Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lark on Scales

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Lark on Scales

    Has anyone on this board had a Lark on scales for the purpose of checking corner weights. I know for 98% of you this may be a foreign concept,
    but I figure if I'm going to hot rod my Commander, I'd like for it to handle a little better. I know the car weighs roughly 2850 pounds, and it will
    probably be about the same when I'm done. I'm trying to get close to front and rear weight to get new springs and shocks. I know most of us have
    seen the white Daytona that runs vintages races (I wish I could pick that guys brain). I don't plan on setting this up for full race, but I would like
    it to be a capable street car.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

    1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

  • #2
    Have you weighed your car and is it really 2850? I'm not doubting you. I would like to know myself as 64's weigh more than 59's and I have a 59. Mine came from the factory at 2600 and with what I've done it should be about 400 lbs more. It was a 6 but now an 8 with Ford 4 speed. Once it's back on the road we have a scale at work and I will weigh the car. It might work that I can weigh each corner but I have not done that before. That will be a few months off though.

    Len

    Comment


    • #3
      This one no longer has ANY Studebaker Parts in the front end except the sheet metal front clip I sold him after the wreck when it was hit while Parked at the Track.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula Daytona7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1703382
      Last edited by StudeRich; 01-18-2016, 12:53 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

      Comment


      • #4
        Sweet Pea (my '65 Cruiser) celebrated her 51st birthday last week.
        She doesn't mind folks knowing that she weighs north of 3300 lbs...



        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1703383
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

        3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

        past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

        past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

        Comment


        • #5
          You guys trying to make me feel bad? My 53K weighs in at 3,445 and I thought it was as low as you can go.

          Comment


          • #6
            My 64 Daytona Hardtop weighted 3350 lbs. I was out visiting my friend that races a dirt track car and he happened to be weighting his car at the time so we put it on the scales. I can't remember the weight bias since it has been over 10 years.

            Comment


            • #7
              Alan- If it makes you feel any better- try this one one for size~

              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3105.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1703384

              Nelly weighs just under 9,000 lbs...


              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

              3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

              past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

              past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

              Comment


              • #8
                A 1964 Commander 2dr sedan with VI weighs 2695 and a VIII weighs 2945. If you have a VI that now has a V8, the weight will be between these two. These are the base weights. Any options are added to this (OD, radio, ps, etc.).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  You guys are all light weight I just had my 63,avanti weight in 3720. lbs 3/4 tank of gas an myfull size battery in the trunk
                  Last edited by wise raymond; 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM.
                  rawise

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about front weight vs rear weight?
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

                    1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have always heard they are close to 60% Front and 40% rear, which is pretty average for a rear driver.

                      That would exclude Wagonaires of course, they have serious Rear Weight.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        A 1964 Commander 2dr sedan with VI weighs 2695 and a VIII weighs 2945. If you have a VI that now has a V8, the weight will be between these two. These are the base weights. Any options are added to this (OD, radio, ps, etc.).
                        So a Flathead would be slightly less./? Is this with 3 speed T86 not automatic?

                        I guess I'm figuring about right for the 400 lbs. I have added the 259, Ford Toploader, disc brakes up front, a 44 with flanged axles and LSD instead of the 27, Vinyl interior and headliner instead of cloth, but might have saved a little on the carpet instead of the rubber matting. The front springs are Moog CC655 so are a little heavier, front and rear bars from an 86 Firebird, and an extra trans crossmember from a 65/66. Wheels are Centerline and tires are 236/60/15 which feel lighter than the original. Not to forget the dual exhaust instead of the single. 400 lbs does not seem enough so once it's driving again I will weigh it for sure. As long as I can keep it under 3000 lbs I will be happy.

                        All in all it's a lot but will know for sure once it's weighed.

                        Len

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                          So a Flathead would be slightly less./? Is this with 3 speed T86 not automatic?

                          I guess I'm figuring about right for the 400 lbs. I have added the 259, Ford Toploader, disc brakes up front, a 44 with flanged axles and LSD instead of the 27, Vinyl interior and headliner instead of cloth, but might have saved a little on the carpet instead of the rubber matting. The front springs are Moog CC655 so are a little heavier, front and rear bars from an 86 Firebird, and an extra trans crossmember from a 65/66. Wheels are Centerline and tires are 236/60/15 which feel lighter than the original. Not to forget the dual exhaust instead of the single. 400 lbs does not seem enough so once it's driving again I will weigh it for sure. As long as I can keep it under 3000 lbs I will be happy.

                          All in all it's a lot but will know for sure once it's weighed.

                          Len
                          No "flathead" for 1964. The six was an inline overhead valve engine.
                          Yes, that would be the standard. Flightomaic would add weight.
                          The difference in weight between the six and the V8 is not just the engine. It includes the other lighter components.
                          Disc brakes are likely lighter than drums.
                          The 44 is noticeably heavier than a 27.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

                          SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Gary, if you are quoting those Weights in the Dealer's showroom book, they may be Ok for a rough guess, but can not be compared to an actual Liquid loaded, complete vehicle ready to drive.

                            They are quite a bit under actual, and called "shipping weights" but sure are not accurate, even after adding options as you did say.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Gary, if you are quoting those Weights in the Dealer's showroom book, they may be Ok for a rough guess, but can not be compared to an actual Liquid loaded, complete vehicle ready to drive.

                              They are quite a bit under actual, and called "shipping weights" but sure are not accurate, even after adding options as you did say.
                              I am NOT using "Dealer's showroom books". They may be shipping weights. That is why I refer to them as "base weights". I supply them mostly for comparison purposes (between models). Individuals can add the weight of options, liquids, etc., but the delta/difference between models stays the same.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

                              SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X