42 Blackout Champion - a rare sight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42 Blackout Champion - a rare sight!

Not something you see everyday. A short talk with the driver who was hauling it for the owner. Still, a rare sight I had to document:

First one I've ever seen.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Air temperature was 10 degrees. Wind chill below zero. Not the best conditions to tell a story in. Did get that the car served as a Civil Defense unit from the era. Current owner saved it from becoming a "Hot Rod". No chrome on the car at all. Don't know all the details, but it truly looks to be a '42 Blackout model.

Comment

Nice to see a rare car! According the RQ, they made 4612 Champion 'Model 90' in blackout trim. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-2012-calendar

Being a Civil Defence car, it would have got 'special privileges' at the gas pumps during the war!!

Craig

Comment

So glad you took the time to document your encounter! I'm sure that many Stude fans (myself included) have never seen one.
          ~Matt Connor
          '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

It does look like a blackout car built just before auto production ceased to help the war effort. I remember, as a kid, my dad had to tape the upper part of the headlights on his '39 Stude Commander. Supposedly, this would prevent any airplane pilot from seeing his headlights. I guess Civil Defense didn't realize that the headlight beams could be easily seen anyway.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It now graces the front cover of the current issue (May/June 2016) Antique Studebaker Review parked on a driveway with green grass and no nasty snow in the background. A very interesting car!

Craig

Comment

It does look like a blackout car built just before auto production ceased to help the war effort. I remember, as a kid, my dad had to tape the upper part of the headlights on his '39 Stude Commander. Supposedly, this would prevent any airplane pilot from seeing his headlights. I guess Civil Defense didn't realize that the headlight beams could be easily seen anyway.
                Rog

Well it does have a hood over the lenses. Thanks for posting such a rare car.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                X