Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ID a 1953 Commander coupe hood prop rod?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ID a 1953 Commander coupe hood prop rod?

    My '53 Commander Starliner lacks its hood prop rod. Could anyone please either tell me where I can get a correct original one, or see whether one of these eBay auctions is for the correct type?

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/272093426868

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121855117212

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121856848754

    A million thanks!

  • #2
    Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to order a 299754 Rod from Studebaker International for $32.00.
    (Current catalog page 121.)

    Comment


    • #3
      Might be, but I'd prefer an original. And the eBay ones have free shipping, making the price difference less glaring.

      Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      Seems like it would be easier and cheaper to order a 299754 Rod from Studebaker International for $32.00.
      (Current catalog page 121.)

      Comment


      • #4
        None of the three shown in those ebay ads are the correct rod for a 53. The top one is for a Hawk, the next one for a truck or Lark and the last one, I'm not sure.
        sals54

        Comment


        • #5
          Hood Prop Rod 299754 ONLY $32.00

          Originally posted by handworn View Post
          Might be, but I'd prefer an original. And the eBay ones have free shipping, making the price difference less glaring.
          What makes you think this is NOT Original? It's even NOS, brand New old stock.

          The Wrong ones on eBay are, Old, Rusty and Used.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

          Comment


          • #6
            The images in the catalog show the prop rods for Hawks. The original prop for the 54 has a double bend, and not the single sharp angle shown in the images on the catalog page.
            sals54

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the first one is a early C/K one the number 2 is lark or truck the 3rd is GT
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California


              Comment


              • #8
                Well, there seems to be quite a variety of opinion. Can anyone who actually owns an original '53 coupe (or '54, if they're the same) take a photo of their prop rod and post it, for the record? I would very, very much appreciate it.

                Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                The images in the catalog show the prop rods for Hawks. The original prop for the 54 has a double bend, and not the single sharp angle shown in the images on the catalog page.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why not simplify your life, and just order the RIGHT one, and save yourself $34.00 in the process?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by handworn View Post
                    Well, there seems to be quite a variety of opinion. Can anyone who actually owns an original '53 coupe (or '54, if they're the same) take a photo of their prop rod and post it, for the record? I would very, very much appreciate it.
                    I will try and get you a picture tomorrow.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Where does it say it's NOS? I've looked both on the website and in the SI catalog, and it says nothing that I can see about whether this particular part is a reproduction or an original. It does specify with some other parts that they're NOS, but the fact that it doesn't say it for 299754 makes me think it's a repro.

                      As for "Old, Rusty and Used", that's what most people say about Studebakers in general. My answer to you is simply the same as my answer to them: I like what I like.

                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      What makes you think this is NOT Original? It's even NOS, brand New old stock.

                      The Wrong ones on eBay are, Old, Rusty and Used.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1703571Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1703572Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1703573
                        Here are pictures of my '54 K prop rod, same as a '53. As Sal said, it has a double bend, and is slightly curved in the middle. Hope this helps.
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          OK, so that makes your expensive eBay finds, THREE for THREE, all losers.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What's your problem? You're being confrontive and nasty about something that's no skin off your nose.

                            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            OK, so that makes your expensive eBay finds, THREE for THREE, all losers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A million thanks!

                              Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]51032[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51033[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51034[/ATTACH]
                              Here are pictures of my '54 K prop rod, same as a '53. As Sal said, it has a double bend, and is slightly curved in the middle. Hope this helps.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X