Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ole 64
    replied
    I have the Phantom 66 that Mike referred to. It is based on the front part of a 64 Wagonaire mated to the rear cab of a 61 Champ. The bed is from the donor 61 stepside Champ. All is sitting on the 64 station wagon frame. Even though the truck is drivable, it sits tooo low at this time. I have new coil springs for the front and new leafs for the rear. My friend Jamie McLeod and I plan to make this change when he can break away from his job for a while. Plans are to put the new coils in but cut them down some. We will also lower the rear but not a taildragger.
    The person to contact on my build is the architect of this project - Rene Harger in Tennessee. He planned everything out and made it a running driving vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• LarkTruck
    replied
    An automatic column from a Lark. I used of have a bunch of these but I cannot recall what I did with them I'm working on a Saginaw steering gear conversion

You will need a column from a Hawk, the Lark is too short. Found this out when I put automatic in my Champ.
    JS

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Rich, yeah... well, already considered that wrinkle. I happen to have a donor roof, if I want to use it, from a '63 Wagonaire. However, I'd much rather do a bit of fabrication on the back cap and keep the headroom at this point. Besides, it looks to be easier than replacing the entire roof. Actually depends on what the welder has to say. In the end, it will be his decision.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Post Number 8, THEY HAVE!

Jeff T. I probably have all the pieces of a Champ you need, but I see NO Way that could go to Nebraska unless you are planning a Road Trip with a Car Hauler Trailer or Truck.

Ron: the rooflines are way too different from the '57 Sedans/Wagons to the '60 Lark/Champ to mate them.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    wonder why no-one has made an el-camino type truck out of a wagonaire?

Leave a comment:

• StudeNewby
    replied
    Maybe Wayne Elks will chime in here soon. He has a Phantom '66 Champ, and I've been dying to see it, too.
    Last edited by StudeNewby; 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• junior
    replied
    sounds cool to me...any photos of work done so far? cheers, Junior

Leave a comment:

• Jeff T.
    replied
    I'm giving it my best shot. The cab is 80% done, I need to finish the work above the back window. Welding wire is cheap and so is sheet steel. The list is a wish list of things I would like to improve. I can get by at minimum with a gas tank, perhaps the ps pump and as I clean out and pitch from the barn (I have extra v8 heads if someone wants them) I will find parts I need but as Joe Strummer said "the future is unwritten". I can have the engine and trans on the frame in an hour or two, less if I have help. The rebuilt 64 Challenger dash and wiring is in my basement wait to go. I have front clips from a 62 Lark and a 64 Challenger depending on the direction I want to go. I even bought a rear sway bar off an s10 that will work easily with ranger sway arms.

If you want reason hang out with Vulcans or Philosophy professors

my dream, my money, my time.

Jeff T.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Actually I like the idea too Jeff. I purchased a '57 four-door wagon to use as a donor along with my parts truck ('62 Champ) I plan on using the complete interior from the champ, cutting off the back bulkhead and trying to talk my friend the welder to attach it to the wagon behind the B pillar of the wagon's back door. You see, the back door of the '57 wagon is straight. Thus it makes things easier when pasting on the back-cap of the Champ. Hopefully I can adapt the Champ (or actually Lark) front clip to the '57. So, we're on the same track with similar projects! Would love to see pics of yours.

Leave a comment:

• StudeNewby
    replied
    More power to ya, bro. You're a better man than I am for daring to tackle such an intimidating project. I do love your concept: can't wait to see some pics!

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    ps. ok, let me have it for wanting to put an ohv six in a truck
    Jeff, anyone who thinks he can make a running, driving phantom truck out of that pile of scrap iron isn't a man who would be swayed by reason. Good luck and godspeed.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Jeff T.
    started a topic Shopping list for my Champ extended cab project

Shopping list for my Champ extended cab project

Hello all

I have been working on my Champ extended cab project on and off since the mid 1990s. It was originally to be a crew cab that got cut down to an extended cab and may still end up a regular sized cab. My cab is a one off based on the what if Studebaker updated the Champ when they changed the Lark's cowl in 1961 and 1963 when they moved from a wraparound windshield. My cab originally a 63 Wagonaire that was too rusty to fix but solid enough to modify, I only needed the front half The Champ that donated the cab back wall was an ex USAF Champ from Offutt AFB that the cab back was the only solid part left on the cab.

Well, things have happened and if I want to retain eternal project #2, I have to get it out of the barn, get it functional (ok, rolling again)and move it. I am using up all my spares that I have collected from scrapping out larks when I was much younger and hope everything works

What I am looking for or if you might know who would have it are:

A servicable power steering pump from a Lark, as long as it works, I do not care if it leaks because I need to mock up the ps and get it working. I do nor know if there is a pressure difference between a V8 or six.

While I am at it, anyone have a solid rear window section for a Champ. Mine is servicable but mice did a number to the window frame steel and its to thin to weld I brazed it 20 years ago but the steel is in bad shape. plus all the steel north of the window is gone. I think that I might need to move the window up an inch or two to better fit the 63 body

I figure I'll get to the truck in February and work like the dickins to get it functioning by spring. move it or lose it.

If you have or can point me to someone that may have what I want PM me, ship what we can, travel if we must

thanks to every one that has helped over the years.

Jeff T.

ps. ok, let me have it for wanting to put an ohv six in a truck
    Last edited by Jeff T.; 02-02-2016, 01:59 PM.
Working...
X