I need to know the capacity of the fuel tank in a '47 M5 pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to know the capacity of the fuel tank in a '47 M5 pickup

A friend is going to put his car on display in a public venue and the local fire department insists that the gas tank is at least 1/4 full and they will not trust the gas gauge. They want to know the total capacity so they can ensure that it is at least 1/4 full. Thanks!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

It is 18 gallons.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks VERY much Richard!
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Really, so you have to drain it and let them watch you pour 4 1/2 Gallons in it?

The New Car shows always wanted them empty, hence the Drain Cock on the Tank of the Factory "Show Jobs".
        I am surprised ANY Fuel is allowed.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm surprised it's a contrived problem at all. Too many TV lawyers seem to have gotten involved.

Comment

I am not at the display venue. I'll ask my friend to get an explanation from the fire department.

Comment

I think you can't have over a 1/4 tank to show. Fire hazard with full tanks if something leaks. At least that is what we face in Ohio on inside shows.
              Randy Wilkin
              1946 M5 Streetrod
              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

1/4 of tank capacity, locking gas cap, battery disconnected, and a dry powder fire extinguisher seems to be the norm for dislaying cars indoors.....

Comment

Working...
                X