Is this GT worth the asking price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this GT worth the asking price?

Saw this GT online and just wanted to know if you all thought this was a fair asking price or has its value been compromised?

http://classiccars.com/listings/view...-arizona-85743
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

That Tuxedo or Penguin Interior may appeal to some, just not me.

I don't think it has exactly been "compromised', just overpriced by maybe $6500.00 or so.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Looks like a decent GT Hawk. It appears to be mostly all there and it hasn't been hacked up or compromised with a small block Chevy, so I would think the asking price is a good place to start negotiating. If it truly is an AZ car the body should be pretty solid. If i were in the market for another GT Hawk, I would be willing to pay $12K-$13K if it is as described and can be reliably & safely driven. Hard to tell without a close inspection though. It's not a show car but looks like a nice driver.

Comment

My 2 cents... I've owned a lot of GTs and I would not pay this much for this car. It appears to have had much of the outward cosmetic work done to it. Some of it done well, but the tale of the tape is found under the hood. It is obvious that it was not much more than a cursory refurbishing due to the amount of rust still seen on many of the under hood parts. Hoses that have been cut and left. Look inside that cut hose. It looks like 30 years of gunk is still lurking in that hose. Makes me wonder if thats also inside the engine. The asking price of $16,500 should get you a nicely restored GT which would include brakes, tires, engine, trans, hoses, etc. Even if the restoration was not show quality, it should show far more concern for details than what I can see here. My advice, keep looking. Again, just my 2 cents.
        sals54

Comment

I have the same car here in California, not as nice but a very good driver for $10,000.00 less, anyone interested?
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

See? Bob's got the answer for you Johnny on the Spot. Have him send you some pictures. You may be surprised.
            BTW, Bob, what are you doing up so late? I thought I was the only late night lurker out here on the West Coast.
            sals54

Comment

A few things bother me that I notice in the underhood pictures. First, it has the wrong battery. The terminals are very close to the hood. A proper group 24 battery has the terminals on the inside. I would also question the integrity of the hold down, certainly not where it was designed to be. Another is the fan belt. Ok, I'm being picky but why is the generator adjusted all the way out? Wrong part (belt) there too? The coil should be mounted on the intake & not on the firewall & the yellow paint on the intake would be the first thing I'd fix if it came into my driveway- hideous!

If I were in the market for a G.T. then Bob's would be one I would look into first.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It IS a bit rough around the edges...

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  See? Bob's got the answer for you Johnny on the Spot. Have him send you some pictures. You may be surprised.
                  BTW, Bob, what are you doing up so late? I thought I was the only late night lurker out here on the West Coast.
                  Sal, it is not late I just got done watching the basket ball game Oakland put away San Antonio with out much problem by 30 points. and this car is a nice driver could use paint as it is original white exterior and red and white interior.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

If you want I can check the car out for you. Who knows, it may be a GT I used to own 27 years ago that was a 4 speed/AC car that was delivered in Tucson. Personally, I know GT prices are high but just from the initial observations the price is too high. My Hawk sold new in Tucson in late October/November 1961.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ
                    Home of Lazarus

Comment

I was just wondering if the mods made to this GT, cut outs for speakers and such, would bring down the value. I thought that the asking price was too high for what I saw and was thinking that the mods would bring down the price even more.
                      I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

The mods you mentioned are no big deal. Nothing that can't be reversed. It is poorly done mods, patches, fiberglass over rust, bondoed over vents, hacked up frames, safety shortcuts, and poorly done work...that is the kind of stuff that compromises value.

Speakers, modern radios, wheels etc...those are mainly "negotiation" points. Negotiation points are one thing if you are a seller, and another if you are a buyer. The free market capitalist economy (adult) way is to make your deal, and don't look back. Good luck, whether you buy it or walk away.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

too high unless a Stude person gets to lift up the rugs everywhere to check out all floors & frame. Note: In another thread we can read that the most devoted of us believe prices of Studes are on the way down. Who in a biased group would suggest such heresy. I will, and GT Hawks will be the first grouping to dive due to the plethora of restored models during the last recession. I say this sadly as I have owned several GT Hawks and enjoyed them thoroughly. The 63' 4 sp was a blast even if I only used 1st & high gears....
                          Last edited by jackb; 01-27-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Looks like someone bypassed the heater core. Chances are that it leaks... but then again, it is in Arizona where one would rarely use it.

Comment

Working...
                            X