapter members for a lengthy period. That may explain why not many chapters are putting in competing proposals any more.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

We're just happy the Michiana Chapter has the people willing to do all the work it takes to put on a national meet (as well as all the others throughout the country) so we can get together once a year to see the great cars and people. Thanks for all the time, expense and hard work you all do!

Ted & Mary Ann

Comment

Sorry, Swifster. That was to the "other" Tom, (Daytona).
                              Thanks

Comment

Charlie the reason there was no young people there is because school in sessions. Dusty

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X