55 K and C body factory paint/finish question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 K and C body factory paint/finish question

At the forward most point where the the rear fender bolts to the body there is a small filler panel between the fender and the inner panel. Did the factory seal this (cover with filler) joint or simply paint the area exposing the filler piece seams?
    Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
    ______

'51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica

The later.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The filler pieces were just slipped into place, no sealer(dumb-dumb or seam sealer). Studebaker, no doubt expected some water leakage that they, probably, expected to travel down the inside of the fender and exit the fender drain at the bottom of the fender. Many of us know how that worked!

Comment

When I put mine back together I dumm-dummed that seam. as well as the vertical seam at the front edge of the quarter. The entire quarter seam below the stainless trim and above the wheel was thus from the factory. Why not? !! While the quarters were off, and after the inner quarters were painted, I also heavily doused the whole area with Amsoil MPHD (Heavy Duty Metal Protectant and chain lube. This construction should not be required again in my lifetime.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
        X