• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Free!!?? 55 Packard Clipper HT Ebay

Here you go Packard folks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161977160739?rmvSB=true

Bob

I do want to have a Packard one day. And a '55 Clipper hardtop is on my short list. But not a project like this.........
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Yes, it is 'freely rusting', sitting outside like that!

Craig

Comment

I love it, Bob, but there's "no way" you could start at $2,000 on that car and hope to be done at less than three times its likely "value" as a restored car.

For the record, that specific model has one of the longest official names in Packard history: It is a 1955 Packard Clipper Custom Constellation 2-door hardtop!

They weren't cheap when new. Here's the only new Constellation sold by Palma-Rhoads Motors (Packard-Nash-Studebaker) in 1955, The GB color combination indicates it was Moonstone and Tourmaline!

As half of the Clipper Custom series (the other model being a 4-door sedan), Customs they were the only 1955 Clippers to have Torsion-Level Suspension standard equipment. It was offered as an extra-cost option on the lesser Super and DeLuxe series.

Nice cars. Thanks for the link, Bob. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There's another interesting Packard on e-bay right now.....a '56 Patrician 4dr in rough shape...but what makes this one interesting is the FACTORY INSTALLED 3 speed standard with o/d transmission.....a HIGHLY unusual feature!

Comment

So what was the '54 "Sportster" that he traded in?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              So what was the '54 "Sportster" that he traded in?

Craig
              Good question!................Looking up '5497' on the Packard Club Registry will give the model.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Good question!................Looking up '5497' on the Packard Club Registry will give the model.
                Never would have guessed its their clever term for a plebeian two door sedan!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Never would have guessed its their clever term for a plebeian two door sedan!! Craig
                  Not really plebeian, Craig, Sportsters were the fanciest of three pillared Clipper 2-door sedans available:

The three were:

Clipper DeLuxe Club Sedan, MSRP: $2,645
                  Clipper Super Club Sedan, MSRP: $2,765
                  Clipper DeLuxe Sportster, MSRP: $2,830

The only more expensive 1954 Clipper 2-door was a true, pillarless 2-door hardtop, the Panama. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/P...rSportster.jpg

I guess after a year the owner was getting tired of the "sound of laughter tossed back by the breeze."
                    Or maybe just wanted a V8.

Comment

The 56 Patrician states its not factory installed standard transmission, it still has the pushbutton ultramatic shifter on it

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                        http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/P...rSportster.jpg

I guess after a year the owner was getting tired of the "sound of laughter tossed back by the breeze."
                        Or maybe just wanted a V8.
                        Dan, it's amazing how often people traded back then; so many of my Dad's invoices like this reflect cars only one or two years old, like this Sportster, being traded.

We just don't realize it today when people keep cars so much longer on average, and cars are not as dated by styling as they used to be. I was thinking about that yesterday in church; our 17-year-old 1999 Malibu beater was parked out in the lot and didn't look all that out of place in 2016. But how about if it was 1966 and we had driven a 1949 Chevrolet to church in an affluent, upscale northern Indianapolis church? The '49'er would have stood out like a sore thumb!

I have invoices here reflecting a 1955 Pontiac being traded in on a 1956 Packard Clipper and a 1955 Studebaker Commander being traded in on a 1956 Commander.

To me, though, the most remarkable one is this: A customer trading a 1955 Oldsmobile 88 toward a new, 1955 Packard Clipper Custom 4-door:

All I can figure out about that is this: We know 1955 Packard production was terribly and inexcusably delayed. Most dealers, including my father, didn't get any 1955 Packards of any sort until calendar year 1955. Many sales were lost to competitive makes; even people who came in wanting to buy a new 1955 Packard or Clipper with a V8 and Torsion-Level ride simply couldn't do so; the cars were not being manufactured! I've often wondered if Mr. Jones, here, went ahead and bought the new Olds because he wanted a new car and then came back when Dad could sell him a smoother, more comfortable Clipper Custom 4-door with standard Torsion-Level ride and 352 V8 engine.

Mr. Jones' car was Paint Code MP: Citrine (a yellow) and White Jade. Mr. Jones was our family attorney, a good personal friend of the family, and a really nice guy. I well-remember Mr. Jones' yellow and white 1955 Clipper Custom, here; he took good care of it and liked it very much, and kept it well into the 1960s, long after Dad and Uncle Milt and Packard were out of business. BP
                        Last edited by BobPalma; 02-15-2016, 08:31 AM.

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                          The 56 Patrician states its not factory installed standard transmission, it still has the pushbutton ultramatic shifter on it
                          Wrong acolds!,...The seller states that the car came from the factory with stick O/D (a few did, but they are extremely rare!)

This Packard is in Liberty, New York....20 hrs left on auction

Comment

"For the record, that specific model has one of the longest official names in Packard history: It is a 1955 Packard Clipper Custom Constellation 2-door hardtop!"

In the 1970s or 1980s, I had one of those sitting outside my kitchen door. I finally drove it to the junkyard.
                            We had five or six 1955-1956 Packards. We tried to sell them with an asking price of $100 each. We gave up and drove them to the junkyard.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"Dan, it's amazing how often people traded back then; so many of my Dad's invoices like this reflect cars only one or two years old, like this Sportster, being traded."

In the 1950s, I only owned used cars, but did change frequently. In the 1960s, I started to buy a new car for a first/primary car. I drove my new 1964 for ten months. I kept my new 1965 for nine months before trading it in on my new 1966 Charger.
                              Now, my newest car is 15 years old.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X