12,000-mile 1966 Commander 4dr FS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12,000-mile 1966 Commander 4dr FS

I thought we had started a thread on this, but 'can't find it...so I'll leave it to Craig Parslow to dig it up and berate me accordingly... [Update: That has been done; Reference Post #2. ]

Anyway, here 'tis:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5392246936.html

I called the seller and the car seems legit. Plain as all get-out: 194 engine / straight three-speed; no overdrive. In fact, no nothing! He claims it has the OEM tires on it and promised to get back to me with the brand and style for verification, but has not yet done so. (Personally, I find it difficult to believe that such a plain car would have WSW tires as essentially the lone option, but anything is possible.)

He says he's owned it 5 or 6 years and bought it out of the Original Owner's estate with 11,300 miles on it. He says the Ohio title reads 011,300: Odometer Actual, but I haven't seen the title. So they've put about 1,000 miles on it during the last 5 or 6 years; understandable. Note the metal damage low on the LR door and at the front of the RF fender.

He wants $10,000 for it, which doesn't bode well when you consider this far more desirable car went for not much more than that in 2012:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/hf12/hersh...-sedan/1054338

Granted, the 194 McKinnon Six is a better engine than Studebaker's 170 Skybolt, but who cares at this point? Neither car would be driven much anyway or its value as a collector car would tank.

The '66's seller said they are members of SDC, but I cannot find the name in the 2011, 2014, or 2015 SDC Rosters. ????

I'd better not post the seller's name or phone number, since he didn't in the Craigslist ad. However, if you want it, just hit REPLY in the upper left corner of the Craigslist ad and that information will be forthcoming; the seller replied to my inquiry with a name and phone number within 24 hours.

If anyone is interested, have at it. I'm not going to pursue it unless the OEM tires are verified and it gets a lot cheaper. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-13-2016, 05:44 AM. Reason: updated from PFRC (Parslow Forum Research Company)
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

You did narrrowscope it to one car. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ll-be-so-happy!)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      You did narrrowscope it to one car. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ll-be-so-happy!) Craig
      Thanks, Craig; I had not read that post. (My spouse couldn't be any happier since "her" new, ordered Ruby Red tintcoat 2016 Ford Escape SE arrived. She enjoys it more than any vehicle she's ever driven, so we couldn't "stand" any more happiness in this household right now; hence, I didn't open Brian's thread. )

(I was sent the Craigslist ad via PM and did not know the '66 had secretly appeared here, disguised with other cars under a general heading. ) BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 01-13-2016, 05:48 AM.
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Just got off the phone with the seller after I asked him to go out and read the brand name off those allegedly-OEM, production-line tires. They are REGUL brand (yes, that's how it is spelled).

Those are aftermarket replacement tires; not OEM. I advised him accordingly and suggested he cease advertising it as having OEM tires. I think he might have believed me. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

One picture, guy really knows how to sell a car.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            (My spouse couldn't be any happier since "her" new, ordered Ruby Red tintcoat 2016 Ford Escape SE arrived.
            Lotsa luck, the 2013 Escape had 16 recalls!

I leased a 2013 Escape SE with the 1.6T for 3 years. Two of the recalls were just for the 1.6T. It's since been replaced by a 2015 F150.

And btw, the new Escape (introduced July 2012) has been sold in Europe since 2008 as the Kuga, so it's only 'new' here in the US/Canada.

Comment

I Googled 'Regul" brand tires and they have been around since the 60's, although I have never heard of them until now. At least they might be period correct replacements for the car. Knowing how tires used to wear, at 10-12,000 miles the original tires should be bald. If they have lots of tread they might be period correct replacements. I would be curious to see a picture of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                I Googled 'Regul" brand tires and they have been around since the 60's, although I have never heard of them until now. At least they might be period correct replacements for the car. Knowing how tires used to wear, at 10-12,000 miles the original tires should be bald. If they have lots of tread they might be period correct replacements. I would be curious to see a picture of them.
                Well...I would like to see the "SPARE!"...If there's a likely original tire...that's where it would be. On my 55 E-5 truck...there's where the only original tire is. And...by now, it is very spare. By the late 1970's...I recall that scrap yards would actually charge you a fee to haul off cars like that. It would have to be pristine for me to even be tempted to pay anywhere near the asking price.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Original spare

When I purchased my '66 Commander in 2013 (I am the 3rd owner), it still had the original spare tire in the trunk (Firestone)., which matched the notation on the Production Order "7.35x15". Compared to this car, mine has a few options - 230 engine, automatic trans, horn ring and full disc wheel covers. It had 30K on the odometer and given the condition of the original interior, I could believe it was original. Fortunately I paid MUCH less than this one is selling for!
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1703346
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

In my 1970 Plymouth Sport Fury 4 Dr Sedan(less of these were built than any other Sport fury configuration for that year)which I bought as a driver in 2002, a 20-30 foot driver but it ran good. It had the original spare with a Goodyear Polyglas tire that had never been run even had the nubs. It and the wheel looked like new. I probably could have sold it alone for almost what I paid for the car which was $400.00.

Comment

Working...
                    X