No announcement yet.

Planning my Bucket List trip to Hershey in October, need Hotel Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning my Bucket List trip to Hershey in October, need Hotel Recommendations

I'm planning on going to Hershey in October with 3 buddies to take another thing off our Bucket List.. None of us have ever attended. I'm looking for Hotel Recommendations ,West of Hershey. I know hotels close to Hershey get booked up early and are expensive and we are not wanting or needing such. We are willing to drive.........say an hour, to get to Hershey, and want to be on the West side,(the going home side). What do you recommend? Yes, this is a long ways off on the calendar, but we want to get the hotel reservations booked.
    Besides bringing lots of money, what other recommendations do you have for Hershey Newbies?
    Thanks
    John

I have only attended in a motor home. Then you can get (paid) parking right on the grounds and walk out to the flea market fields at the crack of dawn. Perhaps the four of you could share the cost of renting a suitable sized motor home (or trailer).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How much are you looking to spend a night? Harrisburg and Elizabethtown are close by to Hershey. I'm not sure if Elizabethtown has hotels or not. Harrisburg will for sure though.

Comment

Several at I-83,turnpike exit--also on 6mi south of turnpike on I-83 at Yocumtown exit. Only about 25 minutes from Hershey. I drive the Keystone Raffle Car to Hershey from that area every day of the Hershey meet when we sell tickets there. If you want more detailed info, email me directly at larkregal62@aol.com Gordon

Comment

Hi

You should try the on-line motel booking websites such as Expedia, Orbitz etc now to lock in rooms, still might be pricier but if you prefer a room, be prepared to pay. Camping on the grounds or in a nearby campground is the best strategy to give you the most time to take in the flea market and show on Saturday. Information can be found on the AACA home and forum websites: http://forums.aaca.org/

In general, comfortable broke-in walking footwear with frequent changes of socks, plenty of water/fluids to stay hydrated, your own provisions and snacks unless you don't mind pricey 'carnival' food (generally lousy), sunblock to prevent fall sunburn if a problem, a variety of clothes for every weather: rain slicker, umbrella and rubber boots, layered wear to fend off frosty mornings and cool days. Rule of thumb: if its sunny and dry, it'll be cool and frosty; if cloudy and warm, plan on rain. Always check the weather forecast for Hershey on-line a few days beforehand to plan accordingly. The tropical storm season coincides with Hershey, occasionally spoiling it with its rain shields flying off inland; 2013 the area received flash floods, nearly rained off. Pick up a show program at the AACA tents when you enter, invaluable for the first-timer. There is no entry fee being an AACA event, unlike Carlisle. If you camp, showers are available daily at the Herco maintenance building east side of flea market for six buck (money well spent).

Best route I've found to avoid wasting time in slow traffic: use I-81 north of Harrisburg metroplex to Route 39, Exit 27. The Route 322 directly from Harrisburg tends to be the worst clogged with slow traffic at peak hours. Others may have favorite routes, consider their advice too. Arriving early, at or before 7:00-7:30 am, waste less time in traffic. If you can also stay later, 6:00-7:00 pm than the general late afternoon rush to leave, you'll have more time to enjoy.

Steve

Comment

As someone who lives relatively close to Hershey, York, I stay on the field because of traffic. Steve has given good advise. Look for a motel in the Carlisle area as you may find more favorable pricing. If anyone in your group are ASC members consider the Northeast roundup the Sunday and Monday before Hershey, great group of people and we always do something interesting in the area.
            Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Thanks to all that replied. A lot of useful information I'm very familiar with the "HOW" part of making hotel reservations. What I was hoping to get was recommendations regarding specific hotels/motels. Stay here.......or Don't stay here........ Hotel descriptions are usually fluffed up, and the photos generally are old, so making a decision based on what the hotel tells you can be a little dicey.
              At this point I'm leaning towards the Harrisburg / Carlisle area. Any hotels / motels one would recommend, Pro or Con in this area?
              Thanks
              John

Comment

Hi John

I can't help you with any particular motel recommendations, haven't stayed in one during Hershey for fifteen years! Every year for most of thirty, except 1999 and 2000, has been camping in a car or minivan, roughing it for a few days. I think it adds to the experience, breaks the usual routine but admittedly isn't for everyone. The chain motels are your best bet for acceptable accommodations without unpleasant surprises. I recall the two years we used motels, they were Super 8 and Motel 6 in York and Carlisle, don't recall which is which, they're all pretty much the same.

For good eats at reasonable prices and fast service, open 24 hours, we hit the Cocoa Diner:
                https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+Hershey%2C+PA

Good Luck and Enjoy! BTW, don't forget your camera and make sure the battery is fully charged. The Saturday show day, you'll get to see all of automotive history drive onto the show field (AACA requirement). Arrivals begin at 6 am, must be on the field by 10 am, its an event NOT to miss!

Steve
                Last edited by 56H-Y6; 01-18-2016, 07:28 AM. Reason: Hershey show day recommendations

Comment

Here are a couple of hotels I have stayed in that I would recommend. I have stayed at others over the years but would not recommend them for various reasons.

2011 was the best.

Residence Inn Harrisburg Hershey
                  4480 Lewis Road
                  Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17111
                  USA
                  (717) 561-1900
                  $170.00/night
                  (this hotel included breakfast and the room was a suite with dining and cooking facilites, beds and pull out couch and fireplace)

2013 & 2014
                  Best Western Inn Hershey
                  Rt. 422 and Snipe Rd.
                  Hershey, PA 17033
                  USA
                  (717) 533-5665
                  $159.99/night + $10.00/night for roll-away bed = $169.99/night + taxes
                  (quite close to grounds and near the R&M auction)
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

To supplement what Steve said

There are a number of newly built chain motels/suites near the park and exits 77 (Rt 39) and 80 (Rt 743) off I-81. PA uses the mile marker for their exit numbers. Carlisle is about 30 miles away

Consider not using the Turnpike as they have raised the tolls again (which they have promised to do yearly through 2044!) It maybe close to $20 to get from New Stanton to Carlisle

Traffic to the site along 322 (mostly 2 lane with lights and a one lane exit) and 39 (one lane) is brutal. Try to get there early and stay past the normal 5:00 departure

Check the weather as noted (very important). The field is the parking lot for Hershey Park, the stadium and the hockey arena which means it is paved-no mud but rough on the feet

No admission but parking was $12 last year and is in the farmer's fields-interesting if it is wet

9000 spaces with about 3000 vendors. Still a lot of pre-war stuff and into the muscle car era. eBay has taken a lot out of the parts stream. Not as much literature as previous years.

Coordinate with known vendors so they bring what you need.

Most vendors were at Carlisle the week before and head over to Hershey and set up before the official opening. They also want to get home and many leave before the Saturday car show

Go to the SDC tent

Remember that the AACA doesn't consider anything newer than 25 years old. Don't be surprised to see 1987 LTD County Squires on the field

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                      Here are a couple of hotels I have stayed in that I would recommend. I have stayed at others over the years but would not recommend them for various reasons.

2011 was the best.

Residence Inn Harrisburg Hershey
                      4480 Lewis Road
                      Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17111
                      USA
                      (717) 561-1900
                      $170.00/night
                      (this hotel included breakfast and the room was a suite with dining and cooking facilites, beds and pull out couch and fireplace)

2013 & 2014
                      Best Western Inn Hershey
                      Rt. 422 and Snipe Rd.
                      Hershey, PA 17033
                      USA
                      (717) 533-5665
                      $159.99/night + $10.00/night for roll-away bed = $169.99/night + taxes
                      (quite close to grounds and near the R&M auction)
                      Thank you very much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 59 explorer View Post
                        To supplement what Steve said

There are a number of newly built chain motels/suites near the park and exits 77 (Rt 39) and 80 (Rt 743) off I-81. PA uses the mile marker for their exit numbers. Carlisle is about 30 miles away

Consider not using the Turnpike as they have raised the tolls again (which they have promised to do yearly through 2044!) It maybe close to $20 to get from New Stanton to Carlisle

Traffic to the site along 322 (mostly 2 lane with lights and a one lane exit) and 39 (one lane) is brutal. Try to get there early and stay past the normal 5:00 departure

Check the weather as noted (very important). The field is the parking lot for Hershey Park, the stadium and the hockey arena which means it is paved-no mud but rough on the feet

No admission but parking was $12 last year and is in the farmer's fields-interesting if it is wet

9000 spaces with about 3000 vendors. Still a lot of pre-war stuff and into the muscle car era. eBay has taken a lot out of the parts stream. Not as much literature as previous years.

Coordinate with known vendors so they bring what you need.

Most vendors were at Carlisle the week before and head over to Hershey and set up before the official opening. They also want to get home and many leave before the Saturday car show

Go to the SDC tent

Remember that the AACA doesn't consider anything newer than 25 years old. Don't be surprised to see 1987 LTD County Squires on the field
                        Again, thanks.........very good information.
                        John

Comment

As the date quickly approaches for the Hershey Fall meet, I have this newbie question for those of you on the SDC Forum that have " Been There Done That".
                          With 9000 vendor spaces, is there any consolidation of vendors by marque? Studebaker vendors in a particular field, Ford vendors in another field etc.?
                          Thanks
                          John

Comment

I've been to Hershey 5 or 6 times, and would like to get back again. The last time I was there I found Packard had a nice group in one area, but Studebaker and Model A parts were scattered about. I have always found Studebaker parts very hard to find except at the Studebaker swap meets, such as at the national meet.

Comment

As soon as you get there, buy a meet program. It shows the field layouts, vendors alphabetically and by make/specialty. A must have book for the meet. stupak

Comment

Working...
                              X